What to do, concerned for welfare of neighbour's animal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jinnyjinbob

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone could advise me?
I am concerned for the welfare of a cat that I think belongs to my neighbour. He is outside at all times of day and night, regardless of weather. He's always mithering around us and other passers by in the street, often miaowing constantly. He is quite a long haired cat, but his fur is all matted and discoloured and even through all the fur you can see he is very underweight, you can pretty much see bones. When you stroke him these are quite prominent to the touch. For this reason I have fed him for the last 2 days but can't continue to do so as I already have a cat and dog to care for myself.

I am worried about approaching my neighbours myself as I don't wish to interfere or cause an animosity. In all honesty I'm not sure it's definitely his cat as I've never seen him show it any affection or let it indoors. I just know it doesn't belong to anyone else nearby! I'm seriously worried about the cat, particularly if we get any very cold weather. I want to contact RSPCA but wondered if anyone else thinks I should go speak to the neighbour first? And if so what to say? I certainly can't sit back and do nothing! Poor kitty :(

I would just call RSPCA approaching neighbour may do even more harm!

I would call the RSPCA too and I'm glad you are feeding this poor little cat..I detest animal cruelty it would break my heart to see and I would definitely do something about it as the weather is getting even colder now :sad:

Oh the poor thing. I'm glad it's not my neighbour, that cat would be sleeping in my bed by now! But yes, seeing as you already have pets, and you can't just take ownership of it anyway, you need to ring the RSPCA. Let us know how you get on.

Call RSPCA or the cats protection. I think you have enough evidence that it's neglected. Poor thing.
There was one near me that at first was big and healthy and then started to appear skinny and then skeletal. I made up my mind to catch it next time it appeared and I tried as it was vomiting in my garden. But I've not seen it since 😒

Would anyone go and talk to the neighbour or just go straight to RSPCA? x

As the owner of an utterly badly behaved cat I would urge you to talk to the neighbour first.

You don't have to be confrontational, just ask if it's his cat first. You said in your first post that you're not sure it's even his, so that's a good starting point for conversation. You'll find out some further information to allow you to make an informed decision.

My badly behaved cat harrassed everyone in the street, he had a different name in every house, made himself comfortable on peoples beds, ate any and all food left out despite having food and water down constantly at home and a catflap left open 24/7 for him to come and go.

He was always wandering around in the rain, he had a skin condition that made him pull his fur out and I think the rain was cooling, however, a kindly (!) neighbour reported me for cruelty to the RSPCA. I'm not sure what exactly the neighbour wanted me to do apart from follow him around with an umbrella??? He's a cat...... he's was perfectly able to find his way home when the gas fire was on and shove his way in front of it, the catflap was in the same place when it was raining!!

If the neighbour confirms that cat belongs to him and you feel it's being mistreated then definitely call Cats Protection or RSPCA, however, you may find out other information.

Would anyone go and talk to the neighbour or just go straight to RSPCA? x

No I wouldn't particularly if it is his cat, and the RSPCA then pay a visit, he'll add 2+2 together.
Have you asked other neighbours if they know who it belongs to?

As the owner of an utterly badly behaved cat I would urge you to talk to the neighbour first.

You don't have to be confrontational, just ask if it's his cat first. You said in your first post that you're not sure it's even his, so that's a good starting point for conversation. You'll find out some further information to allow you to make an informed decision.

My badly behaved cat harrassed everyone in the street, he had a different name in every house, made himself comfortable on peoples beds, ate any and all food left out despite having food and water down constantly at home and a catflap left open 24/7 for him to come and go.

He was always wandering around in the rain, he had a skin condition that made him pull his fur out and I think the rain was cooling, however, a kindly (!) neighbour reported me for cruelty to the RSPCA. I'm not sure what exactly the neighbour wanted me to do apart from follow him around with an umbrella??? He's a cat...... he's was perfectly able to find his way home when the gas fire was on and shove his way in front of it, the catflap was in the same place when it was raining!!

If the neighbour confirms that cat belongs to him and you feel it's being mistreated then definitely call Cats Protection or RSPCA, however, you may find out other information.

Haha the vision of you following your cat with an umbrella made me laugh.
Most cats are users , they only let us think we own them.
I agree , speak to the owner first.
He very well might just need worming .

Thanks for your responses so far.... :)

I didn't want to speak to my neighbour initially, as if it did result in me calling the RSPCA I didn't want him to put 2+2 together and know it was me who reported him.
However, when I rang them for advice this afternoon they said they needed to know one way or the other if the cat definitely belonged to him, or if it was a stray as the cases would be dealt with in very different ways. When I told her I couldn't be certain she said I would need to have a conversation with him first to find out if he was the cats owner.

I weighed up the pros and cons and although I want to avoid any animosity with my neighbour, my biggest priority is the cats welfare. I decided I couldn't care less whether my neighbour hates me for reporting him. It's his own fault it got to this situation!

I went to speak to him earlier and was tactful about it. I asked if it was his cat, what his name is, and mentioned that I was worried about him as he is very matted and skinny and always outside. He had the cheek to say he was always eating, but that he hadn't seen the cat for a few days. Turns out his name is Felix.

This has to be utter lies because he's been loitering outside the house and iv fed him on my driveway for the last two days. (We live in a semi detached, connected to him!) I've never seen a cat eat so quickly so he certainly isn't eating regularly.

I rang the RSPCA back to confirm he is the owner and to tell them the full situation. Because he admitted to being the owner he can now be held responsible for the cats condition. They will be sending an inspector out and inform me of the outcome within 28days so I can keep you all posted.

At least I can sleep easy knowing I did the right thing. Ideally, I'd love to rehome him myself but I'm guessing it's going to take quite a bit of care and expense to get him back to full health, and with a cat and dog already I can't commit to what he needs :(

Some cats like being out all the time but if he's a long hair the owner needs to be brushing him every day so admitting he hadn't seen him for a few days is neglectful. Why wasnt he worried or out looking for him?

Thanks for your responses so far.... :)

I didn't want to speak to my neighbour initially, as if it did result in me calling the RSPCA I didn't want him to put 2+2 together and know it was me who reported him.
However, when I rang them for advice this afternoon they said they needed to know one way or the other if the cat definitely belonged to him, or if it was a stray as the cases would be dealt with in very different ways. When I told her I couldn't be certain she said I would need to have a conversation with him first to find out if he was the cats owner.

I weighed up the pros and cons and although I want to avoid any animosity with my neighbour, my biggest priority is the cats welfare. I decided I couldn't care less whether my neighbour hates me for reporting him. It's his own fault it got to this situation!

I went to speak to him earlier and was tactful about it. I asked if it was his cat, what his name is, and mentioned that I was worried about him as he is very matted and skinny and always outside. He had the cheek to say he was always eating, but that he hadn't seen the cat for a few days. Turns out his name is Felix.

This has to be utter lies because he's been loitering outside the house and iv fed him on my driveway for the last two days. (We live in a semi detached, connected to him!) I've never seen a cat eat so quickly so he certainly isn't eating regularly.

I rang the RSPCA back to confirm he is the owner and to tell them the full situation. Because he admitted to being the owner he can now be held responsible for the cats condition. They will be sending an inspector out and inform me of the outcome within 28days so I can keep you all posted.

At least I can sleep easy knowing I did the right thing. Ideally, I'd love to rehome him myself but I'm guessing it's going to take quite a bit of care and expense to get him back to full health, and with a cat and dog already I can't commit to what he needs :(

I just wanted to say well done you . As an avid animal lover myself I would have done exactly the same. I wish everyone would look out for our furry friends like you :)

definitely call the rspca

Well done. So lucky that some people care.
Just to say that I have a long haired cat. I groom her when I'm allowed but if I tried to insist upon it every day she would leave home :)

I hope something gets sorted now you've spoke to them. Personally I wouldn't of ring the RSPCA all they seem to do is put animals down.
The cats protection could of helped, we've had a stray in our garden he was happily rehomed.they helped with another cat in our garden where we knew the owner and when mum went to ask is that her cat (we knew it was) she said yes where is it? And mum said it's always in our garden now-and the woman said oh right I'll get her later! This was last winter and she never came round to get her-thing is the cat was on top of our shed all the time and the neighbour could see her from her house!
Anyway cats protection took her in aswell as they then knew the cat was unwanted. The RSPCA coming to investigate is just dragging the poor cats condition out even longer. Your neighbour will probably say he'll look after it from now on and it will just continue the way it has. Cats protection can help with paying vets fees or pay them all especially when they know the cat will have a loving home afterwards.
When are the RSPCA coming? If I lived nearer id be there now bringing the poor cat home haha x

So would I. I hate neglect. Makes me so sad. How do people live with themselves and sleep at night??

There's a cat like this on our street. Turns out he gets fed at not only ours but everyone else's house. We don't know who it belongs too he/she (haven't checked!) just comes to everyone's house. And gets fed and watered. My cat stays with us, hunts at night comes back with a catch comes back throws up her biscuits on the kitchen floor so she can eat her rabbit or bird. When we leave she goes next door and eats my nabours food too. Cats know what to do! Bonnie is looked after very very well, she's just a greedy cow. She also has another male friend who is massively fat who comes in our house and eats her food while she watches and then they bugger off together! Quite amusing! Xx

I hope something gets sorted now you've spoke to them. Personally I wouldn't of ring the RSPCA all they seem to do is put animals down.
The cats protection could of helped, we've had a stray in our garden he was happily rehomed.they helped with another cat in our garden where we knew the owner and when mum went to ask is that her cat (we knew it was) she said yes where is it? And mum said it's always in our garden now-and the woman said oh right I'll get her later! This was last winter and she never came round to get her-thing is the cat was on top of our shed all the time and the neighbour could see her from her house!
Anyway cats protection took her in aswell as they then knew the cat was unwanted. The RSPCA coming to investigate is just dragging the poor cats condition out even longer. Your neighbour will probably say he'll look after it from now on and it will just continue the way it has. Cats protection can help with paying vets fees or pay them all especially when they know the cat will have a loving home afterwards.
When are the RSPCA coming? If I lived nearer id be there now bringing the poor cat home haha x

Looked into cats protection league in my areas and there's a 5 week wait to take animals into their shelter! No way I was waiting that long!
The RSPCA said they shall pass the case on straight away to an inspector but didn't give me any details on exactly when they would send someone out, but just said they would have a complete resolution within 28days.
There will be 2 outcomes.... Either the cat is considered in such a bad way that it will be seized straight away, or they will give my neighbour some conditions which he will need to stick to to make sure the cat is properly cared for, and they will be in regular contact with me as a witness to ensure the conditions are being met.
Either way I consider them better options than leaving the poor thing as it was. X

Looked into cats protection league in my areas and there's a 5 week wait to take animals into their shelter! No way I was waiting that long!
The RSPCA said they shall pass the case on straight away to an inspector but didn't give me any details on exactly when they would send someone out, but just said they would have a complete resolution within 28days.
There will be 2 outcomes.... Either the cat is considered in such a bad way that it will be seized straight away, or they will give my neighbour some conditions which he will need to stick to to make sure the cat is properly cared for, and they will be in regular contact with me as a witness to ensure the conditions are being met.
Either way I consider them better options than leaving the poor thing as it was. X

Oh yes definately. as he is not treating Felix the way he should then I hope the RSPCA do take him and get him sorted and rehomed. Will they keep you informed? Let us all know how it goes!!x

I went to Tesco this morning and low and behold there was a woman there with a tin collecting for Cats Protection. Remembering this thread I got my daughter to pop a donation in. She was very pleased as she got a sticker!

Latest posts

Back