What to do, concerned for welfare of neighbour's animal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to Tesco this morning and low and behold there was a woman there with a tin collecting for Cats Protection. Remembering this thread I got my daughter to pop a donation in. She was very pleased as she got a sticker!

That's a lovely gesture :) x

That's a lovely gesture :) x

If it were up to me and I had no husband I would peobably be a "famous" cat lady with about 20 of the buggers roaming round the house.

I can't help much with this thread, but just wanted to say well done you for taking some action. I would hate to find a cat being neglected, hope the RSPCA home it.

I wonder if anyone could advise me?
I am concerned for the welfare of a cat that I think belongs to my neighbour. He is outside at all times of day and night, regardless of weather. He's always mithering around us and other passers by in the street, often miaowing constantly. He is quite a long haired cat, but his fur is all matted and discoloured and even through all the fur you can see he is very underweight, you can pretty much see bones. When you stroke him these are quite prominent to the touch. For this reason I have fed him for the last 2 days but can't continue to do so as I already have a cat and dog to care for myself.

I am worried about approaching my neighbours myself as I don't wish to interfere or cause an animosity. In all honesty I'm not sure it's definitely his cat as I've never seen him show it any affection or let it indoors. I just know it doesn't belong to anyone else nearby! I'm seriously worried about the cat, particularly if we get any very cold weather. I want to contact RSPCA but wondered if anyone else thinks I should go speak to the neighbour first? And if so what to say? I certainly can't sit back and do nothing! Poor kitty :(

We had the same thing with an elderly cat who was hanging around. I contacted the owner to say I was very concerned as it boiling hot and she was very matted and smelly. She was coming in to my house and taking my cats food and was suffering from upper respiratory problems. The owner said she was "just old" and she couldn't have her in as she was incontinent.
Next time she came in my house I kept her in and took her to my local vets the next day. The vet cried at the state of her. Straight away they shaved her fur, which had maggots living in it and phoned the RSPCA.
Because she was chipped they traced her back to her owner who was told that she had to pay the vet bills totalling £400 or face prosecution.
Think it was enough to scare the owner as the cat lived until the following spring and although old was in better condition.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

We had the same thing with an elderly cat who was hanging around. I contacted the owner to say I was very concerned as it boiling hot and she was very matted and smelly. She was coming in to my house and taking my cats food and was suffering from upper respiratory problems. The owner said she was "just old" and she couldn't have her in as she was incontinent.
Next time she came in my house I kept her in and took her to my local vets the next day. The vet cried at the state of her. Straight away they shaved her fur, which had maggots living in it and phoned the RSPCA.
Because she was chipped they traced her back to her owner who was told that she had to pay the vet bills totalling £400 or face prosecution.
Think it was enough to scare the owner as the cat lived until the following spring and although old was in better condition.

Where have you been Nearly Me? Not heard from you in ages!

Where have you been Nearly Me? Not heard from you in ages!

I have been incredibly poorly and this place was doing me no favours :)
Anyway, lets not digress ;)

Well done on contacting the RSPCA and speaking to your neighbour.

I've been contacted sooo many times by RSPCA for my cats, had 6 at one time - 3 very old and under vet care and 3 babies.
They've been out cause I don't let my cats out, don't let them in, don't feed them, keep injured and sick cats, cats don't look happy, cat was dead in the garden... Etc!!
Each call they got they had to investigate, I got to know my local one on first name terms.. All the allegations were rubbish and down to immediate neighbour who has issues.
Only once were they concerned and took my cat away and to the vet while I wasn't at home BUT as I had vet care proof that my old poorly cat was indeed being looked after did they believe me..
Charlie had kidney disease and a heart condition, each medication would affect the other condition so she was bought home to end her 15yrs with family, she was picked up at end of the road covered in flies...
Kidney disease makes their blood sweet so flies were attracted, found this out from RSPCA vet after I provided my own vet proof, they think she got out to find a place to die so it was decided best to put her to sleep.
My 'dead' cat was another very old cat 16yrs and had to have an operation done, she was shaved all apart from her face, feet and tail.. She looked hilarious but lucky to be alive. I was to keep her in constant view to watch for fitting etc so after weeks kept indoors I decided to weed my garden n take her out with me, I placed her in the shade under the bushes where she spread out and slept, I managed to mow and tidy before moving her back in doors... I had to explain to the RSPCA woman that the reason she didn't move when I mowed was cause she was deaf... Not dead lol.
They do do a good job, And come against bad owners all the time so if the guy is a good pet owner then they will know.. Even if they do collect the cat he will have to prove he cares for it if he really does.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

In our street we had a cat roaming around looking homeless, my neighbour looked after it feeding it and I used to leave a plate of milk out once or twice but we have a dog so couldn't do anything further but after a few months my neighbour took it to the vets and it wasn't microchipped so kept it, she is not happy healthy and very taken care of. We still don't know where she came from or who she belonged to but cars are so un loyal lol! She was such a friendly lovely cat I can't imagine anyone abandoning her but you never know, I just hope there is a poor old lady pining for her somewhere!

Any news on Felix??x

Any news on Felix??x

No official news from the RSPCA just yet. However I'm still seeing him around on the street so it doesn't look like they've seized him/ taken him to be rehomed. He still mithers around me for food and attention whenever I get out the car! Iv only fed him once since I reported it though.
But on the plus side, I have noticed he seems to be looking less straggly and scrawny so maybe he's being fed and brushed a bit more at home. Also he's not outdoors quite as often as he was previously. My guess is, the RSPCA inspector came out and had some stern words that have scared them into looking after him a bit better! A slight improvement. I'll see how it pans out and let you know. Thank you for asking :) x

Latest posts

Back