What to tell my boss ....!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linzimck2004

Reaction score
I am putting my notice into my work 2morrow and I need 2 tell me boss that I'm leaving ..... Do I tell her I'm just leaving ..... N make up a story if she asks .... Or do I just b truthful and tell her I'm planning going in self emoloyed ......... PLEASE HELP xxx

Hi, I'd say be honest and leave on good terms. I'm a big believer of never burning bridges as you never know when you might 'need' to ask the person for help. Good luck with your business :)

Just be honest, say you feel as though your growing, want to learn more, ie on your own two feet blah blah! Appreciate all the time spent at current job and if you ever need any back up to think of you! leave on good terms and dont steal her clients while working, it'll bite you in the bum! Good luck xoxo

I had to do the same! I just told her I'd be leaving in 2 weeks, as my friend got a shop and there was a room spare to rent. Explain how if you don't do it now you'll never know and it's an opportunity you can't turn down :)

I handed my notice in on saturday.

I'm renting a room just now and have just got keys to.my own salon so i was honest and told them why i was leaving.

First day back has been unbearable! They've now spoke a word to.me and have taken my key off me.

Got til the 24th to stick this place out!!!

Xxx

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I am putting my notice into my work 2morrow and I need 2 tell me boss that I'm leaving ..... Do I tell her I'm just leaving ..... N make up a story if she asks .... Or do I just b truthful and tell her I'm planning going in self emoloyed ......... PLEASE HELP xxx

I'd tell her the truth, I don't understand why you'd make up a story.
But be prepared for her to let you go the day you hand your notice in. Whether it's right or wrong so many salon owners do this to stop you poaching clients. X

Thanks everyone ..... I'm terrified .... I know when I tell her shes going to turn nasty m iv been here fir 6 years so it's 3 weeks notice I need 2 give ..... ?! In leaving to go freelance and I know she wont me near any clients ..... I'm not the type of person that's going to try and steal her clients but no doubt shel accuse me of it x

Either way be nice, be brave stick it out. Imagine you getting a client like your boss, at least you had time to confront it head on! Good luck! xoxo

If she let's me go do I still get my 3 weeks pay that I'd get from my 3 weeks notice xx

Say personal reasons then tell her on the last day. If she pushes tell her you simply can't tell her at the moment. This is what I did :) I was at a horrible place though, no one pushed it after I said personal reasons lol x

If she let's me go do I still get my 3 weeks pay that I'd get from my 3 weeks notice xx

She should pay you it if you have offered notice but she says no. But I think it would all depend on your contract xxx

With you having been there 6 years I guess you've paid full national insurance / tax, so your entitled to monies until the end of the notice period.

It wouldnt be your fault that she'd want you to leave immediately, so she would have to pay you for the entire notice period. (Hair Salons will try to act above the law but it doesnt matter she would still have to pay you even if she wanted you out immediately - Her loss not yours)..

If you ever needed to work for someone else your going to need a reference so try and leave amicably. It might help if you could recommend another employee for her :)
At the end of the day if she tries to pull a fast one then you can speak to the Citizens Advice Bureau they would be able to sort things out .....

I would sincerely hope that after 6 years of employment she would accept with good grace that it is time for you to spread your wings and move on.

I would definately tell her the truth and make sure you keep even and steady eye contact.

I always think to myself - who are you (or anyone) that I have to lie to you.

Offer your notice period and if she wants you to leave straight away tell her that you understand why (although you must have had at least the last month to start purloining her clients if you wanted to!).

I would also thank her for the last six years and for everything you have learned along the way.

If they are all mean to you after this, keep your chin up and continue to act professionally and stay polite .. cry when you get home ok my lovely then dry your eyes and think that in one month's time you'll be gone and working for yourself!!

And good luck with your new business.

Jacqui xx

I'd tell the truth. Have been through this recently myself. I was made to feel awkward after though :cry: Ended up leaving that weekend rather than the 2 weeks notice i gave.

I would sincerely hope that after 6 years of employment she would accept with good grace that it is time for you to spread your wings and move on.

I would definately tell her the truth and make sure you keep even and steady eye contact.

I always think to myself - who are you (or anyone) that I have to lie to you.

Offer your notice period and if she wants you to leave straight away tell her that you understand why (although you must have had at least the last month to start purloining her clients if you wanted to!).

I would also thank her for the last six years and for everything you have learned along the way.

If they are all mean to you after this, keep your chin up and continue to act professionally and stay polite .. cry when you get home ok my lovely then dry your eyes and think that in one month's time you'll be gone and working for yourself!!

And good luck with your new business.

Jacqui xx

Excellant advise. Same from me :)

She sounds like my old boss! V.bitchy and childish! She told every client that asked where I was that I had gone travelling!!!! So I didn't have a chance of getting them. Then the ones who contacted me through facebook got a phonecall from her asking why they had not come back and who was doing their hair!! They told her where to go! Ha. Ignore her if she turns nasty, if you've told the truth, you have done all you can do, and it's your right to leave!! you will be the better person n most of all you can leave with your head held high. More fool them :) x

Anytime I ever gave a notice I was asked to leave that day. So be ready to go if you have to.

That isnt legal.

I'm afraid it is not illegal...

As long as they don't withhold monies, it's at management discretion when deciding on leaving immediately or allowing notice period.

ACAS are great for this advice though or CAB.

At the end of the day, to OP, you work there, they pay you for work you do. They don't own you! You should not be feeling trapped like that.

But if she's going to make you feel that crappy, then I wouldn't say a word just Dear Boss, due to unforeseen circumstances in my personal life which I cannot discuss, I can no longer commit to working for you. Please accept this letter as my 3 weeks notice. I trust that I will receive my final pay and P45 on DATE and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the last 6 years. Apologies for any inconvenience caused. Blah

Something like that...

At worst she'll think you are pregnant or dying!

Good luck

H xx

It's illegal where I live!

Latest posts

Back