What would u do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carend

Reaction score
Hi,I'm on a total downer now...bear with me...sorry
did my MILs nails last night and they looked really good and was quicker than normal too
Today she was in work and apparently got loads of compliments on them-and one lady who said she really liked them-the MIL went on to tell her that u have to get them re-done every 2 weeks-so she got less keen,and she said u have to be really careful with them and not to do things like gardening with them!So this put the woman off completely!!!
I have No problems with my own nails-i haven't broken one in months and months-and i'm a bit naughty-never wear rubber gloves and always forget to use solar oil-i do gardening too-and i never have problems-and i also generally go 3weeks sometimes more between rebalances-unless i get bored!
So is it just me or is she now starting to affect my business by "advertising" my nails for me in this way?!
I am absolutely mortified and my other half can't understand why i'm upset and now he's havin a strop on me coz again if i'm pissed off with his mum he gets the hump!
So what would u do in my situation
His reply was, but she only told a friend-thats not gonna matter-whereas i see word of mouth as everything!Now this woman has got my card so more than likely she will think she knows where NOT to go to get her nails done!!!!
Its at times like this i wonder why the hell i'm bothering-I'm never gonna build a client base with her as my customer repeller:cry:

awww doll i wouldnt worry to much, it seems you mil is very happy with her nails, but i presume you gave her this info she is so keen to share with others. Maybe explain to her that each individual is different, for someone with long oval extension, yes gardening wudn be a great idea, but if someone had short soft square extensions it wud be possible, it also depends on the heavy handedness of the client. As for refills/rebalances it's also an idividual thing, some nails grow faster than others. I would say that on a new set on a new client i wud tell them to come back in two weeks to see if they need refilling, if a client can get away with three weeks they are happier. Dont get too disheartened...and dont insult ur others halves mam..haha, u wudn like it if he did! seriously thought tell her that the info you gave her was for her specifically and each new client will have a consoltation as to wat suits them best, if a new client is a keen gardener and out there every day u wudn give her long delicate nails...

Yeah thats very tru-i can see what your saying and thanks!!!:hug: but the only thing that pisses me off is she constantly abuses the nails because she's only paying a "donation" for them-so thats the reason she's still on 2 week rebalances-she rarely even goes a week without having some kind of mishap-and this pisses me off enough as it is without her adding to my pissed off-ness by scaring possible clients away if u know what i mean...I know i probly shouldn't let it wind me up so much but I'm trying really hard to build up a client base and as u guys know thats not a quick or easy thing to do-and i just see this as throwing me halfway back down the ladder again:sad:
Oh and hers are really short and squareish now as i thought it was the length causing her the problems-but noooo that didn't work either-its coz she's a typist but in her own words she's been doing it too long to change the way she does it-i.e using the pads of her fingers on the keys instead of the nails!:grr:

Grrrrr at MIL's!

Don't worry.. you'll have plenty of happy customers and people wont take any notice of her really, if the nails look good.. they will want to make their own minds up!

Does your MIL know this woman really well? If this woman isn't likely to keep up her maintenance, or is really rough and your MIL knows this about her, she might have been doing you a favour. There have been times when I've been talking to hairdressing clients about putting enhancements on and I've basically had to say "If you aren't going to maintain them, you are better off just getting party tips for special occasions."
But if that isn't the case, then I totally sympathise with you. I've had the salon owner drop a few comments to clients that have left me flabbergasted. I had to mention to her that it's better if I consult with the clients, because I can LOOK at their nails and talk to them about their lifestyle and relevant hobbies and figure out the best way to approach the situation.
But I'm wondering if it's just this one woman she has said this to, or if that's the kind of thing she tells everyone. Also I agree with CadenceAlex... One person isn't going to give you a bad reputation ;)
:hug: It's irritating but you'll be fine.

I would just say 'Oi! Dont say that! Tell everyone they last ages!!!'

She's probably just babbling as us women do and not realising what she is saying!

Other than that wack her with your file!!!!

Lol thanks everyone!
i think maybe i took it to heart too much-these blinkin pregnancy hormones never agree with me!Lol
But i'm not sure how well she knows this woman or if this is what she tells everyone about teh nails etc etc so maybe i need to sit her down for a "chat" about them-and failing that if she still doesn't understand that not everyone can ruin a set of nails in a few days then maybe i will have to think twice about keeping them done for her,coz sometimes i just feel its more hassle than its worth.
Never mind
Thanks again everyone!
:hug: x x x

Tell your clients they can do as they please with their nails all they have to do is wear gloves, tell your MIL too. and for the rough, and tough clients tell them you do repairs as needed.... LOL

Just have them remember their nails are Jewels not Garden tools LOL

yeah thats very true will tell her that if i ever feel like broaching the topic to her!
I think my other half may b planning to have words with her now tho as i was a tad upset yesterday :cry:
Thanks for your help tho!:hug:xxxx

Latest posts

Back