What would you do about this no show?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kizzycat

Reaction score
Hey guys.
Ive been renting a room in a salon for about 5 weeks now. I dont normally work on a Wednesday but because this client couldnt make any other day, i said i would go in after i finish my other job (i didnt take the booking, one of the hairdressers did, she called to make sure it was ok first). so i went there today and the lady's appointment was 3.00. I arrived at the salon for about 2.40 and set up my stuff ( she was having a spray tan and gel polish). The salon is right beside the school and gettig parked is a bit tricky at this time because of the school. anyway, at 3.05pm i gets a call from the client. she was quite indignant about why there were so many cars parked there, demanding "what was going on", saying that she "wasnt going to get another ticket" as she had done in the past. She asked what time the school gets out and i told her 3.20pm. she said "what is the latest time I can come"? I said "I will give you until 3.45"which i thought was more than reasonable. she said she would be down before then when the cars had disappeared.

anyway 3.45 came and went and there was no sign of her. I actually left the salon at 4.30 and there was no sign or phone call.

It has got me thinking. I havent got a cancellation policy but if i did have one, becase I wasnt in the salon at the time of booking, and the hairdresser took the booking, at what point or where do you need to point out what your cancelation policy is? I would problaby put it on my price list, but what if she didnt take a price list to see my cancellation policy. she could easily turn round and say she didnt know what the cancellation policy is.

I have now told the hairdresser that if anyone else wants to book in for appointments when i am not scheduled to be there to take a 50% deposit. what does everyone else do and what would you do in this situation?

i think this client has been twice to the salon, so she would have a record card with address etc. But thats also where the problem is, becuase i rent a room and she is a client of the hairdresser, i dont want to cause bad feeling between me and the hairdresser if i was to lose her a client by insisting on a no show.

It's nit fair but take it as a hard lesson. And for "special" appointments I think deposits are fair.
As for cancellation policy's, put it on your price lists and on Facebook/website. If for some reason someone hasn't got a price list or looked online too bad.
If someone gives you a number for a hotel you wouldn't have the cancellation policy in front of you, and if you didn't have the Internet couldn't look it up, but that's no excuse for not following their policy. Xoxo

We have a black book of Naughty Clients for No Shows & clients who have cancelled last minute (within 24 hours.) So each time something happens, even if they are ill we write it down....as some people are 'ill' and after 3 times of being 'ill' it's good to have dates and a note of how much of your time you have held back for them that has not allowed you to fit in another appt.

We have the columns for the date, client name, client treatment cancelled and value, reason, other business turned away Y/N and outcome. People are mainly really sorry but if some keep being logged I'll just tell them!

For this lady, if shes a regular to the rest of the salon...then just phone her up when you are next in and explain your new cancellation policy(if you want one) and just tell her you were upset she didn't show as you came in especially for her. This should be enough.

For christmas eve and New years eve everyone has to pay in full up front, and no body has any probs with that :) and i very rarely do things on my day off....mainly as I work 6 days a week with two late nights so clients should organize themselves better!

I wouldn't say or do anything,let the hairdresser know never to book this particular client on your day off again.If she rebooks in a time you're working,ring her & say your cancellation policy even if you just have one you announce to no shows & it's not on your price list etc,they are hard to enforce.
Personally because I work from home so don't have anyone to work in with like the hairdresser,if a new client does this without a valid reason & doesn't bother saying sorry I never book them in again!!I have a toddler to work around & often my Mum is minding him for the day to do a few clients so if people think nothing of not turning up i think nothing of never booking them in again.It's just disrespectful to your time & I find once I say no I'm flat out once after the occurance they won't try again.If they did I'd keep saying I'm booked up!!
I honestly can't believe somebody did that to you,so rude!!

From what you are saying it appears that the lazy bitch could not be bothered to park further away from the salon & walk in because the Mums collecting kids were taking up all the nearest spaces? If so, next time she tries to book charge her in full for her treatment at time of booking. Either that or sack her, you don't need clients like that.

Also, if you do make appointments on your day off then I think it's also reasonable to take full payment at time if booking, non refundable.

Obviously this will only work if you have a card machine.

I would be furious as it's down right rude and shows no consideration for you or your business so on that note I wouldn't give a toss about upsetting the Hairdressers. You may find they have had similar problems with this client anyway.

Toughen up treacle! x

Next time take a 50% non refundable deposit by card machine or via BACS especially on days you don't normally work.

I take deposits for all my bookings and have no problems with this as client have come to expect to pay deposits to secure hair/ beauty services these days

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back