What Would You Do? Annoying Client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emily S

Cheap ain't nice and nice ain't cheap <3
Reaction score
Before Christmas I had a client who would have her nails done weekly, whether it be her toes or fingers, she was always booking in for something and seemed pleased with my work.

Then, mid-December, whilst doing her a set of acrylic enhancements, her little girl (who's 2), came over to the table (I'm mobile and was working in their home) and poured my powder into the liquid. Fortunately there was only about 10 sets worth of powder left in my pot and I didn't have any more clients that day but it did mean that I had to go straight to Sweet Squared for the bookings the next day.

Anyway, she didn't offer any money but I asked her to round up the cost of what she owed, £22 - I asked for £30 .. not a lot really since her daughter had just lost me £200 worth of acrylic, and that's me pricing nails at the lower end of the market, it would've been more of a loss to other techs!!:rolleyes:

..Since then, she has asked me many MANY times to go and do her fingers with Shellac, acrylic, MINX and also asked for eyelashes but within hours of booking she finds an excuse to cancel and it's driving me insane!

Feb - Does Shellac go on toes? Yes. Okay well i'm growing my nails so will be in touch soon. Okay, no probs.

..one week later. Hi Emily, any appointments today? Yes, 3pm any good? Yeah cool, how much? £24.. 2 mins later.. Shiit I can't do that time, got dentist, i'll leave it for today!

March - Made a booking for eyelashes via Facebook. Text me 3 hours before due to go to her to say that her daughter was ill so could we leave it.

April - 4th. Hi Emily, how much for fingers & toes Shellac'ed and eyelashes? Gave price. Okay i'll book next week when I see my diary!

The next day... Emily, are you free tomorrow for a set of tips? I started getting fed up so said no (even though I was) but that I was free on Friday. Her reply - No I'm working :rolleyes: .. 2 hours later... Anything tonight? Sent at 19.32!!!!!:eek:

I replied at 21.11 as i'd been busy working saying that i'd only just seen the message, she didn't reply.

April 19th. Do you have red Shellac? Yes I do. Okay, don't know whether to have that or MINX? ..entirely upto you I've got both. Think I'll have cheetah. After a few messages, she said she wanted Thursday morning.

Later that evening, she remembers she had to go get some shopping so could I do the Thursday evening instead, I couldn't/wouldn't so we left the booking.

May - 8th. Any chance of my nails doing on Thursday? Yep, what time? 1.30pm? Yes, booked you in.

Today. Any chance of doing my nails tomorrow instead? Yeah, i've only got 1.30 free though. Ye that's fine.

...5 minutes later... she remembers she is working nights tonight and doesn't know if she'll be up in time.

I reply saying okay do you want to go back to the Thursday booking and she isn't replying.

Arrrrgh, as you can see it is VERY VERY frustrating!!!!! I'm sorry for the long post, hope it isn't too confusing - I just wanted to give a real feel for what she's like, what would you do?

She was a fab customer before Christmas and now she drives me insane!:irked:

I think this woman is lonely and wants to be ur friend lol x

Some clients are just very trying to say it kindly. That's the service industry. You have to put up with it or send her packing. Personally I'd put up with it unless she was costing me money by just not turning up etc. And not letting me know. I think would try to 'bring her to heel' by only offering her the last appointment in the day so that if she cancelled, it wouldn't bother me. Lol

Some clients are just very trying to say it kindly. That's the service industry. You have to put up with it or send her packing. Personally I'd put up with it unless she was costing me money by just not turning up etc. And not letting me know. I think would try to 'bring her to heel' by only offering her the last appointment in the day so that if she cancelled, it wouldn't bother me. Lol

I do exactly this with this personality, offer them the last booking of the day. Yes I agree it is very frustrating but I would stay with it as in my experience this type of client can turn out to be your most loyal (after a frustrating start lol) :)

Could be entirely wrong, but it kinda smacks of a petty vendetta about charging for the wasted powder and she has no intention of having you do her nails again?

Bit extreme and might be totally wide of the mark here, but what are you getting out of her in the way of business since this incident?

I wouldn't put up with it. Call her on it , its just not normal behaviour!

Good idea to give the last booking.... could you tell her in not so many words that she is wasting your time? Nothing heated just a simple "I can fit you in, but it would have to be the last booking as you are having problems making it to booked appointments and I have other clients to book in too."

Lol, I wouldn't mind if that was her intention as she was an okay kinda girl.

Could be entirely wrong, but it kinda smacks of a petty vendetta about charging for the wasted powder and she has no intention of having you do her nails again?

Bit extreme and might be totally wide of the mark here, but what are you getting out of her in the way of business since this incident?
Having thought about it, I do actually think i've been to her once since the incident & she gave us a Christmas card but I do think there's something strange about it all - I really don't get it at all?

I've noticed on pics that she's uploaded on Facebook that she has had her nails done somewhere else since then, around March time which I couldn't care less about but just wish she'd stop making bookings and pratting around - it has made me wonder whether she's doing it for her new nail lady though as a little tactic to find out my prices and waste slots? ..or am I being paranoid Lol...

I wouldn't put up with it. Call her on it , its just not normal behaviour!
She still hasn't replied to my last message re the booking on Thursday, looks like she doesn't want that one either! :rolleyes:

I want to say something but think whatever it says looks like i'm being petty as, like Geeg says, she's not leaving me out of pocket apart from the few minutes i'm taking out of my day to reply to her texts!

I don't have a 'last appointment' in the day as I work all hours pretty much, I've tried offering slots that I know she wouldn't want but the ending never changes.

I'm baffled.:irked:

i wouldn't put up with it, no way. i would ask her for a deposit for every booking she wants, you'll see if she's taking the p soon enough because she wont want to pay a deposit. 'an appointment for such and such a day at such and such a time isn't a problem at all, but i will have to charge such and such an amount due to a couple of clients messing me around lately by canceling/changing appointments last minute' at the end of the day you've got nothing to lose because you aren't getting anything off her!

i can't believe she let her kid do that! honest to god it just amazes me how parents can let their kids do what they want and then not expect to pay for it!! they wouldn't let their kid act like that in a salon because it's dangerous and rude to start fiddling around with everything but when it's at home it's ok because liquid/powder/chemicals aren't dangerous in your own home... obviously! x

Agree with miss confused!
I can't be bothered to play games with clients let alone ones that never end up booking!!
So she has had ONE appointment since Christmas... Is all the texting,booking,cancelling and hassle worth what you got paid for that one treatment?

I'd ask for a deposit on next booking and explain I'm very busy so can't keep cancelling appointments as your losing out of other clients ect x
Or would explain I cant keep booking and cancelling if she would like an appointment she will have to just call me as and when she wants it to see if I'm free I won't make her appointment anymore xx

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek

Agree with miss confused!
I can't be bothered to play games with clients let alone ones that never end up booking!!
So she has had ONE appointment since Christmas... Is all the texting,booking,cancelling and hassle worth what you got paid for that one treatment?

I'd ask for a deposit on next booking and explain I'm very busy so can't keep cancelling appointments as your losing out of other clients ect x
Or would explain I cant keep booking and cancelling if she would like an appointment she will have to just call me as and when she wants it to see if I'm free I won't make her appointment anymore xx

How would I get the deposit though?

I'd have to go and collect it from her, by the time i've actually got there she'd have remembered having to do something else or that she doesn't have the money there - do you think I should send her a message now so that she knows for next time, otherwise I'm going around in circles..

I feel like deleting her from my Facebook - childish, I know - but then she may get the hint and not even bother to book again! Problem solved then :green: ..or maybe not!:irked:

This would really anoy me to :confused: id just be fully booked everytime she calls at least for the next few weeks , ya cant put up with that all the time

I may be a little harsh but I wouldn't even reply to her texts anymore. A total waste of time and I would rather not have a client than an inconsiderate, disrespectful one. I don't tolerate this sort of behaviour in my personal life and I certainly wouldn't tolerate it in my business life either. The average person may have to cancel and rearrange appointment times every now and then but she is being ridiculous! It sounds like she may be obtaining information on your products and prices for a competitor too in which case she is not going to benefit you in anyway.

I may be a little harsh but I wouldn't even reply to her texts anymore. A total waste of time and I would rather not have a client than an inconsiderate, disrespectful one. I don't tolerate this sort of behaviour in my personal life and I certainly wouldn't tolerate it in my business life either. The average person may have to cancel and rearrange appointment times every now and then but she is being ridiculous! It sounds like she may be obtaining information on your products and prices for a competitor too in which case she is not going to benefit you in anyway.
Yeah, I think this is the best way forward. It probably suits me best, I just didn't know if I was being completely unprofessional but then again, who cares, it saves me of her random hassle every now and again.

If you've only seen her once since Christmas then i wouldn't let her book in again. Think how much of your time and energy she's wasted with phone calls, texts etc. I'd tell her that you've had a problem with clients cancelling appointments and you need a deposit that she can post to you. That will show you what her intentions are. It sounds like you're fed up of it...life is too short and whilst you've not lost money, you've not made any either. Hope you get it sorted.

If you've only seen her once since Christmas then i wouldn't let her book in again. Think how much of your time and energy she's wasted with phone calls, texts etc. I'd tell her that you've had a problem with clients cancelling appointments and you need a deposit that she can post to you. That will show you what her intentions are. It sounds like you're fed up of it...life is too short and whilst you've not lost money, you've not made any either. Hope you get it sorted.
I feel like I'm still hanging on this appointment on Thursday and whether or not she wants it.

I'm thinking to send a text saying 'Hi, I've now cancelled the slot on Thursday, any future appointments will need a deposit, thanks. Emily'

I know it's blunt but I can't be bothered with it anymore. Thing is, when she first booked in I was happy for her to book last minute as I wasn't as busy, now i'm busier it's like she's got a grudge against me and trying to make things awkward, like a spoilt child really.. thankfully I don't need these people anymore, I have proper loyal customers! :rolleyes::)

she's clearly not going to bother paying a deposit so i wouldn't go through any hassle for her like for eg. card machines or giving bank sort codes out etc i'd just give her my paypal address and leave it at that. although it's not costing you money, it's clearly bothering you that much that you felt the need to post about it so it is having an effect on you to some degree. being on your own and working for yourself is hard and stressful enough you don't need to make your job even harder.

edited to add because i just seen your new post... say to new clients something along the lines of 'if the time i suggested isn't suitable that isn't a problem, just let me know when is good for you. the time i have offered you will be available until *insert however many hours after here*, if i do not receive confirmation that you want that time and date within *time here* i will be offering the appointment to other clients. as you can appreciate i do get booked up quickly and often have a waiting list of clients who would like an appointment with me. thank you in advance and i look forward to hearing back from you'.

you don't have to be rude to the client or overly blunt, you can soften it a little bit... even if you have to do it through gritted teeth :) it's annoying i understand that but it's still not good to be a bitch about things and have them tell/show others that you're a bit short kwim? :p her friends aka maybe your potential clients wont see it from yourside they'll see it from herside that you were rude kwim?x

Last edited:
she's clearly not going to bother paying a deposit so i wouldn't go through any hassle for her like for eg. card machines or giving bank sort codes out etc i'd just give her my paypal address and leave it at that. although it's not costing you money, it's clearly bothering you that much that you felt the need to post about it so it's having an effect on you to some degree. being on your own and working for yourself is hard and stressful enough you don't need to make your job even harder. x
It's bothering me in the sense of 'here we go again' kinda way.. just really can't do with time wasters, on any level. :o

Paypal?
I wouldn't bother though, as everyone said, what are the chances she would bother?
Don't worry about being unproffessional it's your business!!
I would be sooo blunt I don't think i would be able to help myself!! xx

I had a client like this one and so changed my cancellation policy to 12 hours.

She didnt let me know in time of yet another cancelled appointment, (even though i told her the cancellation times had changed) so when I had to ask her for the fee for the missed appointment , I never saw her again.

tigi

Latest posts

Back