What's needed to become a trainer ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulaJay

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Can anyone tell me what is the qualification you need to become a trainer and how do you go about it. Also if anyone knows anywhere in Scotland that does this? I already have an HND in Beauty Therapy and own my own salon but would like to get into teaching in some way.

In which discipline are you thinking of training in?

I would also like to know this. I am starting my masters with ezflow and also doing my 7303. I would like to offer training in nail extensions, spray tanning waxing and eye treatments. How do i do this?

You need at least to start with getting a City & Guilds 7303/4 course which is a year long and then onto the the 7305 (?) Diploma which is 2 years - but you have to be teaching something while you are doing the course! I was fortunate enough to have taught in a college in adult education on a part-time basis just on introductions to beauty whilst doing the course.

You could start up your own lessons maybe at a public adult centre on anything to people, so long as a tutor is able to see you working with people outside the Teaching course. Once you have the qualification then you can teach what you like as the actual course is not trade specific.

Sorry hope that has made sense, I know that there are a few people on here that are doing the course already so may help further.

Is it worth contacting your local education provider?

thanks for your reply, i have spoke to them as i'm doing the 7303 but they dont seem to have the answers about the industry but teaching in general. I want to offer private tuition if that is what you call it in my own premises. do i write the courses and get them accredited if so how do i do this

Hi - well I am not sure on this but if you speak the The Guild or BABTAC maybe they can put you on the right road to how you get your courses accredited, I would imagine much like your lesson planning that you are doing you need to have a set learning programme depending on if it is a day course, 6 week and so on and what your criteria is for the students to pass.

I have to be honest I am not totally sure so probably best to speak to the experts.............good luck with it, is a great thing to do. Hope the course is going well! By the way a lovely website you have too!

:)

Last edited:
Basically, yes! If you want to write your own courses then you don't technically need any qualifications or anything to do this. However to get them accredited (and therefore insurable and of value) you would need to have qualifications in the subjects you want to teach and also a teaching qualification of which 7303 is the absolute minimum usually. Sometimes a set amount of teaching or industry experience is also requested.

There are several geeks who write and teach their own courses, although short courses are the subject of much debate on here. Private training courses are generally fast-track courses for a variety of reasons; although they could be of any length really.

Sorry - I think I was typing at the same time as the above poster lol.

Yes The Guild and BABTAC will give you guidelines and the relevant forms needed.

thank you so much have emailed the guild will email babtac also

thank you for the lovely comment about my website:green:

Hiya,

I'm a training manager for a french skincare company, im in the processes of opening my own salon and im considering a training room above it.

I've done my PTLLS course for my job (Preparing to teach in life long learning sector) you can do it through your local college as a part time evening course or the guild run them as well (slightly more expensive) you can also pay extra with the guild one to be 'accredited' once you have completed it which means you can run your own courses and offer a guild accredited qualification. (recognised certificate) im not sure on the exact costs but you have to renew it yearly and have to have the relevant insurance.

The old city and guilds qualifications or 'Cert Ed' have now changed over to DTLLS which is the next teaching qualification up and you would need this one if you wanted to teach within in a college or school. that one is a 2 year course and would need to be done at a college.

I think i made sense...lol
:confused:

Danielle

Latest posts

Back