What's the difference?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

florence2004

Reaction score
Hi geeks
it's been a while since I did my nail training and there seems to be a few things that have change. I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the difference is between 99% isopropyl alcohol, pure acetone and nail polish remover?

Hi geeks
it's been a while since I did my nail training and there seems to be a few things that have change. I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the difference is between 99% isopropyl alcohol, pure acetone and nail polish remover?

Hi! Isopropyl alcohol is used to remove the inhibition layer of gel, gel polish or shellac

Pure acetone is used to soak off l+p, gel polish/ shellac and some hard gels (most have to be buffed off but afew can be soaked off)

Nail polish remover is a solvent that may or may not contain acetone, used to remove normal nail polish

Hth xx

Sent from my ST25i using SalonGeek

Hi! Isopropyl alcohol is used to remove the inhibition layer of gel, gel polish or shellac

Pure acetone is used to soak off l+p, gel polish/ shellac and some hard gels (most have to be buffed off but afew can be soaked off)

Nail polish remover is a solvent that may or may not contain acetone, used to remove normal nail polish

Hth xx

Sent from my ST25i using SalonGeek

Thanks, yes this does help. I noticed that CND in their training videos are now saying to use IPA to remove the sticky layer on the shellac, whereas they always used to talk about using scrub fresh. Does non-acetone remover do the same thing as IPA or are they completely different?

scrubfresh to remove sticky layer on brisa

IPA to remove sticky on shellac

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Thanks, yes this does help. I noticed that CND in their training videos are now saying to use IPA to remove the sticky layer on the shellac, whereas they always used to talk about using scrub fresh. Does non-acetone remover do the same thing as IPA or are they completely different?
You use IPA because the acetone in the scrubfresh will degrade the shellac causing breakdown of the product.

All good answers particularly from xxx saraj25xxx ... Good job.

Just to add a touch more info to her post ... Don't be fooled into thinking that the MEK in non-acetone polish removers is less potent or 'kinder' than a polish remover that contains Acetone. Methyl Ethyl Keytone is a powerful solvent in itself and it is really a myth that Acetone remover should not be used by clients to remove polish from their enhancements. They shouldn't soak their nails in it, but then neither should they soak their nails in MEK remover either.

Acetone works to remove polish faster and with less mess, and for that reason I have always used it in the salon to remove polish from enhancements. Just FYI :lol:

Melissa82 also makes the good point that one would never use ScrubFresh to remove the inhibition layer from freshly cured Shellac ... Shellac is porous and ScrubFresh contains Acetone ... We remove Shellac with Acetone so it would not be smart to use ScrubFresh for that purpose.

ScrubFresh does not have any effect on Brisa Hard gel because it is a buff off gel and Acetone will not deteriorate it, so you can use it to remove the inhibition layer of Brisa.

Last edited:
Perfect, thank you all, that was exactly the information I was looking for!

Latest posts

Back