What's the trick to using hard wax?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should have done this thread a year ago I was exactly where he thread starter was a year ago. I gave up :( I bought euro blond and never managed to get the hang of it. I know it hurts less than strip but the flicking is horrible! My clients agree too. I hardly do any Hollywood waxes now.
Baggybear I don't understand lol

Ok It is hard to explain but I will try.

If you apply a strip of hot wax with the edge in a hair free place and then wait for it to set the top goes a bit shiney, you flick and remove the stip.

Apply another strip but the end is not in a hair free place, press the shiney side (from your first removed strip) onto the end of the strip that needs a tab (so the hair side is up and the clean shiney side of wax presses into the part set wax of the strip you just applied) allow the strip to set and then use the first strip you pressed into the setting strip as your tab (so instead of needing to flick and then pull you can just pull as the tab is your grip).

Not sure that makes any more sense than my first attempt at explaining.

I have seen the tecnique on a you tube video but I think it might have been one that was showing intimate waxing and has now been removed.

Here is a link showing what I mean about having a tab so you don't need to flick but she is using bought bits of plastic. You can just use a small amount of a removed strip to do the same thing as I described above:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5XUYHRZm3Y

Last edited:
Apply a bit of wax to the back of your hand ... 2 or 3 cm in length. Apply a strip to the client you want to remove.

Now remove strip from your hand, the shiny side is the one that wasn't on the skin ... Applying this side of the wax to the end of the strip you want to remove at the start overlap the shiny side down about half the length of the small strip. You now have a small handle with which to start your pull once you have braced the skin.

Be warned that not all of the new style got waxes are as good as doing this as others. Try it and see how it works.

Apply a bit of wax to the back of your hand ... 2 or 3 cm in length. Apply a strip to the client you want to remove.

Now remove strip from your hand, the shiny side is the one that wasn't on the skin ... Applying this side of the wax to the end of the strip you want to remove at the start overlap the shiny side down about half the length of the small strip. You now have a small handle with which to start your pull once you have braced the skin.

Be warned that not all of the new style got waxes are as good as doing this as others. Try it and see how it works.

I would think that a few clients would be a bit grossed out by that, I know I would.
It's just as easy to do your first strip so that it doesn't end in any hair.
I do this and today I placed the end of one strip in another and when I pulled it off, the other strip went flying across the room and landed in my facial bowl! Couldn't do that again if I tried!

That's very unhygienic and surely not allowed under HABIA's code of conduct. Also, not very good for your own skin.

You should learn not to flick (my pet hate). If you make the wax slightly thicker and grab it with your thumb and finger, it will release easily.

thanks for all your help there everyone.

Can i jst ask about the pre & after oils, how am i to use them?

Just apply a very little oil on the skin just after cleansing, you just want the tiniest amount, then wax as normal . After the waxing I apply a little more oil on the skin and then take a clean wax strip to remove any residual wax the excess oils and then finish with your normal post waxing products.

Jack

I thought about maybe using a piece of muslin on top of the hard wax instead of the plastic tabs, has anyone tried that with the muslin on top of the wax? Or laying a small piece on the skin then applying wax, I'm sure I'll figure this out. I am really afraid to use hard wax on new clients. I am very comfy using the strip wax but really want to ease on the pain level using the hard. Does anyone have a video? I did purchase the berodins blue as I cannot get the euroblonde anywhere in Canada, so far I think I like it better than the essentials rose although the rose one does set up faster but the berodins has more elasticity in it.

Thanks so much for all your help!!

Latest posts

Back