When boys were boys and gals were... erm... gals

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collin

the original not the fake
Premium Geek
Reaction score
A few Sundays ago it was a miserable day so feet up in front of the fire and watched an old late 50's film (OMG the acting was atrocious back then LOL)

As I was watching it suddenly hit me how fashions return over time.

Were not talking dress code here but as a side issue it was the days when men dressed as men and gals dressed as gal's ...usually involving a Playtex bra to make a point (or two):eek: and that there weren't the diverse range of sects that there are today (moshers,mods,chav's etc etc)

One thing that I really did notice however was the make up and how that style is back in today....

Much less all over make up but more focused to certain areas to accentuate specifics with heavier make up particularly around the eyes...and yes I mean long lashes and lots mascara......looking at the ladies in the 50's movie and ignoring the clothing and hair style...it was exactly the same as we are seeing today.

I do have to complement the look ladies are putting over ...looks absolutely stunning...from a males perspective :hug:

Just to add a question....do you think that fashion follows a certain repetitive style...even be it some years later and do you like today's look?

i think its like a revolving door , it all comes bk in eventually , lol i used to laff at my sisters pics of her in flares and platforms .........then when i was about 16 they came bk in ... ooh yess i had them ,
neon in the 80s ... thats bk too ,
i now just live in hoodies and jeans its soo much easier , lmao

All i know is every generation thinks they invented sex:eek:....but then i would bring that into the equation:lol:....just ask Mercedes,LOL

I think you have made some valid points.

And now that i am 40....i love saying i am 40:eek:....i think i am getting old....i like women to look like women,and i like men to look like men,but then i quite like the androgenous look aswell,so a bit of a contradiction there!!

I saw an elderly woman today with hair in a chignon,beautiful skin,and nails,and a well made up look that looked "underdone"....she had it "going on" IMO.

I think Madonna tried to re invent the look of pointed bras in the 90s....but for different reasons....and even i tried it myself,but not through trying,i remember recovering from breast augmentation,and feeling like that myself:eek:

Yet today there are so many fashion types....i get fed up of people though saying the 80s are coming back,which has been said for far too long!

Back in the 70's in Kent, you were either a punk or a rocker and rocker included the whole teddy boy/ girl look, the music the whole thing.
I had my circle skirts, seamed stockings and stiletto shoes. The lip stick was red or baby pink and eyeliner was black. I loved it.
I still wear my stiletto shoes those drain pipe jeans are now called skinneys.
Yes I have a pair :lol:
And yes I still love my red lip stick.
But I wear my hair short, no pony tails for me and while I love to listen to bobby vee and Elvis I also love a lot of today's music and love the freedom of today's fashion that lets us express ourselves rather then forcing everyone to wear the same look regardless of their shape or size.

I must admit i absolutely adore the films of Doris Day.......I know those days had their disadvantages but the dresses, the suits....the behaviour and manners...the way people dealt with each other,,....I think was fantastic.............a bit like collin said...it was women being women and men being men.............and treating each other like that!!!

Well I do agree to a certain extent I do love the classic tailored look from. The 50s sense of dress and occassion is divine ! But the culture and lifes ethos were so different! I am lucky to have a diverse world at my fingertips and there is a world where the men certainly out dress the girls and where the girls out man the men ! Now there will always be the usual stereotypes in either party but I have seen some very beautiful men in full regalia that just leave you breathless as they strut past in their 6 inch thigh high boots and some women who are cropped,carless t shirt and jeans that are just beautiful ! I like my world lol !

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back