When can you say "I'm a nail technician"....??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get really shy about this...and I do have a problem with saying I am a nail technician.... I tend to say I 'do nails' which sounds pants....

But nail technician sounds grown up and professional....and I don't feel either of them yet...:lol:

my confidence allows me to call myself one now.. but this time last year NO WAY!! its about quality imo not quantity!! confidence in your work and your education for me! someone once said 100 sets and your a pro.. i beg to differ.. 100 sets done badly is still a 100 sets done badly ifykwim??

I just say Im a therapist. In my salon I do manicure, pedicure, gels, nail art, paraffin wax, aromatherapy, sports massage, massage, counselling, hypnotherapy, stress consultant, spray tanning and now doing my teacher training so I can teach the above in my local college (and in my academy coming soon) I find it hard to give myself a title when people ask me what i do for a living.:confused:

Hey Hiba.. u've got me thinking... umm well i guess it depends on how good you are in doing nails.. but i certificit wouldn't harm too! :D

my confidence allows me to call myself one now.. but this time last year NO WAY!! its about quality imo not quantity!! confidence in your work and your education for me! someone once said 100 sets and your a pro.. i beg to differ.. 100 sets done badly is still a 100 sets done badly ifykwim??

AMEN to that hehe :lol:

u def will be if u got the knowledge its only the practising and getting the experience....I'm doing nvq 3 at ncn college hucknall....

Hi hiba
I am from Nottingham but I now live in Australia, which college do you go to?
I recieved my certificate a year ago but due to moving I have not had chance to practice as much as I would have liked and have therefore lost alot of confidence. I agree with one of the other posters that you can be qualified but not good and thats me at the moment, although I am qualified I am in no way confident enough to do enhancements on the paying public but one day I will be.

not to piss anyone off BUT, u must be in uk for 3 days and be certified!! here (usa) no state will allow less than 350 hours (2months) of training...in fact my course is 600 hours (a little more than 4 months). however, we are taught more than others states..like 50 hours on drill use, and 50 hours on airbrushing basics.

as far as nail tech title goes...i don't know, maybe when i have the license from the state or the certification of course completion...i dont know.

Latest posts

Back