When do you decide to replace your staff?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a frustrating situation. I now fear this happening to me at some point...I guess having a bad staff experience is only inevitable. Its good you are trying to call her...and totally unacceptable that she is texting you now to say she can't come tomorrow. Does she have no respect for the clients that are booked in? I hope this has made you defo sure that you are doing the right thing. Good luck in it all :) you don't need this stress right now!!! xxx

What a frustrating situation. I now fear this happening to me at some point...I guess having a bad staff experience is only inevitable. Its good you are trying to call her...and totally unacceptable that she is texting you now to say she can't come tomorrow. Does she have no respect for the clients that are booked in? I hope this has made you defo sure that you are doing the right thing. Good luck in it all :) you don't need this stress right now!!! xxx

yes i know ive done the right thing..
i still feel abit guilty though...

ive learned alot so im glad in a way...
i think problems are bound to happen as a employer.. its just so fustrating.....

still im hoping there is better to come

Don't feel guilty!! there are so many good stylists out there who want a job and love their job...she does not sound like she is like this. She will probably be glad that she won't need to get up too early on a saturday from now on. keep your head up and dont say anything bad about her to the clients, just found out that is what my old boss is doing about me (completely unfounded i may add) and i have clients who were always loyal to her coming to my salon because they are fed up with hearing her moan that she has to work more hours and how bad i was to leave the salon. I guess some clients may be glad to see this girl go as well though!!

ergh now ive had text saying she needs a copy of her last 3 months payslips.. my payroll charge me for copies so i said id send her the last 2 ones as there weekly and she'd get her p45 or it p60 ( sorry i cant remember which one i which)..

hubby said he just pay for it if she wants them again.... ffs :mad:

i know shes asking to wind me up.. the last 3 months give me a break..

tell her you will have to charge her for this, as it costs you. Its not your fault/problem if she has lost her past 3 payslips.

Oh last 3 months, not 3 payslips!! Definitely charge her for this!!! If you have already given her this then you are not obligated to give her free copies of them!!

Last edited:
Don't feel guilty!! there are so many good stylists out there who want a job and love their job...she does not sound like she is like this. She will probably be glad that she won't need to get up too early on a saturday from now on. keep your head up and dont say anything bad about her to the clients, just found out that is what my old boss is doing about me (completely unfounded i may add) and i have clients who were always loyal to her coming to my salon because they are fed up with hearing her moan that she has to work more hours and how bad i was to leave the salon. I guess some clients may be glad to see this girl go as well though!!

yes i suspect their are hidden somewhere out there lol..

i got someone who im thinking of giving a try..
but im so wary now..

how is your salon going?
one thing i hate is people bad mouthing i never do it so no-one can say 'leonni said this..'. i wait until i get home and let it out to my hubby...

Sweetie, you are a salon owner!! of course your staff (sacked) will bad mouth you!
Dont worry about it, you have to always put the best interests of your salon first. x

Yeah I just say that me and my prevoius boss don't talk any more and its a real shame and leave it at that. So far my salon is going well, 6 weeks in now and we seem to be keeping busy, hair side of things is doing well, beauty is taking a while and I'm still at the stage where she's not making enough in the salon to pay for herself but is getting busier every week so fingers crossed with xmas coming up and some special offers on we will get there. Got a great girl on placement from the local college so long term I will employ her when she qualifies...but staffing is so scary. Had a bit of a panic today cos the therapist isn't making much money but then she had a couple of walk ins which settled me...just worry I do things wrong with regards to staff!! lol. Guess practise makes perfect. Sounds like you've got it sussed though, and must have a good team to be able to leave when you are on mat leave xxx

Sweetie, you are a salon owner!! of course your staff (sacked) will bad mouth you!
Dont worry about it, you have to always put the best interests of your salon first. x

yep i know she will.. im defientely expecting it..

i actually feel relieved now ..

Yeah, chin up hun, she sounds like a real let down and it's not only affecting you, it's affecting your reputation as a reliable salon. I think you did the right thing, especially as this is the second week in a row that she has let you down!

I don't think she has any right to be shocked at a letter from you judging by the way she has treated you and your salon. I think there is absolutely no respect for you, texting you instead of calling shows this (amongst other things) and I think you have acted justly.

Fair play to you, I hope you find someone more reliable and soon. :hug:

There was a good post on here the other day on one way to get good reliable staff. You probably have something like this in place, but still a good read. :)

Yeah I just say that me and my prevoius boss don't talk any more and its a real shame and leave it at that. So far my salon is going well, 6 weeks in now and we seem to be keeping busy, hair side of things is doing well, beauty is taking a while and I'm still at the stage where she's not making enough in the salon to pay for herself but is getting busier every week so fingers crossed with xmas coming up and some special offers on we will get there. Got a great girl on placement from the local college so long term I will employ her when she qualifies...but staffing is so scary. Had a bit of a panic today cos the therapist isn't making much money but then she had a couple of walk ins which settled me...just worry I do things wrong with regards to staff!! lol. Guess practise makes perfect. Sounds like you've got it sussed though, and must have a good team to be able to leave when you are on mat leave xxx

nope still learning... my staff probs happened at the worst time.. i had them right in the beginning too..

so i wont really have a proper mat leave i think
my new girl is starting in 2 weeks and i have abit of cover for some days. but i was planning on taking a break now.. but now i cant since she has decided to get a personality transplant at the end of my pregnancy..:rolleyes:

so ive got another 2 weeks in the salon....

by the way its the same with us one week the hair side is busier the next its the beauty......

but overally my har side is busier..

Actually Fi you have a very valid point there hun. Thanks for raising it, I had thought that initially in this thread, then forgot last night as I was so tired!

Yes, of course there are two sides to every story, but this girl perhaps also has a duty to Leonni too by maybe taking her aside and having a quiet word to let her know what is going on and that she may not be on top form, not just texting to say she can't come in.

Sorry....... but, has no one taken into account what is going on the girl's life? I know she has let you down greatly but my bet is she had no clue as to how much. We all have things going on in our lifes and sometimes they can out weigh the reality of life.

Being an employer is a very hard task and by rights to be fair you should have been up to speed as to how to deal with her from the outset. You should have known that on a probationary period and in fact up to one year you can dismiss without any given reason, they cannot take you to a tribunal. That is something you perhaps as an employer have to address. It is a fundamental part of business that you know the ins and outs of employment, it saves a lot of grief like what you have encountered.

Please please don't think I am picking here, because I am not, I think you have learned a very valuable lesson here and I feel sorry that you had to go through what you did. :hug:

However, there is another side to being an employer too and that is empathy, did you ever sit her down and ask her what was going on? Sometimes a simple conversation can help all round and clarify things.

I only say say this because about 8 years ago my husband had a breakdown through his work and no-one ever asked him what was wrong, he felt like a failure and left. There is always a flip side to a coin, but some never choose to look.

This is all meant with the best intention. :hug:

I have spoken to her twice now... so its not just a case of her being told to go..

sometimes a conversation can clarify things but not all the time.. and in this case it hasnt and been like this for 2 weeks before i first spoke to her..

as said she wasnt like this before so i did try to give her a chances mainly down to my hubby (he's a softie)..

just to clairfy i didnt think she would be able to take me to a tribunal at all.. someone else mentioned it on here that she could..

Originally Posted by duffield1
I sympathise hugely - our business has had experience of someone who simply failed to turn up for work one day and we never heard anything from her after that. It leaves a sour taste in everyone's mouth.

However, you need to do things properly - if you have a problem with her, you have to meet with her, discuss the problem and then set in place a way to try and resolve the problem. If she's not quick enough, why? Does she need training? Does she talk too much? You have to offer her support.

If she still doesn't comply, then give her a written warning, and if things don't improve, then you might be able to sack her, but sadly, the days of saying "Get your coat and don't come back!" are over - there are too many solicitors offering "no win, no fee" services for unfair dismissal which cost you dearly, even if the employee is a complete waste of space!

Half the issue with recruitment is that it is so difficult knowing what to ask. We spent a lot of time creating some standard job application forms a while ago, as well as interview scoring sheets, etc. to make the recruitment process easier (available from salon-docs.com The ultimate resource for essential documents for salons and spas), as well as formal meeting reports so that you can keep good records of meetings - formal or informal - in case a dodgy employee ever does try to fleece you after you've sacked them!

Last edited:
Actually Fi you have a very valid point there hun. Thanks for raising it, I had thought that initially in this thread, then forgot last night as I was so tired!

Yes, of course there are two sides to every story, but this girl perhaps also has a duty to Leonni too by maybe taking her aside and having a quiet word to let her know what is going on and that she may not be on top form, not just texting to say she can't come in.

we have spoken about it and hubby spoke to her also..

to be fair as said she was great and good at what she was doing.. i think thats why i didnt want to her to go...

during our talks she just said her mind was elsewhere etc...
know there is more going on but i cant force her to tell me really..

as said she split up from her boyfriend and started from there... i do symphatize but to be blunt.. my salon still has to run... even when im totolly knackered i still have to go work and function not take it out on my clients...

the leaving teh colour in te clients hair and not rinsing it out properly made up mind i had to replace her

i did put in the letter to contact me if her circumstances change though..

Last edited:
Hi Leonnib,

I'm behind you 100%. I think you've done, exactly, what you had to do.

My only concern is that hiring and firing should be a private affair. Please remember this is a public forum that everybody can see and your ex employee might be a little miffed if she found it one day:eek:. So, in fairness to her, I think it might be worth asking a moderator if they can delete this thread:)

Goodness me, you are all so NICE on here!!!
Think I'm the only hard nosed nasty b****r on here.
I booted out a young stylist this morning. been with me 3 weeks, on trial, and he rolled in late, again, with no apologie. I had done his first client already so told him not to bother.
Hey ho, a hard lesson learnt for him.

Hi Leonnib,

I'm behind you 100%. I think you've done, exactly, what you had to do.

My only concern is that hiring and firing should be a private affair. Please remember this is a public forum that everybody can see and your ex employee might be a little miffed if she found it one day:eek:. So, in fairness to her, I think it might be worth asking a moderator if they can delete this thread:)

thats why i mentioned no names..
and there are a few employer - staff and even staff - employer theads on here...

but yes i do think everything worked out for the best.. :)

Goodness me, you are all so NICE on here!!!
Think I'm the only hard nosed nasty b****r on here.
I booted out a young stylist this morning. been with me 3 weeks, on trial, and he rolled in late, again, with no apologie. I had done his first client already so told him not to bother.
Hey ho, a hard lesson learnt for him.

:eek:.. youve been in the industry as an employer a while... so id guess you become abit of hard nut..lol..

my aunt hated firing people when she had her business but by the end she just got used to it..

when i was 17 i got told not to come back 2moro.... i still remember i was mortified but i knew it was my fault really lol....

how are you getting on with this girl, have you heard any more?? xx

no... i havent actually.

i got someone starting next week but it is hard taking on someone new when you have a bad experience of previous staff..

you become very wary.. but i like to give people a fair chance.. :)

she could be just what i need... yey!

Latest posts

Back