When do you decide to replace your staff?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi well im doing the deed on saturday.

i actually dont want to have her in at all..
but im guessing i cant do it by phone..

i cant actually stand her anymore.. ( i know thats bad)

she is so unreliable now cancelling at the last minute....so slow... unorganized... messy
she didnt check diary to see what client was having and almost bleached her hair instead of dying it brown...
i feel like im getting somewhere now with my salon and i just need the right team behind me...
evry saturday comes in she either hasnt slept or got drunk last night..
she has totally changed (since her partner left) while im understanding it was only a 2 month relationship and i can only be so understanding..

erghh.. i expected more from someone who is / should be a mature lady.. anyway ive had a few trial days over the last 2 weeks wit some people and have a few people lined up this week...
so im basically ready to replace her.. my junior is doing great and i was very wary of her (from experience of the younger stylist when i first started)..

do i need to give her notice i just want her out..?

Last edited:
I think you can tell her you don't want her to work her notice but think you'd still have to pay her.
Posted via Mobile Device

she is still on probation..

so i wasnt sure if she gets paid notice of the month?

either way i dont want her working her notice

I'm not sure. Best wait for someone more knowledgeable than me.
Posted via Mobile Device

lol... im sure your knowledgable tweezer...

from what i read i dont think i do..

omg and how do i tell her never fired someone :eek:

Hiya. If you sack her for a gross misconduct you don't have to pay or give notice. If you decide she is not for your salon you must give her a weeks money in lieu of notice and any holiday pay she has accrued. Hope that clarifies things for you. Good luck x

Hiya. If you sack her for a gross misconduct you don't have to pay or give notice. If you decide she is not for your salon you must give her a weeks money in lieu of notice and any holiday pay she has accrued. Hope that clarifies things for you. Good luck x

Yes it's usually a weeks pay in lieu of notice unless she's monthly paid & says in her contract she or you have to give a months notice. In that case you would need to pay a months pay in lieu of notice.

Good luck with it all. You'll be glad it's over once you've done the deed.

Yes it's usually a weeks pay in lieu of notice unless she's monthly paid & says in her contract she or you have to give a months notice. In that case you would need to pay a months pay in lieu of notice.

Good luck with it all. You'll be glad it's over once you've done the deed.

Do you have to do this even if she's still on probation?

Do you have to do this even if she's still on probation?

Depends on the terms of an individual contract but if no written particulars have been given the statutory minimum is 1 week. It's my understanding that even if they don't work out after their probationary period you are still in effect sacking them. Which would imply a weeks pay in lieu of notice, plus accrued holiday which starts from the 1st date of employment.

I hasten to add though that I am not a legal expert & it's always best to get advice from ACAS or similar on these matters.

thanks all.. not sure if i can put this under gross misconduct..

but here are my points:

1.she is not giving me notice she isnt coming in twice she has done it:

and ive had to cancel clients etc...

2. almost bleached clients hair even though id told her serval times what she was having done and is in diary.

3. ive now had 3 complaints from clients about her attitude/behavior..

4. despite being told health and safety rules:
1. is not sweeping up after clients and instead putting next clients in the chair with hair around it ( and ive told her a few times someone could slip)..
2. leaves scissors etc on reception desk she seems to not be able to keep her equipment on her trolley when doing hair and everything ends up on the reception desk where clients go( and i have to keep moving them)...

smoking inside the salon at the door ( i was not there but i was told today)

5. not washing hair dye out clients hair properly because she was in a rush to go home...

Hi Leonni,

i would'nt know about legalities regarding sacking this girl.

but just wanted to say my heart goes out to you, she sounds like a nut job. Smoking inside at the door, surely that would be enough grounds to get rid. As it's illegal but maybe you need a witness to stand up and say it. Almost bleaching hair? you will end up being sued by a client. She is a complete liability!

Good Luck
Pam xx

i have no idea whats happened to her like she has lost all the care in the world anywhoo...

i feel like she is ruining the salons reputation ( we are getting known for our 'friendly atmosphere' and now she is damaging it and we have had compliants. ( luckily i was able to rectify it slightly as i did the hair after her and basically made up for behaviour by being extra nice)
i cant leave her alone as im scared what will happen health and safety wise and client wise...

il have a peek around the net and check what comes under misconduct if i cant do it under that il just give her a month notice... erghhhh...

Def get rid! Sounds a flaming nightmare. She's not the type that will change her ways and it'll drag you and you business down, huni. As someone already metioned, phone ACAS, find out your rights.

I see you due in Nov and this is probably a big hassle you could do without. I've have to sack two people in my 6 years of trading and was the best thing I done. You can and will replace this girl with someone much, much better.:)

ok, smoking inside is a gross misconduct, as is not removing tint properly (Health and safety) Put all this in writing to her as the reason you will not be employing her further. Give her 1 weeks pay in lieu of notice.

ok, smoking inside is a gross misconduct, as is not removing tint properly (Health and safety) Put all this in writing to her as the reason you will not be employing her further. Give her 1 weeks pay in lieu of notice.

We were told that no-body could smoke at all in their uniform whether they are in the vicinity or not. Also turning up to work after a night on the lash is a big no-no. My last boss told us all that if she could ever smell booze on us we would be sent home immediately!
Bearing in mind what other geeks have said and i know hindsight is always a great thing, but maybe you could add a few of your own clauses to the contracts, that way everyone knows where they stand, and if they breach the rules they get a warning or whatever...xXx

she knows the no smoking policy..
i cant smell booze on her but she is the one that says it.. and uses her night out before for her slowness etc..

last week she even rang to see what time she was due to start work and starts the same time every saturday.. :confused: ???

il give her a weeks notice.. i wont ask her to work it and just pay her and her holidays...

i will put it in writing also today.. thanks

imo.. there is someting else going on behind the scenes but no idea what but ive gone to my limit as her employer... its a shame as she was really good before..

I sympathise hugely - our business has had experience of someone who simply failed to turn up for work one day and we never heard anything from her after that. It leaves a sour taste in everyone's mouth.

However, you need to do things properly - if you have a problem with her, you have to meet with her, discuss the problem and then set in place a way to try and resolve the problem. If she's not quick enough, why? Does she need training? Does she talk too much? You have to offer her support.

If she still doesn't comply, then give her a written warning, and if things don't improve, then you might be able to sack her, but sadly, the days of saying "Get your coat and don't come back!" are over - there are too many solicitors offering "no win, no fee" services for unfair dismissal which cost you dearly, even if the employee is a complete waste of space!

Half the issue with recruitment is that it is so difficult knowing what to ask. We spent a lot of time creating some standard job application forms a while ago, as well as interview scoring sheets, etc. to make the recruitment process easier (available from salon-docs.com The ultimate resource for essential documents for salons and spas), as well as formal meeting reports so that you can keep good records of meetings - formal or informal - in case a dodgy employee ever does try to fleece you after you've sacked them!

I sympathise hugely - our business has had experience of someone who simply failed to turn up for work one day and we never heard anything from her after that. It leaves a sour taste in everyone's mouth.

However, you need to do things properly - if you have a problem with her, you have to meet with her, discuss the problem and then set in place a way to try and resolve the problem. If she's not quick enough, why? Does she need training? Does she talk too much? You have to offer her support.

If she still doesn't comply, then give her a written warning, and if things don't improve, then you might be able to sack her, but sadly, the days of saying "Get your coat and don't come back!" are over - there are too many solicitors offering "no win, no fee" services for unfair dismissal which cost you dearly, even if the employee is a complete waste of space!

Half the issue with recruitment is that it is so difficult knowing what to ask. We spent a lot of time creating some standard job application forms a while ago, as well as interview scoring sheets, etc. to make the recruitment process easier (available from salon-docs.com The ultimate resource for essential documents for salons and spas), as well as formal meeting reports so that you can keep good records of meetings - formal or informal - in case a dodgy employee ever does try to fleece you after you've sacked them!

i managed to speak to someone and someone can only claim unfair dismissial after 12 months of working there..
otherwise its only discrimination they can claim for and there is no discriminaion at all..
acas said she could sue if got fired for
1. demanding minimum wage..
2. gender etc..

and if reasons are good enough it can warrant immediate sacking..

its not a case of me not getting along with her..
i have listed quite a few things

Last edited:
I think your on safe ground. She is on her probationary period. The idea that staff have all the rights and the employer has none is a complete fallacy.

well i have written my letter to give her 2moro.. but yet again been given a story why she cant come in 2moro...she only texted me now..

ive now got 3 clients that cant be done im so peeved.. my other one has got a hols booked.

i tried to ring but got no answer... so i emailed... about the notice with letter attached and said id be sending her a letter in the post as she isnt in 2moro again... until next week sat..

she texted back saying she doesnt understand..

i rang but no reply again so it seems she only wants me to text her...:rolleyes: i texted bk saying id be sending it out in post..

not sure what else to say.. as the letter was quite detailed...

i think she is shocked as im very easy going in the salon and i would assume didnt expect it..

i cant win .. you cant be too nice (or people take the mick) or too harsh..( or your a cow)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back