When do you decide to replace your staff?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leonnib

Reaction score
i have a saturday person who when first started had a very impressive work history however since starting 3 months ago. ive seen her main points is cutting and colouring. she said she could do extenstions etc her references checked out. this was ideal for me as it meant i knew she would manage on a saturday if i needed to have a rest e.g like now.

anyway this is not the case and im really close to replacing her to someone who can manage the saturday if im not there (supervise etc).
which was the intial plan when taking her on. i have a junior girl on saturday too who i wouldnt leave to cope alone but she is great.
i need fully competant staff who can manage and my other staff are.

we had a booking for extensions thinking shed be fine she then said if i could stay 'just in case'.

maybe im being to harsh but her cv checks out for 14 years expereince. this is why i went from employing people who were quite new to the industry after initial problems. recently has been having alot of personal prblems and is affecting her work. and is really slow at everything even more then my junior.
imo i feel like things are starting to pick up and i need the correct staff to make it continue... if that makes sense.

what makes you decide that you need to replace your staff..?

Last edited:
If a member of staff can't fulfil their specific job role and it was impinging on my business I wouldn't hesitate. However, I would discuss it first with the stylist to see if any improvements could be made. It might be a matter of confidence for this person because they are in a new salon and not incompetence. If you feel this is not being met right now you can legally extend their trial period beyond the usual 12 weeks.
Hope this works out for you.

what makes you decide that you need to replace your staff..?

My criteria for new staff is fairly simple - do a good job & get as many clients re-booking as possible. I keep a close eye on what the re-book rate is & if it's not good enough (bearing in mind they are newbies) I have words with them to pull their socks up.

If they still don't improve, I have 'a little chat'. I've had many of those over the years, nice girls but they just don't build up their client base, which is no good to me.

It's your business, & hard though it may be sometimes, you need to sit & have a chat with her. Maybe she just needs a confidence boost. Find out what her issues are. Give her chance to pull her socks up, if she doesn't, well, you know the answer to that.

You'll be going on maternity leave before you know it. You need to get your staffing issues sorted asap.

Good luck with it x

I think you know if someone isnt right. I have staff problems too at the moment. Maybe there's something in the water.

my gut feeling for the last few weeks is for her to go..
she brings her personal probs to work and chats away to clients about things that i dont think she should ( if that makes sense) ..ive introduced a no mobile phone policy but her phone is always ringing...

this is how im thinking im going on mat leave soon so if replacing her need to do so..

hubby thinks she may not have been honest on cv even though i checked references but some things dont add up.

someone with 14 years expereince shouldnt neeed to be babied.

anyway i have decided that i will be replacing her.. so next week will be the dreaded chat ive never had as a boss..

dont get me wrong she is good at a lot of things and nice enough girl , ive had no 'incidents or compaints' but she cant do everything she claimed and that i need within the salon which is why i took her on.

people lie on their cv's quite often, and you'rr right, after 14 years they should be ok.
I recently got rid of a hairdresser with 30 years exp. Her colouring was painful to watch, she was slow, and nobody rebooked with her.
I feel as though I have no staff at the moment, but for me, it's better than having rubbish staff and sneaky beggars around.
Sacking someone is a horrid experience all round. nobody enjoys it, but sometimes you have to do it. I always feel sick afterwards.

yes persianista thats another problem she is really slow..
she just takes soo long..with her colour too...

something i noticed within a few weeks but she wasnt overly slow and customer was always happy with it..
so i carried on observing her..
anyway today we had a full head of highlights today and customer was booked in for extensions it took her the same amount of time to do that as it took for me to do her extensions.. and not exaggerating.

we've only been doing half head highlights since opening so this was the first time i saw her do a full head...
i think she may have had a few years expereince but not 14 years i just dont think so...

Full head highlights should take a slow stylist an hour and a quarter. An hour is reasonable and a speedy beggar like me is 45 mins.
Any longer than 1 1/4 hours I would say they are either inexperienced or there is another problem going on that you may be unaware of.

Full head highlights should take a slow stylist an hour and a quarter. An hour is reasonable and a speedy beggar like me is 45 mins.
Any longer than 1 1/4 hours I would say they are either inexperienced or there is another problem going on that you may be unaware of.

i didnt know about how long it normally takes but when doing half head it takes her about 45 mins.. a full head took her about 2 hours to put it on and including waiting for it to take was about 3 hours.

2 hours for application? She is either very newly qualified or else......
Does she visit the loo a lot?

2 hours for application? She is either very newly qualified or else......
Does she visit the loo a lot?

:lol: that made me laugh... visit the loo:lol:

i hadnt noticed...

and now knowing i need to replace her erggh.... its so hard to find decent staff...
when i was staff hunting alot just never turned up for interviews its like no-one wants to work..

staff is turning out to be my biggest problem..

Last edited:
:lol: that made me laugh... visit the loo:lol:

i hadnt noticed...

and now knowing i need to replace her erggh.... its so hard to find decent staff...
when i was staff hunting alot just never turned up for interviews its like no-one wants to work..

staff is turning out to be my biggest problem..

Yep, think a fair few of us on here can relate to that!!

I've been advertising myself recently. Had some phonecalls, they were asked to send in their CV, most didn't :irked:. At the end of the day, you can only employ out of what applies & that's not always very good quality.

I don't envy you your 'little chat', although if it's any consolation, it does get easier. I've only had to properly sack a couple of therapists in 16 years of having staff, they were the fairly easy ones.

The others have been really nice girls, but they just don't come up to scratch & just don't build up their clientelle. Those 'chats' aren't always as easy but I'm always nice about it.....Our industry is very incestuous & so you need to be careful you don't get bad mouthed.

You need to decide which day you're going to do it & get on with it. You'll be glad you got it over & done with. Think of yourself in this - you & baby don't need the added stress!

Good luck x

Yep, think a fair few of us on here can relate to that!!

I've been advertising myself recently. Had some phonecalls, they were asked to send in their CV, most didn't :irked:. At the end of the day, you can only employ out of what applies & that's not always very good quality.

I don't envy you your 'little chat', although if it's any consolation, it does get easier. I've only had to properly sack a couple of therapists in 16 years of having staff, they were the fairly easy ones.

The others have been really nice girls, but they just don't come up to scratch & just don't build up their clientelle. Those 'chats' aren't always as easy but I'm always nice about it.....Our industry is very incestuous & so you need to be careful you don't get bad mouthed.

You need to decide which day you're going to do it & get on with it. You'll be glad you got it over & done with. Think of yourself in this - you & baby don't need the added stress!

Good luck x

yes there is always the worry of getting bad mouthed she is a very local girl in the area. and cant honestly say she wouldnt do it.

I have had one stylist in the past develop a drink problem (swigging in the loo) and another develop a coke problem (coming out of the loo sniffing) both were good hairdressers who went rapidly downhill. Thats why I asked, not cos I wondered about her weak bladder!!!

I have had one stylist in the past develop a drink problem (swigging in the loo) and another develop a coke problem (coming out of the loo sniffing) both were good hairdressers who went rapidly downhill. Thats why I asked, not cos I wondered about her weak bladder!!!

not really the toliet well not that ive noticed. but she always ask to go 'next door quickly'. we have a newsagent next door. and recently she ask about 3 times an hour. or as soon as she can leave a client ( if colour is taking etc). thats something ive noticed alot. i cant understand why or see if she is even going next door.. when she does ask im always with clients and put on the spot.

her general behaviour wasnt like this is the beginning only recent weeks (last 2/3 weeks) since she split up with partner.

not really the toliet well not that ive noticed. but she always ask to go 'next door quickly'. we have a newsagent next door. and recently she ask about 3 times an hour. or as soon as she can leave a client ( if colour is taking etc). thats something ive noticed alot. i cant understand why or see if she is even going next door.. when she does ask im always with clients and put on the spot.

her general behaviour wasnt like this is the beginning only recent weeks (last 2/3 weeks) since she split up with partner.

Maybe she's got herself hooked on scratch cards???

okaaay, so whats going on next door? There is something going on.

If you've introduced a no mobiles policy, is she "going next door" to use her mobile do you think?

more likely they sell whisky miniatures!!!!

well she doesnt turn her phone off depsite numerous request have issued her a warning last week. i introduced it about 3 weeks ago because it was constantly ringing and she would answer it etc. i told them they could use mobiles in case of emergency but was allowed to give the salon number too. but since this break up its all forgotten. so i put this rule in. she uses it anyway so i dont think shes going next door to do it.

we have a cafe right next door and then the newsagents.

i dont know only been the last few weeks. its not just her slowness and what to me is exagerrating (if spelt right) her skills. shes getting so unprofessional recently. last week she even 'forgot' she had to work on saturday even though she only does saturdays.

i had no problems with her before recently. she talks to clients about this 'breakup' . and i or hubby often steps in and change the subject to something more easy going.
hubby spoke to her about it as i (in his words) am too blunt. :rolleyes:

all my staff are new and really trying now and she is the only one been there from opening the salon. now she is the one acting very strange and her work has slowed down recently.

with this new attitude its like she imo she doesnt have much respect for me.

Latest posts

Back