when is lifting acceptable?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laneypants

Reaction score
Hi guys I know there are countless threads on lifting but What I am wondering is whether there is a time scale on when you might expect nails to start lifting? The reason i ask is that generally when my clients have 2 week maintenance there is very little lifting if any but if they ever go to 3 weeks there is usually a lot more. I have seen a few sets of nss nails that havent been touched for 5-6 weeks and dont have even a trace of lifting. I know that there are reasons why the nss nails get no lifting but it makes me wonder if the nails I am producing should be able to go the distance that nss nails do. OOh I hope this makes sense I think I am rambling.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated...

Hate to say this mate but there should be no lifting on nails unless someone has hit it and popped it up. Check your prep and consistancy. Another thing is some products require that the nail is etched more to adhere better, so you may want to check with your supplier. Soz for the un-positive answer:|

laneypants said:
Hi guys I know there are countless threads on lifting but What I am wondering is whether there is a time scale on when you might expect nails to start lifting? The reason i ask is that generally when my clients have 2 week maintenance there is very little lifting if any but if they ever go to 3 weeks there is usually a lot more. I have seen a few sets of nss nails that havent been touched for 5-6 weeks and dont have even a trace of lifting. I know that there are reasons why the nss nails get no lifting but it makes me wonder if the nails I am producing should be able to go the distance that nss nails do. OOh I hope this makes sense I think I am rambling.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated...
You need to pay a lot of attention to PREP, making sure that there is no dead tissue on the nail at all especially around the side walls and cuticle area. The corners near the cuticle are very important to get clear of any debris, as this is often where lifting starts. If you use a cuticle remover liquid make sure that this is thoroughly washed off after doing PREP as any of this left on the nail plate can also cause lifting. After the PREP you need to wipe lightly with a very fine grit file (min 240) from cuticle to free edge making sure that you only wipe once on each part of the nail and then dehydrating the nail by scrubbing with something like scrubfresh for at least 5 secs per nail. If your client has a particularly oily nail plate then you need to dehydrate, then use something like 'nail fresh' (CND) and then dehydrate again (Scrubfresh pushes the oil down in the nail plate for about 20 mins so if you have spent any longer than that doing the application then you need to use scrubfresh again). If your client has any damage to the surface of the nail plate then this can contribute to lifting. Also after 3 weeks the apex has moved to the wrong place and I have found in the past that any pressure on the free edge can mean that the nails will break or maybe start to lift at the cuticle area. HTH

its not un-positive at all! thanks for your response. So in theory do you think that if a set of enhancements were just left to grow completely out with no maintenance at all there should still be no lifting- or would you expect to see lifting on a set that was say 6 weeks old?

I would say that if you have no lifting after 2 weeks then your prep is fine. Some clients can go 3 or 4 weeks with no problems, but the majority, after 3 weeks when the nails are beginning to get out of balance will experience some lifting. If your lifting isn't excessive then I don't think you have a problem.

thanks cathie, it just arouses my curiosity when i see nss nails lasting so long, despite knowing the undesirable methods used to achieve such longevity.

well I had a lady come back after 6 weeks with no lifting whatsoever!! :cool:
They were really long but other than that perfect, I was sooo chuffed with myself! most clients have trouble keeping nails on for 2 weeks but hardly any of them get any lifting...

Aspirations said:
well I had a lady come back after 6 weeks with no lifting whatsoever!! :cool:
They were really long but other than that perfect, I was sooo chuffed with myself! most clients have trouble keeping nails on for 2 weeks but hardly any of them get any lifting...
I have one client who also goes 6 weeks between maintenance appointments EVERY time, as her nails grow very slowly as does her hair!!! Her nails never have any lifting either.

laneypants said:
thanks cathie, it just arouses my curiosity when i see nss nails lasting so long, despite knowing the undesirable methods used to achieve such longevity.

I recently soaked off my set (that had been done way back in August and re-balanced loads of times.... )I didn't have an iota of lifting and it had been 5 weeks... always press and smooth... press the product into a beautifully prepped nail plate gives stronger adhesion. Keep away from the soft tissue (surrounding skin) and go thin in zone 3. All of this advice will help you to have longer lasting enhancements!!;)

nailsbydesign said:
Out of curiosity why did you soak them off????

I shall be honest!! I have had them polished for the last month because no one had time to 'properly' re-balance me. When we went to Costa Rica, I had them 'buffed and tidied' and some of the ones that had really grown a lot, re-balanced with Perfect Pink... the reason being - we didn't have my mixture of my Custom Blended colour so I had custom blends on half my nail re-balanced with PP.... it looked horrendous so I painted them in a vivid rsapberry (new summer colour with no name as yet)... last week I soaked them off (this is sort of a lie and sort of not:o - I soaked some and mechanically removed some also:o like with my teeth (sometimes even I can't help myself:o :o )...now I have a lovely full-set done yesterday!! :lol:

Ohhhhh Mrs Geek,

I love it, even you can not resist a little nibble at the acrylic...
Just like us mortal beings !!!!!

Lesleygrant said:
Ohhhhh Mrs Geek,

I love it, even you can not resist a little nibble at the acrylic...
Just like us mortal beings !!!!!
When I have no nails on, I am a picker not a biter... sometimes I just can't help it... but when they are done I really don't touch them! Isn't it always the case of 'Do as I say, not as I do' :o :o

Ohhhhh yes - this is certainly true..

I advise all my clients to have their acrylics soaked off either by myself or to purchase a small bottle of acetone and soak them off in the comfort of their own home at their leisure...

Do I do the same - ooooooooops NO !!!

When I do my own ( on the odd occassion ) I dont touch mine either, I love em. Unfortunately I feel I can not work with beautiful nails on, as I either file - melt or catch my client with them..

Hey hooooo - never mind, at least my clients love theirs (sweet) ..

I have one client that had no lifting and that is usually not the occasion with her. I think one of the reasons being is that I used a 100/180 gril file to file really flush on sidewalls and cuticles. I used to use the white block before and perhaps it didn't get thin enough? I don't know I am just baffled but happy as I hate to see lifting.

aj

aj1 said:
I have one client that had no lifting and that is usually not the occasion with her. I think one of the reasons being is that I used a 100/180 gril file to file really flush on sidewalls and cuticles. I used to use the white block before and perhaps it didn't get thin enough? I don't know I am just baffled but happy as I hate to see lifting.

aj

I hate to say this hun, but the 100/180 is way too harsh to use on the natural nail. The reason you had no lifting on this client is because you over-etched her nails - short term gain leading to long term pain I'm afraid. The product bonded well, but you will have thinned her nail plate.

You should never use more than a 240 grit on natural nails, your white block is fine.

Do you mean that you used this 100/180 file on the enhancement to shape and file once you had applied the L&P?

or

Did you use the 100/180 on the natural nail :Scared:

I think you mean the 1st one but just thought I would ask?

Caz xxx:biggrin:

aj1 said:

aj

I think she meant on the product... she did say @flush to the natural nail' which denotes buffing the product flush!:!:

Yes I thought I had read it right and she was talking about filing on the product.

Caz xxx:biggrin:

Mrs Geek said:
I think she meant on the product... she did say @flush to the natural nail' which denotes buffing the product flush!:!:

I dont use l&p, so I dont know how relevant this is in terms of how long a product/application should go before lifting.....
I use Forze UV Gels.. and my clients will go easily as long as 6wks without lifting. Granted, most come see me at 3-4wks for a rebalance/refill as their nails are too long... etc...

But, I do have the odd young client that isn't as keen on maintenance as the mature ones.. or just doesn't have the money to be as keen... and several times I have seen nails go as long as 8wks even.. with no lifting :suprised:

So, I guess I'll have to agree on the prep thing being a huge factor. I also do not etch the nails. I only use a white buffer block to remove the shine and that's it. No acid primer neither. Just a bonder.

NOW on the rare occasion, I'll get one finger here and there that will lift.. and I can always pin it down to my gloss running where it shouldn't be and my own fault for not getting it all...and voila... one nail lifts :o

If my prep is good and I"ve made sure that there is no gloss where it shouldn't be (touching cuticle or sides....) then I get no lift on my clients.
Hope this helps

hugs

thanks everyone for your input, i have a feeling my mix ratio is slightly out so im gonna work on that and take extra extra care on my prep. This has been a massive help coz i know now that lifting should never be 'expected' and that its an achievable goal to set myself!!:hug:

Latest posts

Back