when to start treatments on paying public?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mercedes69

Reaction score
in a house, in a wood, a little old man by the win
I have searched but it brings all manner of things up....
so out of my own curiosity....when is it safe to have 'real' clients that you can perform full set enhancements on?

I don't mean qualified...because that is an ongoing process...but at what stage should I advertise I can do L&P enhancements and charge full price for them?

When can I turn this into a business?

I was just wondering... as my hubby was asking when I would get some return for my little spending spree's :lol: He sees me using all my products you see... and is wondering if he lashed out on an expensive hobby LOL

I have to complete day 5 of my foundation course in a couple of weeks. I was wondering how soon from that point can you set yourself free! ( people are beginning to ask me now... and I am a bit like erm...!!??? )

Thanks for any advice or help...xxxxxxxx

Hi there,

I assume when you qualify you will have a certificate which is recognised by an insurance company? Until then, you run a risk performing on paying clients. Hth's :hug:

When I started in nails I worked in a nail bar. Their pricing structure was as follows ...

Model sets £10
Rookie tech £25 (this was when you could do a set in 2 hours)
Tech £40 ( this was when you could do a set in 90 minutes, rebalance in an hour)
Senior tech £44(full set in about 75 mins and competent in 2 systems)
Master tefch £48 (fully competent in all 3 systems)

So you should already be charging!!! My local college in Fareham used to charge 50% of a typical salon price for all their beauty treatments.

Hi there,

I assume when you qualify you will have a certificate which is recognised by an insurance company? Until then, you run a risk performing on paying clients. Hth's :hug:

I believe that insurance companies do offer some kind of cover for whilst you are training.

Lol we are in Spain and don't have the litigious culture that has spawned in the UK in the past few years ... No dodgy where there's blame there's a claim ads THANK GOD!!!! In fact trying to get treatment liability cover here isn't easy as I am finding! If anyone knows where then let me know as I desperately need it for doing permanent makeup.

Hi there,

professional beauty allow you to have protection by them when training.

we had by our 4th day foundation to have insurance sorted if not it was sent of there and then so they knew we had cover.

mercedes69 i'm having the same trouble as you know.

what on earth do i charge ???

sassy please hurry up with your "sassy's guide to starting prices" lol :lol:

:hug:

When i started in the beauty room, I researched what prices the local salons were charging for treatments and set my prices within this margin. And as a new business i used my price list as a marketing tool also, stating that they were introductory prices which were on offer for the first few months of salon opening.

If you have the confidence and skill to provide your services to the general public, then you need to start earning a living from it too.

At the end of the day you are in business and if your business is to be sucessfull you need to start charging for the services (even your friends) and start earning a profit.. etc

Thanks everyone for your advice, brilliantly helpful as ever :hug:

Like Sassy says we are in Spain so when it comes to insurance forget it... it is impossible to get insurance for most things and because the fines are so pathetically small and no-one pays them why bother with insurance??!!! Mind boggles...

Anyway it seems that I can indeed start charging for services and just increase my price structure the more experienced I start to get.

One little thing though...and it was something my daughter brought up....

Say for instance I charge 15€ for a full set because I want the practice.
But... ( now this is theoretical and unlikely but nevertheless ) I did a really good set and the client is really pleased and thinks they look great.
Now 6 months down the line I want to double my price to 30€ because I feel I have improved. But...the client looks at her nails and to her they don't look any different than when you were charging 15€ and now you are asking her for double that!!!! Is she going to accept the price hike?

I am not trying to say I do these wonderful sets...dear me I wish...it was just a thought at how you can increase your price and then try and justify it to a paying client who was quite happy with the treatments and service she received while paying the low price! :lol:

Or do I just think too much? :green:

It's not about the LOOK it's about the LAST.

Of course the look is important but you have yet to see how well your work lasts over a three week period.

When you are pleased with the look, the last and the time you do them in, then go right up to full price. Until that time I would charge a reasonable amount to cover the cost of the product used and then some more for your time which is still valuable if not experienced.

One little thing though...and it was something my daughter brought up....

Say for instance I charge 15€ for a full set because I want the practice.
But... ( now this is theoretical and unlikely but nevertheless ) I did a really good set and the client is really pleased and thinks they look great.
Now 6 months down the line I want to double my price to 30€ because I feel I have improved. But...the client looks at her nails and to her they don't look any different than when you were charging 15€ and now you are asking her for double that!!!! Is she going to accept the price hike?

I am not trying to say I do these wonderful sets...dear me I wish...it was just a thought at how you can increase your price and then try and justify it to a paying client who was quite happy with the treatments and service she received while paying the low price! :lol:

Or do I just think too much? :green:

I think the important thing here is to be very clear that you are charging at a cheaper rate because you are training/ practicing.

Set a time limit on it from the start so that clients knoe the price will be going up on XXXXX date.

I also think it's a good idea to set your prices in phases. ie $X while training, $XX for 2 months, $XXX for 6 months. Rather than jump straight from doing them really cheap while training, straight to full rate.

hth

It's not about the LOOK it's about the LAST.

Of course the look is important but you have yet to see how well your work lasts over a three week period.

When you are pleased with the look, the last and the time you do them in, then go right up to full price. Until that time I would charge a reasonable amount to cover the cost of the product used and then some more for your time which is still valuable if not experienced.

They better had last...one of my own biggest bugbears is that I have received enhancements that have lasted less than a week...

I am being taught well... :lol:

They better had last...one of my own biggest bugbears is that I have received enhancements that have lasted less than a week...

I am being taught well... :lol:

this is what was worrying me.

what if they all fall of withing a week how pants would that be:cry:

BUT.....

i did my mother in laws 2 weeks ago when she went on holiday to Egypt she turned up late i said "you must give me at least 3 an half hours she gave me 2 and a bit :mad: anyway i though never mind i will try my best.

i decided to save me alot of time i would do sculpts (first time, never done them before) so 2 hours later they were done. i wasn't happy with them as being my first they were going to be crap but i thought well like them or lump them you get what i can produce in 2 hours! lol.

well she was pleased and i just hoped they would stay on she loves the sea and pool and the sun so i imagined them to come back half missing and a weird yellowy color BUT ......no they had only slight lifting on both thumbs and ring finger thats it couldn't believe it i was well chuffed :)

so mercedes69 have faith in your work!

and charge what you feel is right to cover costs and your time.

now i'm off to read sassy's guide :hug:

I was just wondering... as my hubby was asking when I would get some return for my little spending spree's :lol: He sees me using all my products you see... and is wondering if he lashed out on an expensive hobby LOL

Lol I get this all the time too. xxx

Latest posts

Back