When your prices start low it is hard to increase them?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also with the amount of time this crazy woman spends looking up prices n such... maybe she should go to cosmetology school and she can do everything her dang self!

I would see what other decent tech's are charging and set your prices that way. Again clients that like a good service and want quality products used may think you are using the same as the nss salon's as you are so cheap! Believe in your abilities and up with those prices :-D x.
Ohhhh my gosh I'm so scared of this! I'm getting ready to start my pricing and told a friend I'd be charging probably $25 a full set of acrylics(totally underselling myself, but doing what you did and want to build some clientelle) and she said "What!? That's expensive! The place is the mall is doing buy one get one free for 25!" I almost died! I always peek at money conversion sites when yall say british pricing, 25 US dollars converts to 15 GBP, is this insane or what!? And this is me including any colors and whatever else. Unfortunately there are TONS of "value salons" in the area, in fact that's about all there is, offering full sets of acrylics for 18-25 dollars. You know the kind, "prep" the natural nail by e-filing on it, not pushing back cuticles, popping on some white tips (sized all wrong!) and I'm QUITE sure putting some MMA clear acrylic over top, and wahoo, you're out in 45 minutes! I know everything wrong with this but no one else seems to! Told the girl she gets what she pays for and to enjoy her staph infection, lol. Wow, that turned into a rant. Anyway, point is people are nuts and I'm scared to death to see what happens when I get to that point, as I know I'm not selling myself short for life, I love doing nails but this isnt just a damn hobby, I want to add a little income!

Ohhhh my gosh I'm so scared of this! I'm getting ready to start my pricing and told a friend I'd be charging probably $25 a full set of acrylics(totally underselling myself, but doing what you did and want to build some clientelle) and she said "What!? That's expensive! The place is the mall is doing buy one get one free for 25!" I almost died! I always peek at money conversion sites when yall say british pricing, 25 US dollars converts to 15 GBP, is this insane or what!? And this is me including any colors and whatever else. Unfortunately there are TONS of "value salons" in the area, in fact that's about all there is, offering full sets of acrylics for 18-25 dollars. You know the kind, "prep" the natural nail by e-filing on it, not pushing back cuticles, popping on some white tips (sized all wrong!) and I'm QUITE sure putting some MMA clear acrylic over top, and wahoo, you're out in 45 minutes! I know everything wrong with this but no one else seems to! Told the girl she gets what she pays for and to enjoy her staph infection, lol. Wow, that turned into a rant. Anyway, point is people are nuts and I'm scared to death to see what happens when I get to that point, as I know I'm not selling myself short for life, I love doing nails but this isnt just a damn hobby, I want to add a little income!

Most services are cheaper in the US than UK and yes it is hard to compete. I researched long and hard before I opened the spa.

Bottom line is there are people who will pay for quality work, treatment and surroundings.

You know what it is like when you go to those nail places, they leave you midstream to answer the phone, greet other clients, shout to their co workers in their own language, TV blaring, my local one also has their kids runnning up and down, food being cooked in the backroom wafting thorough, they don't change the sheet on the facial couch where they do the facial waxing, suspect products yadda yadda yadda. A lot of my friends went there as they didn't know where else to go.........now they do:lol:

The come to us pay slightly higher and enjoy what we offer so don't lose heart you don't have to compete with these places. The trick is to advertise what you will charge in the future but have a special intorductory price of xx then there will be no surprises that the next time or after a cerain amount of time the price will be the higher.

Good points! Upping the prices a bit and giving people "intro prices" is a great idea! One of my big problems is I'm still waaaaay slow, speed has never been my strong point, but most people can appreciate that I take my time so that's a plus!

Hi Geeks

Is anyone in the same situation as me. I am a mobile, and when Shellac first came out I thought I will do some special offer prices to get clients in, and also so I could show them how great it is.

The other day I did Shellac Rosebud on a lady, and a week later she text me to say how lovely they still are and is getting some nice comments off other people.

She then said that she has been doing some research in the area and even though my prices are good at just £13.00, She has found somewhere that is doing them at £15.00, so I am still a bit cheaper and will stay with me. I think she has done this because I said it was a special offer and that I will be putting the Shellac Colour to £15, Shellac French to £18 and Shellac with dd £20. I think that my prices are still very cheap.

Then two days later she said that her thumb had chipped and that it would be a rip off if the prices had been higher than £13.00. She came round the next day and I re-did the nail. She was then telling me that some salons charge £20 and that is a total rip off. In the mean time I am just being polite but really wanted to tell her to stop being tight, and to not come back.:irked:

Oh she also told me that she has checked how much I have paid for the Shellac including the Lamp and said that it is quite expensive, because she wanted to buy it herself off (ebay) because it doesn't look hard and she could do it herself.

It didn't stop there she told me her hairdresses charged her £70, so she borrowed a card of one of her friends to go to Sally's and check what she pays for the products she uses, and was shocked at how cheap they are, I was saying to her she has to charge for her petrol, plus her time etc etc, but she didn't seem to care.

She absolutly does my head in, but because I have only been doing nails for a year I can not turn business away. :eek:

I am going to tell her tonight that I am putting my prices up, I was going to wait till after Christmas, but I think they are too low and she is just taking the mick out of me.:lol:

So what I am really saying is when you start your prices low, it is hard to put them to the normal price without upsetting some clients.

Sorry about the rant.:hug:

Tracie xxxxxxxxxxxx

I wonder where she does here food shopping- at the Abattoir ...:lol::lol::lol:

After informing your clients that " as of next month there will be a slight price increase",
I have slid the notice under my table glass for them to read, and about 70% just said nothing, 10% said fair enough you do a great job, and to the other 20% who winged , I just looked up with a smile and said.." Good work aint cheap, cheap work aint good". They still re-booked.:lol:

After informing your clients that " as of next month there will be a slight price increase",
I have slid the notice under my table glass for them to read, and about 70% just said nothing, 10% said fair enough you do a great job, and to the other 20% who winged , I just looked up with a smile and said.." Good work aint cheap, cheap work aint good". They still re-booked.:lol:

Great phrase, think I might need to use that one.x:)

Latest posts

Back