When your prices start low it is hard to increase them?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracie130178

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

Is anyone in the same situation as me. I am a mobile, and when Shellac first came out I thought I will do some special offer prices to get clients in, and also so I could show them how great it is.

The other day I did Shellac Rosebud on a lady, and a week later she text me to say how lovely they still are and is getting some nice comments off other people.

She then said that she has been doing some research in the area and even though my prices are good at just £13.00, She has found somewhere that is doing them at £15.00, so I am still a bit cheaper and will stay with me. I think she has done this because I said it was a special offer and that I will be putting the Shellac Colour to £15, Shellac French to £18 and Shellac with dd £20. I think that my prices are still very cheap.

Then two days later she said that her thumb had chipped and that it would be a rip off if the prices had been higher than £13.00. She came round the next day and I re-did the nail. She was then telling me that some salons charge £20 and that is a total rip off. In the mean time I am just being polite but really wanted to tell her to stop being tight, and to not come back.:irked:

Oh she also told me that she has checked how much I have paid for the Shellac including the Lamp and said that it is quite expensive, because she wanted to buy it herself off (ebay) because it doesn't look hard and she could do it herself.

It didn't stop there she told me her hairdresses charged her £70, so she borrowed a card of one of her friends to go to Sally's and check what she pays for the products she uses, and was shocked at how cheap they are, I was saying to her she has to charge for her petrol, plus her time etc etc, but she didn't seem to care.

She absolutly does my head in, but because I have only been doing nails for a year I can not turn business away. :eek:

I am going to tell her tonight that I am putting my prices up, I was going to wait till after Christmas, but I think they are too low and she is just taking the mick out of me.:lol:

So what I am really saying is when you start your prices low, it is hard to put them to the normal price without upsetting some clients.

Sorry about the rant.:hug:

Tracie xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Geeks

Is anyone in the same situation as me. I am a mobile, and when Shellac first came out I thought I will do some special offer prices to get clients in, and also so I could show them how great it is.

The other day I did Shellac Rosebud on a lady, and a week later she text me to say how lovely they still are and is getting some nice comments off other people.

She then said that she has been doing some research in the area and even though my prices are good at just £13.00, She has found somewhere that is doing them at £15.00, so I am still a bit cheaper and will stay with me. I think she has done this because I said it was a special offer and that I will be putting the Shellac Colour to £15, Shellac French to £18 and Shellac with dd £20. I think that my prices are still very cheap.

Then two days later she said that her thumb had chipped and that it would be a rip off if the prices had been higher than £13.00. She came round the next day and I re-did the nail. She was then telling me that some salons charge £20 and that is a total rip off. In the mean time I am just being polite but really wanted to tell her to stop being tight, and to not come back.:irked:

Oh she also told me that she has checked how much I have paid for the Shellac including the Lamp and said that it is quite expensive, because she wanted to buy it herself off (ebay) because it doesn't look hard and she could do it herself.

It didn't stop there she told me her hairdresses charged her £70, so she borrowed a card of one of her friends to go to Sally's and check what she pays for the products she uses, and was shocked at how cheap they are, I was saying to her she has to charge for her petrol, plus her time etc etc, but she didn't seem to care.

She absolutly does my head in, but because I have only been doing nails for a year I can not turn business away. :eek:

I am going to tell her tonight that I am putting my prices up, I was going to wait till after Christmas, but I think they are too low and she is just taking the mick out of me.:lol:

So what I am really saying is when you start your prices low, it is hard to put them to the normal price without upsetting some clients.

Sorry about the rant.:hug:

Tracie xxxxxxxxxxxx

Yep. Its definately hard to raise your prices if you start too cheap. But it doesnt mean you cant.

The problem with being cheap is you attract the skinflints!! Like this lady who sounds like a bit of a nightmare!!!! I had all sorts of wierdos and loonies and it put me off a bit.

My prices have gone up £12 for a full set since i first started!! I lost all but one of my first clients i had who just wanted cheap but have since gained a much nicer client type, they are more loyal, more happy to pay for their service and less likely to try and get something for nothing. They also book more reguarly.

Good luck with your price change, i'm sure the lady in question will have plenty to say about it but if she goes elsewhere it might be a blessing really :lol:

Yes it is hard. I started mobile with very low prices like you wanted to get the word out. When I raised my prices I also lost all but one client but I am pleased I did.

I did used to do her Minx but she wanted Swarovski Crystals on her big toes and said there will be extra charge for this, she had a fit and said will not pay more. Then she came back and asked me to do her Shellac, and has basically done the same and moaned lol.

Well I will tell her tonight about the increase in price, and do you know what I am going to really enjoy it.

xxxxx

This woman is just trying it on in any way she can to get it to stick at 13.00. Take no notice and raise it to 15.00 anyway. Why miss out on an extra 2.00 per customer (of which you hope to have lots over a two week period) than worry about losing her 13.00 every two weeks.

Im betting she sticks with you anyway.

I did used to do her Minx but she wanted Swarovski Crystals on her big toes and said there will be extra charge for this, she had a fit and said will not pay more. Then she came back and asked me to do her Shellac, and has basically done the same and moaned lol.

Well I will tell her tonight about the increase in price, and do you know what I am going to really enjoy it.

xxxxx

Thats good to hear, who needs clients like this.

I get it all the time especially with hubby's family say oh so so does it cheaper than you fine go and use them and see if you get the same value for money some people forget the time you spend travelling to and from houses and the time you take doing the treatment. Put your prices up hun I charge £20 and gettin peps coming for that. :)

I'd tell her the price and stick to it :D

Until I get my timings up, I was charging £15 for a full set and £10 for rebalance. Yesterday I've raised it to £20 per full set and £15 for a rebalance. I'm at around 2 to 2 1/2hours for a full set. I know thats quite a long time, but I'm getting there.

I will eventually be charging £30 per full set and £20 for rebalances, if people don't want to pay it, then I don't do it, simple. I'm not selling myself short anymore :D

Good luck x

Yes I will be putting the prices up. Some people just love being tight, I think it must make them feel good about themselves arrrgh!!!

See you tomorrow Caroline. I am really looking forward to this Eyelash Training. xx

Well you know what? That isn't the sort of client you need. The prices you charge comprise your products, your other costs, and the fact that you are trained. She isn't trained so even though she might be able to get the products, she won't do a good enough job.

It sounds to me like she's a nightmare client and putting your prices up will do you two favours: you'll start earning a fair price, and you'll get rid of her.

Definately put your prices up and enjoy it!
I am pleased i didnt do an opening offer with shellac, I charge £23 for a colour and £25 french- send her my price list if you like- I'm sure she'll have a fit then! I've seen other prices up to £40 nearer to London too!

How much do you charge for a regular manicure? I think your prices are very low anyway at only £13.
Its not just the products customers are paying for, but your SKILL, the training you have done, your time, petrol, insurance as well... does she think this all was free!?

I think you'll be better off when you lose the skinflint if she doesn't pay the extra- charge what your worth and dont feel guilty, your a business not a charity!! :hug:

Hang on a minit?? She went into sallys to check the prices of products, she actualy went in her car and took the time to do this..waaay too much time on her hands. Also what annoys me about these type of people is this. I they complane about EVERYTHING, right there is a place in complaining about things like the NHS, price of petrol etc every one does it and it effects daily life. How the hell does she have time to complain about the price of a non essencial manicure treatment, if there was something wrong like if you pay out for a product or service and its not up to standard fair enough. But sitting there complaining about the price, investigating what her hairdresser uses etc. I realy do not have a clue where these wierdos get off, ive come across a few in my time, people who do nothing but be negative and find something to complaine about, they could be passed the crown jewels and say they look cheap lol. Any way enough of my rant, put your prices up to what they should be, if you lose a couple of clients, so what you will be earning more, and the spaces they went in will be filled with new clients who are happy to pay your prices! Good luck!:hug:x

Well you know what? That isn't the sort of client you need. The prices you charge comprise your products, your other costs, and the fact that you are trained. She isn't trained so even though she might be able to get the products, she won't do a good enough job.

It sounds to me like she's a nightmare client and putting your prices up will do you two favours: you'll start earning a fair price, and you'll get rid of her.

I agree with this.

I don't offer Shellac yet as I only have the lamp, still no products ! I was under the impression the prices should start around £20 ?

I do not believe she borrowed her friends sallys card and went to check the prices. Sounds complete rubbish. How on earth would she know what products they were for starters ?!

I hope you didn't charge her for re doing a nail after 9 days I can't see how any chipping would be your fault.

I kept ranting on to my husband about her because I just could not believe the things she was saying to me, that is why I had to put it on here before I started talking to myself lol.

Well I have told her that my prices will be going up,and was so shocked that she just said no problem I will still be using you (shocked) to say the least!!!! Just shows she was trying it on,and the fact that I am still cheap.

In the Salons in my area they are charging £20 for Shellac, so I have just said my Shellac colour will be £15, French £18 and Shellac with DD £20. I know they are still low, but there are so my salons in my area, I wanted to keep my prices lower to attract more clients (maybe not the right ones I agree)

Regards to the Sally's card she borrowed off her friend, she saw the products the hairdresser was using because she went to her house, so just went to check out the prices. Yes and she has got too much time on her hands!!!

She really does think she is so clever when she say's these things,but she is just showing herself up in my eyes.I would love her to start up in this industry she would not know what hit her.

Thank You for your replys,they have give my husband a break he he

Tracie xxx

You are always going to upset some clients when you put your prices up. But you won't upset any of the ones worth holding onto. This woman quite obviously is using her bad humour to try and keep your prices down. Fine if people like this lady are all you ever want to service. At some point you have to put these types of people aside and focus on the ones who will value you, your time and your skill.

I would charge what the salons are, I do :) I have had a few clients who have been put off by folk offering cheap deals and these are the clients you need not ones like that nutter :lol:
At the end of the day if everyone keeps under cutting each other we will all end up working for peanuts :cry:
Great advice from Samantha Sweet, I was thinking of lowering prices and she advised I put them up, I thought what ?! but its the best advice ever as it is now attracting the right type of clients who like quality products and a good service. hth :hug: xx

To be honest I think this lady is an embarrassment to herself! Does she not know how business works!

I like to eat out but would I go to the food wholesalers to price up my meal - no! I am paying for the experience and the convenience!

You are a business this is your job! Would she do her job for free - no!

I hate tight people and those that talk about money constantly. Nails and hair or NOT essentials if you can't afford it don't have it! There are plenty of otc things they can buy for cheap if they are that desperate.

Sorry for the outburst but I hearing a lot about clients like this atm and it really gets on my nerves!

This sort of thing annoys the hell out of me. I would not have tolerated her for as long as you have tbh :eek: at least not without telling her that she is paying for a professional service and products and that I was running an introductory offer and it would be her choice to rebook. Point out that she has been able to try out a high end service for a lower price. These products are not available to non professionals and cannot be guaranteed buying off an auction site. Do not be bullied into keeping your sevice charge low. On the odd occasion when I have experienced this type of thing I have told clients that they are better off going elsewhere if they want cheaper treatments. These clients unless they accept it will only cause grief and you really are better off with those that appreciate and respect your business, time, training, products and expertise.:hug:

Firstly don't let one nutter client dictate how you charge for your work. Second, if a client tackled me about the price of a tube of tint, I would point out that what she is paying for is my knowledge of what is the CORRECT tube of tint to use!! PLUS I don't come to work for free.
You are better off sacking this client. If people give you grief it is better not to have them in your client list.

Ohhhh my gosh I'm so scared of this! I'm getting ready to start my pricing and told a friend I'd be charging probably $25 a full set of acrylics(totally underselling myself, but doing what you did and want to build some clientelle) and she said "What!? That's expensive! The place is the mall is doing buy one get one free for 25!" I almost died! I always peek at money conversion sites when yall say british pricing, 25 US dollars converts to 15 GBP, is this insane or what!? And this is me including any colors and whatever else. Unfortunately there are TONS of "value salons" in the area, in fact that's about all there is, offering full sets of acrylics for 18-25 dollars. You know the kind, "prep" the natural nail by e-filing on it, not pushing back cuticles, popping on some white tips (sized all wrong!) and I'm QUITE sure putting some MMA clear acrylic over top, and wahoo, you're out in 45 minutes! I know everything wrong with this but no one else seems to! Told the girl she gets what she pays for and to enjoy her staph infection, lol. Wow, that turned into a rant. Anyway, point is people are nuts and I'm scared to death to see what happens when I get to that point, as I know I'm not selling myself short for life, I love doing nails but this isnt just a damn hobby, I want to add a little income!

Latest posts

Back