Where have all the clients gone???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louiser

Reaction score
Morning,

I am desperate, at the minute I dont know what to do.

I work full time in an office and they run my beauty part time either mobile or from home.
I have 4 clients, two pay me in full (£20 in rebalance), they are friends, one got my number from the yellow pages and the other came along with her.
The other two pay my £10 for each infill, one is a friend, the other is my old science teacher.
The science teacher will sometimes have a pedicure or some waxing which she always pays me for.

Last night I was doing one of the full payers when she told me that she will be doing a 2 day 'nail course' with a local supplier in a couple of weeks and went on to explain how she will then be able to do her own. She is doing in with her niece who also used to come for the odd set. She tells me she is only doing it to keep her niece company and doesnt plan on launching a business and stocking up on products. She also says that even though she wont be having her nails done she still plans on having some sort of treatment every couple of weeks, at the end of her appointment she booked to have her nails removed ready for the course and a facial.
Whilst she was with me she got a call from her friend who I could hear explaining that she only had 2 nails left (I did them about a week ago) and she couldnt afford to keep paying out for new ones so thought she wouldnt have them done any more. She's a cook with her hands in water all the time using chemicals all the time and has told me that she cant wear gloves. This ladies hands are sore looking with bitten nails and over grown cuticles. I am hoping that I could convert her to a manicure or something?

My ols science teacher is moving about 15 miles away this week. For the first appointment I have said that I will go to her, I am just worried that she will expect this all the time now, £10 is not enough to travel this distance!

The other half paying lady is a friend which because she works in an office with lots of other women and also in a pub we made a deal that if she advertised my business I would do her nails half price. So far she has got me one bridal package consisting of a full set and make up.

I just dont know what to do, I really need the money my extra job brings in. I just know im not very good at promoting it. I need help!

Thank you for taking the time to read my essay!

Hi I understand your disappointment but you are really putting all your eggs in one basket! Clients do move away and do decide to do their own treatments sometimes - its life. What have you done promotion wise so far? Do you have a notice board at work you can put a flyer on - what about leaflet dropping? I think it sometimes can be hard if you work at this PT after a FT day job. You really have to be proactive if you want to build this up or are you just happy with a few people a week. Step back and take stock.:hug:

When I had all four clients it was good, I could accomodate the extra client and still have time for the proms and wedding one off's. Now I am down to one its hurting a bit!

Seeing as I always big up my full time job to my clients I asked if I could have some leaflets left on our hospitality area, according to 'brand standards' I'm not allowed!

I have just managed to arrange with the girl who is supposed to help me promote that we are going out to post some leaflets next week before her appointment so I am happy with that.

In this situation, I dont want a flock of too many clients that I dont have the time to see but I would like a steady flow if that makes sense.

For someone in my shoes would you say that I should be looking at 'free' promoting by posting leaflets or should I be looking at paying for a newspaper advert?

I'm in a fulll time "other" job too and don't have any enhancement clients at all now. However, manis and pedis are going OK. I think people don't want the commitment of having to pay for regular maintenance appointments at the moment, so the odd little treat is a preferred option.

All that newspaper ads ever bring me are more advertising people ringing me!!! Car signs, leafleting local "whats on" style mags, offer discounts to people in the public eye I do this to a group of young travel agents, and estate agents, seems odd but thy are chatty friendly people and always hand my cards out and refer clients. Cross refer with a local hairdresser perhaps? Wedding Shops, Clothes shops (smaller ones) pubs, clubs......stock up on free ad stuff from vista, and once you leaflet re leaflet the same area a few times (sassys advice :green:) ....ummm ummmm buy one get one free offers, 2 clients 2 lots of word of mouth!! Tan for a tenner day (this will work if you highly advertise it!!)

All out of ideas now!! LOL

HTH xxxxx

vistaprint are fab for doing business cards & postcards (free sometimes) to put up in windows have some really nice beauty/nails/spa designs to pick from

Do you work everyday with your full time job? I find that this can sometimes get in the way. Although your full time employment is your 'guaranteed' income, it would make sense if you at some point either go part-time or do nails/beauty full-time.

As others and I would tell you, it isnt easy doing a full-time job and nails/beauty.

To get clients can be hard work, put in the extra time and effort and I'm sure you will end up with loyal ones as well as clients who only want to treat themselves now and again!:hug:

get flyers printed and go door to door also try putting flyers up in leisure centres- young girls are always in and out with school (and they loorve their nails)

I went out yesterday and posted about 150 leaflet and price lists with a few of the Vistaprint free postcards and things I had. I had one call whilst I was still out for the 'tan for a tenner', she booked in on Thursday.
I took another call for the same thing this morning who has booked in a week on thursday.

Looks like I'll be out trawling the streets over the next few weeks!!!

Thank you for all your helpful advice.

Louise

Latest posts

Back