Where price-wise did you start?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsadie

Reaction score
Hi guys :)

I'm starting this thread because there have been a few lately asking what price bracket new Techs should start themselves at. This was going to be primarily nail orientated but I thought about it and am throwing it wide open to every Tech whether they're a waxing/tanning/nails/Beauty Therapist or Hairdresser.

It is hard in the beginning, as obviously the skills you have aquired are brand new and just a foundation for the skill you now have. It takes time to be proficient, so whan all you established Techs out there started, I'm sure you had the same concerns re: pricing.

How did you price yourself? Was it in the lower end in the hope that you would attract more clients who base their looks on price alone and hope they would stay with you when you increased your prices as you got better?

Did you start in the middle of the price bracket for your area as then you would attract those who maybe could afford to spend a little more and if you didn't attract clients you could then either discount in some way or put on promo's?

Or did you start of with no intention of lowering your prices you had in your mind for anyone, knowing you would attract the clients who you knew a) could definately afford it and b) would come each time for their re-wax/re-balance/top-up tan/hair colour, etc?

Or was it a mixture of these things or something completely different!

Everyone has to start somewhere and it is hard knowing how to price your services, especially in the current climate (did anyone start up in the last recession?) and the fact there seem to be so many people offering roughly the same as you, confidence also plays a part in how you price (I have found anyway), so come on peeps, let us know how you got around it :)

Edited to say I don't want actual prices, just what type of pricing you went for for your area, did it work and why. Of course everyone is different, just wanting to get a feel.

Last edited:
When I first qualified I was employed so never chose my prices, however by the time I went self-employed I decided to charge in the middle to slightly higher bracket as I had no interest in being what I call a "Betty's Beauty Box" type of business!

When I first qualified I was employed so never chose my prices, however by the time I went self-employed I decided to charge in the middle to slightly higher bracket as I had no interest in being what I call a "Betty's Beauty Box" type of business!

Thanks Martin, this is what I was looking for :). It's not for me, I already have my pricing structure and am happy with it (middle to higher end) but there are quite a few newbies here who ask this question, and a lot of them (i feel anyway) majorly underprice themselves when just starting out.

Not only do I feel it's damaging to the industry as if we all went cheap we'd be out of business as fast as the banks went bust, but it's as if they are afraid to say "I am a good tech so pay what I'm worth or don't bother" (you need to say this even if you don't feel it I think). I know some are really new and training rates are fine, we all need clients or we wouldn't be earning money, but once they decide to actually make a business out of their skill they need to charge accordingly. I would prefer to have the higher end who can look after their nails, keep up the waxing and afford the maintenance rather than the bargain basement who are looking for a quick fix for a Friday night out.

I'm not a snob, don't get me wrong and if this type of client came to me I would treat them as any other, but to actually have a thread with some input from long standing guys and gals in the industry to how they priced themselves, did it work and why (and if not why not), I think is a great starting point for them.

:hug:

I have to admit when I first started I was hardly charging anything. I think you have to work hard on yourself on the business side just as much as the actual training. A lot of people find it hard to charge people when they start out as they are not thinking of their services as a business yet. It really helps to know someone in the biz already and that is why I think this site is a great tool for the new tech (and everyone else).

I was charging £5-£10 but I took some great advice (which I now give) not to go any lower than £15 for full sets. I was taken advantage of at first but then stopped doing full sets for a while, re structured my prices and handed them out to all and sundrie. Now I am charging £25-£33 for full sets and havent looked back.

Great thread BTW x

Hi,

I have just set my new business, a home salon offering everything nails, waxing and spray tanning.

I basically got hold of all my local salons price lists then made a note of their charges for the treatments i offer.

I then priced myself in the middle mostly with the exception of "small treatments" like an eyebrow wax where i am priced top end. This is because my salon is evening appointments only and therefore my price reflects convience as well as the treatment.

So far it appears to be working albeit too slowely for me!

The way I work is that I ignore the cost of products and outlay and decide what I want to earn an hour.

Of course this will differ from area to area but it works out really easy.

Say you want to earn X amount a minute or hour. Break your treatments down to time and divide by that amount.

There will be treatments such as facial where you can charge more but I've always found that this way works for me. xxx

The way I work is that I ignore the cost of products and outlay and decide what I want to earn an hour.

Of course this will differ from area to area but it works out really easy.

Say you want to earn X amount a minute or hour. Break your treatments down to time and divide by that amount.

There will be treatments such as facial where you can charge more but I've always found that this way works for me. xxx

Thats more or less the way i work and i think it works fine because although im not at the upper end of pricing i dont use high end products ie my skincare,manicure,pedi range is all middle of the road.
I have made a mistake pricing the Calgel nails i do.Which i wish i had charged much more for in the beginning because now im experienced in them and want to put them up quite a bit, i worry i will lose my regulars and they are probably one of the most expensive nail gels on the market.I hate to think what profit i actually make...i dont even want to go into it.

I have to factor my product cost as I tend to use high end products (Decleor, St Tropez, Jessica, CACI, Refectocil, Cirepil etc), so although I have a basic hourly working rate of about £40 it can be more or less depending on how much it's costing me to do it!

I have to factor my product cost as I tend to use high end products (Decleor, St Tropez, Jessica, CACI, Refectocil, Cirepil etc), so although I have a basic hourly working rate of about £40 it can be more or less depending on how much it's costing me to do it!

And of course you are in a salon and i am mainly at home so i haven't the overheads that you have.
My clients are people that either don't like going to salons for whatever reason or they are ones that really wouldnt be able to afford to pay high end for treatments.They are mostly oaps,students and stay at home mums.I know if they didnt come to me a salon wouldn't get them they would just diy.So i don't feel i undercut anyone,im just priced for the type of client i have and they deserve to afford some pampering too especially my old ladies.

I still agonise over what to charge and I have been in beauty for years! There are a few girls sround me charging really cheap prices and I do wonder whether I should lower some of them - however I do use good products Nimue, Spa Ritual Fake Bake Gold etc. My husband reckons I should be really competitve due the credit crunch and working from home. Out of interest Gillian what do you charge for Calgel as I have started Bio Sculpture and wonder if I pitch it right. :)

The area I live in has a massive impact on this for me...quite simply, everyone here does tips and most don't even offer natural's (I think they do them, but do not promote them so every single person in my area who has had nails has automatically been given french tips :eek:)...and most are £22-23 per full set. No one in my town uses products such as CND etc.]

I will be mobile, (if I ever get it going) and I can't price myself too much over this as I just wouldn't get anyone! However, I am researching surrounding area's to see if this is any different and then I would price myself betweent he two. Altho, I may offer my NSI extensions as well as 'normal' ones (by this I mean using Supernail products) and will charge this accordingly as the product is much more expensive - but I don't expect to see much call for them to be honest.

I'm having a real quandary at the moment on this. My home salon has been open for nearly 3 years and I originally priced myself quite reasonable as:
1. I hadn't been trained for that long
2. I wanted to be assessable to people who may find some high street salons too expensive and unapproachable.

I'm now having a re-think as I just haven't got enough clients and I'm wondering if I'm pitching myself at the wrong client group. I've also read about people charging more and actually finding they get more clients, as people sometimes perceive something as better if its more expensive. I use a mixture of middle to high end products, and I'm a lot more experienced than 3 years ago, so It's difficult knowing what to do.:confused:

And of course you are in a salon and i am mainly at home so i haven't the overheads that you have.

So i don't feel i undercut anyone,im just priced for the type of client i have and they deserve to afford some pampering too especially my old ladies.

Indeed, salon overheads can make quite a difference to the price of a treatment, price yourself too cheap & you can end up paying for the clients treatment! It amazes me sometimes how many clients assume you're on loads of money because of the amount you have to charge an hour just to cover costs!

I agree entirely that there's space for all sorts of businesses catering for all sorts of customer. I have a friend who works mobile most of the time & rents a room in a chiropodists once or twice a week as well, and she does quite well with that, treating OAP's, the unemployed & stay at home mums.

I think the important thing is to identify your target market, in my experience it's very difficult being all things to all people. In my area there's plenty of cheaper alternatives so I made a conscious decision to be a very good high street salon using more expensive & exclusive products - no point all going after the same clients!

I charge higher end prices as I live in a very affluent area and even with this credit crunch on there are lots of people who can afford to and will pay the money (I sadly am not amongst their number, I live in the real world!). There are an awful lot of very wealthy americans here and they like to pay more and get a better service and they feel that if they pay more they get a better service, regardless of whether that service actually IS any better - if anyone can follow that sentence!

I definately get more clients because I charge more, I am friendly and I am flexible!

Latest posts

Back