Where to start?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

always00smiling

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new to this kind of thing, so please be gentle :p

I am a 34 year old mum of three and I have decided to train as a nail technician, although I'm totally confused at which way is best to do this!

I have been having bio sculpture on my nails (toes) for about a year and love it. This is what started the whole idea to train in nails. After enquiring with bio sculpture I started to worry that this intensive course might not be ideal for a complete novice and wanted to get some opinions on this. I also thought it maybe better to learn more than just biosculpture, I say this because my nail tech builds up one of my nails with acrylic due to a running injury.....agrhhhh what to do?

I live in Hampshire and the two closest beauty schools are Helen McGuiness or SSBT in Hambledon. SSBT offer nail tech courses which can be converted to a NVQ In Nail Services but is training in such an intensive way too confusing for those who aren't working in the industry?

With three children a college course 1 evening a week for a year would be very difficult to accommodate but if that is the best way to train then I may have to consider a babysitter.

Help, I'm so confused about this and would love some helpful advice :D

Thank you

Good Morning,

Unless you go back to college, the minimum requirement for training (bio etc) is a recognised mani/pedi certificate.

As you've got little 'uns, this can be done in a day though it's very basic training...

HI
Im also a 34yr old mum, I started training as a nail tech 6yrs ago now, i intially did a homelearn course with essentialnails in acrylic - as this i did when my eldest went to bed and could do it in my time. Once i passed I then started on real people charging not as much as a full pro just enough to cover products at the time.
I then did a course with NSI to their acrylic and also their gel. I also offer BioSculpture too.
I would say start from scratch do a manicure course first as to do most courses you do need this qualification, you can do this at your local beauty cash and carry ie - salonservices or capital. They also do in house training on their own products normally a 5day intensive.
Biosculpture do all of the courses starting from manicure and then progressing - give them a ring and discuss with them they are very helpful.
Its a hard decision when you have kids but I love it and Im always learning as there are so many new things to learn its exciting and its challenging.
I say go for it girl. Choose what fits around you to start and then you can progress from there. There are alot of options out there but its what best for you and your budget. GOOD LUCK

Have a chat with the education providers near you, they'll be able to sit you down and go through costing, course content, entry requirements etc. (They may even be aware of places that help with childcare).

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

X

Thank you ladies. I think what you are saying is that you will learn everything on an intensive course and therefore I should just stop worrying and do the full course with bio sculpture! Thank you, I will let you know how I get on xx

Latest posts

Back