Which blue to use?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamiereid92

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm doing a girls hair next week, she is 18, has 100% natural hair, base 5 very fine hair, without any white.

She wants to have bright blue in the underneath of her hair.

I explained to her that If we went for a bright electric blue it would fade to a greeny blonde and then blonde which horrified her,she doesn't want to be blonde at all.

So I said we could go for a really deep dark blue.

I always use Wella,but I'm stuck on what to use. Shall I use colour touch 2/8 or just the 0/88 mixtone?

I'm worried the 2/8 will be to dark, that it doesn't really have enough blue, just black, and worried that the 0/88 won't do enough!

Opinions please :p x

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

When i was blue it faded to turquoise. I think 2/8 would be way too dark, why not try just /88 on its own? I think you're better off with paintbox or something though!

Be careful use just /88 this was mine when I had it done a while back

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 298
I find a nice bright blue is something wella is missing, I find the /88 so dense it's like always a dark blue never a bright blue so if I was you I would be looking at goldwell elumen, pain box or directions x

I find a nice bright blue is something wella is missing, I find the /88 so dense it's like always a dark blue never a bright blue so if I was you I would be looking at goldwell elumen, pain box or directions x

I couldn't agree more!

Dickson Electric blue is the most awesome electric blue I have used but this last year, I can't seem to find it!
https://www.fudge.com/en-int/category/colour/blue
I have had good success with fudge electric blue or blue velvet....plus you can mix them to a custom color of choice..WYSIWYG too when mixing.....apply always to dry hair,bag & hood dryer for about 15 with cool down.....I usually add on a bit extra charge for color & clear coat any fashion colors too!
Product Details
Teressas extreamers is good for lasting power too with mix & match I like doing their blue with a touch of purple in it!
If you can get a good raw lv.7+ a straight blue is awesome if you get a raw lv.6-, just add the slighest touch of a purple/violet for better staying power & warmth countering & be sure to apply to completely dry shampooed/roughed up hair for best vibrancy & staying power!

The only thing is I don't want to lift the hair before hand because of the Dadi g to blonde x

Oxidising toners arent anywhere near as vibrant as using a semi imo. You wont get that beautiful peacock depth without a semi permanent. I usually use adore turquoise it stains so much, got 6 weeks out of an application washing almost every day and it was still bright blue, so I dont think fade would be an issue here as she would probably be bored of it by the time it went to mint green.
A permanent dark blue is going to be quite dull and theres a chance it will also fade out quite murky too so its a tricky one either way. You might just have to explain that for the best vibrant colours the hair has to be lifted, plus you can always explain that if it fades and she wants rid of the bleached look you can colour correct it.
The chances of a decent strong blue semi fading to blonde would only happen if it was consistently washed every day for months. Usually it stays at mint green and doesnt budge.

As faerififi says, the permanents don't ever look as vibrant and I think you'd struggle to get a decent Blue colour.

I like the Alfaparf 'Jeans' direct dye. It's a dark purple blue and doesn't fade green at all!

It's more expensive initially because it's sold in a larger size than Directions or Crazy Colour but I think it's a much better product.

Blue is such an awkward colour because it does fade, but I have used Directions Turquoise, Lagoon Blue, Atlantic Blue and Midnight Blue before and I find the ones that keep the longest are Turquoise and Lagoon Blue.

The Midnight didn't take very well in my hair at all.

I have tried Crazy Colour Sky Blue and Capri Blue before too but I preferred the Directions ones for vividness and longevity.

Permanent dyes just don't work well for blue shades imo, even if you do find one that is a nice blue it won't stay, it will still fade like the semi permanents do.

Without prelightening on base 5 I don't know if you will get it to go blue, as there would be too much red in the base tone.

Last edited:
If you mix 0/88 with 10/0 it can be quite nice.
Or like a petrol blue (as seen at the trendvision insight) koleston 10g 0/88 40g 0/81 (she had long hair)

If you mix 0/88 with 10/0 it can be quite nice.
Or like a petrol blue (as seen at the trendvision insight) koleston 10g 0/88 40g 0/81 (she had long hair)

I love the sound of the second one!

I love the sound of the second one!

It was quite nice. I didn't take a pic of her hair from the back where the blue was. Doh! Only the formula on the screen.

It was quite nice. I didn't take a pic of her hair from the back where the blue was. Doh! Only the formula on the screen.

Haha, I'm sure i'll get the chance to try it at some point! Hopefully...

Haha, I'm sure i'll get the chance to try it at some point! Hopefully...

I think if you want a blue that's not gonna be really blonde like jamie said its cool. But I wasn't a fan of it with blonde. But then it is trendvision I guess.

I think if you want a blue that's not gonna be really blonde like jamie said its cool. But I wasn't a fan of it with blonde. But then it is trendvision I guess.

Was it more of a deep blue?

Pravana blue neons is absolutely phenomenal

Latest posts

Back