Which is the best gel system?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i_love_nails

Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently using The Edge gel and am not entirely happy with the results and therefore I am looking to change to a different gel system.

BUT there are so many out there I don't know which is the best to choose!

IBD? EzFlow? NSI? Gelak? Calgel?

Can I have opinions on what you think is the best??

Thanks!

why, its the one i use of course !

seriously though, this will be a very subjective answer so its probably better for you to do a search and have a good long read.

you need to be partnered by a quality product but aleays be aware that its the way that you use it that will play a big part too.

I have recently been using Gel life from Dashing Diva with good results, hth

Thanks, to be honest I'm sure they are all good in their own right but there's so much out there it's difficult making a choice! :)

Hi,

I am currently using The Edge gel and am not entirely happy with the results and therefore I am looking to change to a different gel system.

BUT there are so many out there I don't know which is the best to choose!

IBD? EzFlow? NSI? Gelak? Calgel?

Can I have opinions on what you think is the best??

Thanks!

ok

what is it about your edge gel you dont like?

what do you want from your gel?

to be able to offer colour? soak off or file off? do you already offer any other system like l+p for instance?

I don't feel its as high a quality product as some of the other brands I have heard of and think it is more prone to lifting and chipping. The system does not incorporate builder gels or sealants, it is a more basic product.

It is also not a soak off gel which isn't the end of the world and the colour range is limited.

I don't feel its as high a quality product as some of the other brands I have heard of and think it is more prone to lifting and chipping. The system does not incorporate builder gels or sealants, it is a more basic product.

It is also not a soak off gel which isn't the end of the world and the colour range is limited.
I agree with Susan, the best gel is the one I use too (lol) and the majority of technicians will tell you the same :wink2:

How long have you been trained (your profile isn't filled in)?

I've just had a look at some Edge gels and they say you can do free-form sculpting with them, which to me says that it is a builder gel, perhaps a one phase gel?
The range of colours (although not huge or premixed) allows you to mix any colour you want.

Re it being "lift prone", no gel is lift prone providing you are preparing the nail plate thoroughly and not getting any gel on the soft tissue you shouldn't get lifting nor be prone to it, also remembering that your clients play a large part in it re what they're putting their nails through once they leave the treatment.

What do you mean by them not having a 'sealant'? I see that they have a Glosscoat on the website, is that what you mean?

I use CND Brisa - it is wonderful. A buff off gel, as strong as L&P, absolutely brilliant.

It never yellows, is really strong, easy to file and stays looking good from appointment to appointment. I wouldn't change for any reason

I wrote this in answer to another thread about the same.....copy and paste is a wonderful thing...:lol:

What one person loves about a gel another might not....I personally don't like soak off gels...others love them...I like and use Akzentz....but non of this really helps you does it...:)

First off....filter down the range....what do you want from your gel.....soak off...? buff off...? colours...? strong...? flexible...?

I have found that most soak off gels are quite flexable and thats great for NNO (natural nail overlays) or nails that are shortish....becouse they are soak off they can sometimes stain or discolour....but soaking off is quick and easy....great cos alot of soak off gels don't tend to be infilled more than once as they don't file down so great....so its infill...soak off and re-do....infills....soak off and re-do...ect

I have also found that buff off gels are stronger for over tips or longer nails....but have less flexability....but never stain or discolor, staying bright and crisp....but filing off the gel takes some getting used to and needs extra care....but...shouldnt need doing alot cos they are on to stay and you just keep infilling them every 3-4 weeks.

so you see there are a few differences between the two types of gels.

I would try and narrow your choices down and then get a nail done in each at a salon who offers that gel and see how you like it...(just tell them you want a trial nail as a client) or see if any of these companies do any trial kits.

Most places will insist on you doing the conversion course for each brand....thats just so they know you are using their gel to its best ability. But i can understand that doing this for each brand is silly as it would cost ££££££ and you would end up with more lamps than a genie and more gels than Studio Fix.......so to help narrow it down i would write down the names of the gels you are feeling drawn too....search each name on here for threads relating to that gel....read them and get a feel of who's saying what.

I tend to use different brands for different things. Axxium soak off colour, bio colour and free edge, Ezflow alternatives colour and nice application. LCN for pink and whites. But thats just me:green:

Latest posts

Back