Which is the best qualification?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harmit2

Reaction score
Hiya

I've just been made redundant in a Marketing background so i'm looking to follow my dream of being a nail technician and want to start training.

I'm doing my research and wondered what's the best type of qualification to get in both natural and nail enhancements? I probably want to go mobile as i'm due to have my first baby in May and want a flexible working routine.

I'm looking at a college course at the White Rose School of Beauty in Yorkshire. Does anyone know if this is a good idea? It's a 15 weeks course two evenings a week. It sounds great but want to be sure i'm doing the right thing before spending £1000 on it.

Thanks in advance
Hayley

Hey,

Sorry to hear of your job loss, and congrats on the baby.. lol

I'm not a pro or anything but I do know that seems quite a steep amount for a nail tech course.. I paid for mines through beauty-training.co.uk and I'm sure they should have something close to you. Also the course is completed in 3 days so a lot easier. It's really practicing after your course that helps.

Hope this helps xx

Is this a course covering various aspects of nail care and enhancements? I would advise you do to a bit research on here with regards to nail courses, there are a few head runners in the industry, and they provide fantastic training, and ongoing help, Young nails, CND, NSI are a few that you could look into, and compare. I dont know about the white rose school of beauty so am not saying it isnt a good option, theres so much choice, its hard sometimes to choose! I am sure after researching you will find the best option, best of luck!! and best wishes for your lovely new arrival to come!! xx

Thanks girls.
I don't think CND are in Yorkshire, i've seen they are in London. It does look like it's a good option though. I'll do some more research before I commit.

But is there a specific qualification which is best? After reading bits on here i suspect not all courses get you the right certificate to gain appropriate insurance for working on clients etc...

Thanks for the congrats :) I'm looking forward to the arrival x

Sweet Squared who are the distributors of CND in the Uk are based in Leeds, their training is brilliant you can call them on 0845 210 6060.
hth :)

when doing your research make sure that any course you do is accredited, for your insurance purposes, nvq is also ok for insurance, if you go onto the beauty guild website, you can do a course search in your area, and you will be able to see the courses that are accredited in your area, although there will be others that may not be listed on there too xx

Thanks girls.
I don't think CND are in Yorkshire, i've seen they are in London. It does look like it's a good option though. I'll do some more research before I commit.

But is there a specific qualification which is best? After reading bits on here i suspect not all courses get you the right certificate to gain appropriate insurance for working on clients etc...

Thanks for the congrats :) I'm looking forward to the arrival x
Sweet Squared (CND) have educators all over the country so worth calling them to see where your closest academy is. hth xx

Yep - h.q. is right here in Leeds! Definitely give them a call - White Rose is a good school but would definitely consider Creative....

I suggest you check out Leeds City College. I started with a nail course for £46 (mainly just to improve how I do my own nails) which shows all the things you need to do and is a cheap way of making sure you're not wasting money if you end up deciding it's not for you. I've now started their NCFE level 1 course which is equivalent to NVQ level 2 and means I can work in salons or from home etc. That's only costing £240 and if you're on benefits it can cost less or be free.

Be sure to check that the specific course you are enrolling for gives you a qualification accepted by the insurance company you choose.
I was SO close to doing a makeup course which was a lot of money, and the owner of the academy insisted that none of the other students had had a problem getting insurance. When I checked with BABTAC (my insurance company) they wouldn't accept it...

Latest posts

Back