which skin care product to use?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachael204

Reaction score
Hey everyone:)

Am new to all this, just about to open up a salon. Got myself on an ez flow nail course and am doing a beauty nvq too!! But what I need your help with is which is the best skin care product to use and retail?

Any advice greatfully received:lol:

Ta x

Theres much more to it than just our recommendation you need to ask yourself what competition is already in the area and what they are using.Who you are aiming your business at for instance are you going to do men.How much can you afford as start up many companies have minimal outlay and other stipulations.
Have you done a business plan.

Hiya!

It's really difficult to decide this one but I agree, first it definately depends on your budget, they mostly start at around £2500 for min start up orders for a reputable range anyway.I decided on Dermalogica purely on personal preference and from getting the best results after trying all the other main ones in different work places over the years, I'd just keep searching and reading up on here of the different ranges and maybe give all the skin care houses a call most will come out to see you give you samples and prices etc and maybe go and have a treatment of each range too with you not having tried them before, I believe you have to believe in the product you are using 100% to be able to retail it and perform treatments with it too, good luck!
Let us know how you get on :)

i agree there are alot of aspects to consider. I use Dermalogica and as long as they are around I will never use anything else. I just love the results and I always get complements on how beautiful my skin is. Its not my skin its the products I use.

Hiya!

It's really difficult to decide this one but I agree, first it definately depends on your budget, they mostly start at around £2500 for min start up orders for a reputable range anyway.I decided on Dermalogica purely on personal preference and from getting the best results after trying all the other main ones in different work places over the years, I'd just keep searching and reading up on here of the different ranges and maybe give all the skin care houses a call most will come out to see you give you samples and prices etc and maybe go and have a treatment of each range too with you not having tried them before, I believe you have to believe in the product you are using 100% to be able to retail it and perform treatments with it too, good luck!
Let us know how you get on :)

Actually you can get some extremely good brands, for instance Eve Taylor and Priadara, for a lot less of a start up cost. You just need to do some research, contact the companies and ask for info and samples.
If you do a search on here you will find a whole heap of threads from people asking exactly the same questions. Happy hunting!

Decide what your key features for a skincare brand are (ie aroma based, no mineral oil, salon only brand etc etc) then look at which companies offer this within your price bracket. when you have whittled down to three, invite all companies to the salon to talk you through theri philosophy, prices and to try the products. also look at what the local competition is offering.
Have a good think as the outlay is quite big and will impact the type of clients you will get in, how much you will charge for facials etc.
i would personally go for as much as i could afford, as the name itself will attract customers. as a mobile therapist i use priadara, which is a lovely brand, but will not bring all the new customers in on its own, as not many people have heard of it. brands such as dermalogica, phytomer, elemis, nimue, decleor etc are well known.

It is a very difficult, as to which brand to go with. You have to ask what your aims are for the brand within what you offer.

Ideally I feel you would want a brand which offers very good treatments for your clients coupled with good value for money on a cost per treatment basis. Whether this is a high tech solution to problems or a feel good treatment (it should be noted that skincare can only offer temporary solutions - otherwise it would cross over into medicine).

It is also important that there is something to say about the brand you are using. What is the brand's unique selling point? This can be something as simple as good skincare for different skin types to exotic ingredients. What ever it is, it needs to mean something to you or you will never convince your clients of the benefits.

You should also look at what price the products retail to the customer, are they applicable for your client base. Some of you might be thinking that you don't really want to retail on the products that much, but this is an additional unseen service you offer. You are after all the expert - that is why your client came to you in the first place. And do remember that the effects of the products used in the treatment are only temporary (I am sure we have all seen the disclaimer on products 'used regularly can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles'), so it is important for your client to use a skin care product that will continue the benefits of the treatment.

You also need to know what additional services the brand offers. Do you get brochures and are they nice. Is there other support material available? Also does the company charge for these? In this case free is not always better, an ugly brochure can put clients off. Does the brand actively promote you? Does it offer your staff or you incentives? Is the brand strong enough to draw clients in? Will the salon in the next street also have the same brand?

Also do you have to have training to use the products and if you do is there a charge for it and do you have to travel to get the training? This can be a hidden charge by take up your time when you and your staff could be seeing clients.

I guess then, when you have found brands which tick all your requirements, then you have to look into the start up costs and if any deals are available. When you are this far down the line you are likely to know which brand you would like. Don't be scared to ask for a custom package for yourself.

:)thanks to everyone that has given advice so far - given me alot to think about!!

am leaning towards dermalogica, will see what sort of deal they can come up with!!

Thanks again x

:)thanks to everyone that has given advice so far - given me alot to think about!!

am leaning towards dermalogica, will see what sort of deal they can come up with!!

Thanks again x

Dermalogica have a very good opening package, If there wasn't so many salons in my town that already stocked it then I would have probably choosen them. I didn't want to be fighting for the same clientele !

Have you subscribed to any of the trade mags ? Health & Beauty, Professional Beauty etc. They have lots of skincare adverts so you could request info packs from them.

I got info packs from every single skincare company I could find. Then the ones I liked the look of I followed up with more info, then ones I was still happy with I bought products from to try for at least a month.
It took me about a year to make my final dicision, based on price, customer service, how the products performed and the range of products available.

The Eve Taylor Products are a great product line for any therapist mobile or salon based. Not only do they give outstanding results they are reasonably priced with no minimum order that crucifies you before you get started the back up and support is exceptional.
Dermalogica is great but I feel they are over saturated now and they have certainly forgotten the little man! :irked:

Latest posts

Back