White spots after gel polish removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mum

Reaction score
Thanks for posting mum.

I get shivers down my spine when I think of any scraping on the nail plate :shudder(

I'm lucky that my first place of work (where they sent me on gel polish training) used to book ample time for soak offs and was always taught to re soak if the gel Dosent come off gently.

Great info .
Xxx

Thanks for posting this. So important for anyone working with nails!

What with all my Doug Schoon reading and studying for an online course about Ancient Greece, My head is jam packed. Now, must not muddle up my facts!

This thread should be made a sticky, so it can be read by all members all the time and give the reminder of the facts.

Good work for posting this article again, hopefully one day the facts will sink in:)

I just removed my Polish pro on Sunday and ran out of time to re-do my own nails, so they are naked for the first time in soooo long that I can't remember:)
I removed using no tools as per usual and have beautiful non damaged nails, no white spots, no scrapes, no nothing.....until about an hour ago when i was hanging up a tea towel in my kitchen and I was putting it through the metal holder thingy and my thumb nail slipped in a bit too far and as I took it out, the sharp edge of the metal scraped a nice thin layer off my nail.....not happy!!!!:irked:
Oh well:) at least I know I didn't do it during removal stage and surprisingly, it has left no white scrape mark, so it is not visible but I can feel it if I run my finger across it.

For more than a year, Doug Schoon has been warning nail techs and manicurists about nail plate damage due to improper removal of gel manicures. If nail technicians don't wise up soon and start doing things as they should to prevent dehydration spots then soon if not already, gel manicures will be associated with natural nail damage in the same way that enhancements are associated with nail damage. Don't shoot yourself in the foot and start removing properly even if it takes more time!! This damage is completely avoidable with good practice.

From Doug Schoon Scientific

When small white spots appear on the nail plate after removal of the UV nail color coatings, a likely reason is improper removal. Fortunately, the vast majority of this type of nail damage is completely avoidable. How? By taking the appropriate time, care and caution when removing UV nail color coatings, precisely following the manufacturer's instructions, and fully heeding all recommendations. That's good advice for removing any type of UV nail coating.

How can nail damage occur? Soaking the natural nail for even a few minutes in acetone or water will temporarily soften the surface making it temporarily more susceptible to damage from any implements that pry, push or force the remaining residual UV coating from the nail plate. Instead, a good rule to follow is, "use the utmost care for 60 minutes after immersing natural nails in any liquid for more than 60 seconds."

Below are four magnified images I collected, using a scanning electron microscope, to show the result of natural nail damage caused by improper removal of UV nail color coatings.

Image 1 is magnified over 3000 times and shows damage caused by "prying" residual UV coatings from the nail plate. A large cluster of these can create the appearance of white to off-white spots or patches.

Image 2 and 3 prove that even a wooden pusher can damage softened nail plates and bunch up nail cells like a throw rug sliding on a slippery floor. Look closely and you'll see where a wooden pusher created the wide gouges leading up to these damaged areas that range in size from one half to twice the thickness of the human hair and smaller. Imagine the damage a metal pusher and heavy hand could do! The spots are small, but many of them bunched together create the appearance of a diffused white spot in the nail plate. Fortunately, this type of damage is avoidable for most people if these coats are properly removed. UV nail color coatings may not always be suited for every nail types, e.g. problematically thin or weak nail plates. As always, nail professionals should use their professional judgment when assessing a client's suitability for any nail service.

Image 4 is a nail magnified almost 200 times to show a surface scattered with islands of UV nail color coatings which were not properly removed. This is often how the damage starts. Overly aggressively scraping with any implement significantly increases the risk of surface damage. Filing away the residual coating with an abrasive can lead to excessive nail plate thinning. It's best to follow manufacturer's instructions and/or always allow sufficient time to properly soften the coating with an appropriate remover before attempting to remove it from the nail plate. If the UV coating hasn't sufficiently softened, continue softening until the coating may be removed without damaging the nail plate. Don't rush! ALWAYS take the necessary time needed to completely soften any UV coating before gently removing with a cautious approach and careful touch.

Doug Schoon
Scientific Expert

Last edited:
Brilliant article again from Doug Schoon, thanks Geeg. :hug:

I remember reading this before and the photos really bring the message home.

I haven't used any implement in removal since reading this. Hands down pad with nourishing remover is enough to remove any stubborn bits.

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
Wow I'm so glad u posted this, I had a client call me up yesterday that removed her own shellac and said she got white spots, I had NEVER seen or heard of it before and now I can tell her if she spent the extra £5 with me for removal it would have not happened! Thank you :) x x x

Great advice, I too haven't used any tools during removal since I first read this article and have seen a dramatic improvement in my clients nail condition.

I was lucky enough (shame for the client) to see an example of this for the first time recently. A new client booked in and required Shellac removal as well as reapplication. It was indeed Shellac she was using, but once removed there were white splodges over her nails!
We talked about her experience at the salon she had been to previously and she told me that they use a metal scraper to remove. Ouch!

Latest posts

Back