Who has all these oily nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
This is really a response to all those of you who suffer with clients who have lifting problems. Or have clients who complain ... they all just pinged, flew, dropped off or that they lost them somewhere!!

Peeps come on the site and ask why this has happenned and one of the answers they are given is ... Maybe your client had oily nail plates. Well maybe they didn't !!!

99% of all lifting problems are due to incomplete preparation. Check out the Perfect Preparation Prevents Problems tutorial in 'nailclass' or in the Premium Geeks Tutorial section of this site. Read it carefully and then do it!

I worked behind a nail station for years in my salons, saw thousands of clients, and I can only think of ONE client who had these mythical OILY NAILPLATES in all those years ... and they were accompanied by terribly sweaty hands too.

I have never used Primer (acid or non acid) never done more than a really thorough prep procedure and never suffered with lifting problems. I have never filed the nailplate .. only cleaned it and dried it.

Take the time to perform this procedure thoroughly and you will experience the same as I. I'm not unique .. just careful and thorough.

Oh Gigi - you are such a good head mistress! We are such a naughty bunch. Promise perfect PREP from now on.

Way to go Chris!!

i promise not to mention oily plates any more geeg lol
x

ok, im gona put myself in the fireing line and say my sister does have oily nails, she is on a very high dosage hrt and aswell as excess hair she suffers very oily nail plates, i have spent almost an hour preping her nails before and still found that even the tip doesnt want to stick, i am not the only person to have had this problem with my sisters nails as she has visited other nail techs before, she is the only person i have come accross so far with the problem and im sure its down to the hrt, so apart from very thorough prep howelse can you get round the problem?? she would love a great set of nails one day that stay on

It is possible that she can't get around this problem. Neither could my sweaty handed client.

SOME PEOPLE CAN'T WEAR NAIL ENHANCEMENTS!! IT IS VERY RARE (which was my point) I didn't say it didn't exist!

It's just not the first thing I would think of if I had a client with lifting nails. I would look at my prep.

geeg said:
It is possible that she can't get around this problem. Neither could my sweaty handed client.

SOME PEOPLE CAN'T WEAR NAIL ENHANCEMENTS!! IT IS VERY RARE (which was my point) I didn't say it didn't exist!

It's just not the first thing I would think of if I had a client with lifting nails. I would look at my prep.

yep i think she may have to face facts, a good manicure and her nails look great but she will never get the l&p nails she wants,
is it possible to suffer excessively dry nails and would that cause spliting and peeling?

Yes, it would but it wouldn't have anything to do with lifting.

geeg said:
Yes, it would but it wouldn't have anything to do with lifting.

thanks

I had a client yesterday with very sweaty hands, I could see the beads of sweat appear before my eyes when I was doing her nails....her nail plates didn't appear to be oily though (they remained dehydrated...how can you tell if they're oily?), do the two generally go hand in hand?

I guess time will tell and I'll soon know if there is a problem.

Also, should I have mentioned that due to her 'warm' hands she may experience problems....I thought about it but wasn't sure how to say it tactfully without causing offence as I'm sure she would have been very self-concious of the problem perspiration?

Thanks

When I prep a nail I really go to town with the cuticle removing, dehydrating etc.
Must be doing something right because I very rarely have any one with lifting.
No oily plates as yet :rolleyes:

I've never experienced oily nail plates either, when I first started out in the industry, I used to get a lot of lifting but after taking a class I learned that it was down to my prep. I now hold my clients fingers in a death grip...lol and pull down the lateral walls to get right in there and remove any non living tissue and hey presto....no more lifting.

David

I've only ever come across one woman (who I worked with) who just couldn't wear enhancements, it was a few years back now, but I suppose it must have been down to oily nail plates - I swear to God, I had just finished buffing them and the damn things just pinged off right before my eyes - they actually flew up into the air! I'll never forget it! I know I prepped correctly and it wasn't until later that she told me that happens all the time with her - it was very strange. Not come across any similar problems since then.

Jackie

Yep.... It was the prep that was my problem! I even experiemented on my own nails to see if that few seconds more paying attention to scrubbing the nailplate etc made a difference.... and it did! I still get a bit of lifting but I'm learning and improving as I go.

I have oily nail plates but my hands are not sweaty!! I have problems with nail varnish peeling off in sheets! Ive tried different brands ,base coats and top coats and it still happens. But i can wear enhancements. I take care when i prep and i dont have a problem. If a jobs worth doing it worth doing well!

i have oily nails
:o

i have cystic fibrosis and have digestive issues.

i do not digest fats, or fat soluble vitamins. :( when i eat oily food not only am i sick for a few days, my skin is horrid (pile on the talc powder in the summer).

sadly- at the same time i have very dry hair ends ( but not roots) and very dry cuticles, and bottoms of my feet. but i also have diabetes which may be why my feet are dry.

my skin is oily, my hair is oily and so are my nails .

gels last about 3 days, acrylics maybe 2 and false nails with lots of glue seem to last the longest at 4 days.

nail polish also chips fast.

if yall want to come and practise on me you can :p maybe we can find something that works!! :D

That's tough for you I'm sure ... But as I said all those years ago when I wrote this thread, not everyone is a suitable candidate for wearing nail enhancements and for most nail technicians, lifting problems are not caused by oily nails!

The 'oily nail thing' has become a convenient excuse as a cause of lifting along with the 'hormone' thing ... Which is Also largely mythical .... I've done thousands of menopausal women's nails and those on HRT and have not come across anything I could class as a big problem with this group specifically.

Taking your time to be thorough in preparing the nail surface is the key to success in all but the rarest of cases.

Last edited:
Its funny that you wrote this when you did because two days ago a lady came in with no nails on and said they had just "pinged off" she blamed the system we have and asked what the problem was because "being a nail tech isnt rocket science" she said.
She said it is her "oily nails" and that she ALWAYS has this problem no matter who she goes to.
I took a look at her nails and they were thin, her cuties were scabbed and were all bit down. I finally pulled it out of her that she had picked and chewed them off and that it was her fault. (tryed to pull a fast one but didnt work on me :p)
I told her it wasnt her "oily nails" so if she couldnt stand enhancments to try gelish. She turned bright red and booked right then and there for an appointment of a later date. :)
Oooh I was so proud of myself.

I promise to behave with my prep :D

I defiantly have oily nails also sweaty palms ,my nails are a nail tecs worst nightmare lol thay are so thin they peel not much sticks to them I can bend them backwards ,i also do hair and have an under active thyroid to top it off :-(

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Sweaty palms is just that: sweat.
It's not oil and shouldn't be confused as oil.

HOWEVER, having MOIST nails can be an issue.
And that's entirely different from 'oil nails'.

Neither nail plates, nor nailbeds have sebaceous glands. Oil comes from sebaceous glands.

See here to learn about sebaceous glands and where they are located:
Sebaceous gland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which reads:
The sebaceous glands are microscopic glands in the skin that secrete an oily/waxy matter, called sebum, to lubricate and waterproof the skin and hair of mammals.[1] In humans, they are found in greatest abundance on the face and scalp, though they are distributed throughout all skin sites except the palms and soles.[2] In the eyelids, meibomian sebaceous glands secrete a special type of sebum into tears. There are several related medical conditions, including acne, sebaceous cysts, hyperplasia, sebaceous adenoma and sebaceous gland carcinoma (see section below: Pathology).
A branched type of acinar gland, the sebaceous glands exist in humans throughout the skin except in the palms of the hands and soles of the feet.

Latest posts

Back