Who Is Your,or Would Be Your Mentor?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherw55

Reaction score
HI TO YOU ALL!!
I would like to know who is, or would be your MENTOR if you had a choice? And why?
Mine is Lisa smith, i have been lucky enough to have a 1-2-1 with her,I learnt loads. She can really make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!!! she demo'd on one of my stumpy little nails and i was amazed at the beauitful nail i came away with.I would love to have more training again with her if funds permit one day.
Anyway i just wondered who has been your Mentor, and how far have you travelled to get the training you want in your career of nails.
Heather x

i have been training with rachel myatt (k,sa,ra) and i must say she has been great, when i first went to her i had never touched a nail and was a bag of nerves but she totaly putme at ease, i had phoned a few training centres closer to home before i started traning but found some really rude when i told them i was a complete beginer, i live about an hours drive on the m25 from rachel so i stay in a hotel when im there but it is money very well spent, when i did my first set of l&p i was gob smacked as i had understood everything she said, so i think i can say she is my mentor, i have no worries about phoning her if i have a problem and her staff are all friendly if shes not available, shes also totally scatty so we share the same sence of humour:)

Mine has to be mr B, his style of teaching was very refreshing, i learnt more that i dreamt possible,. on my coursre in jan 05, at olympia he had very high placings and did 4 comps in four days, think he was the highest placed brit in his catorgorys?( hope i have got the cats right). What better mentor could we get?

Rachel Myatt who helped me through my NVQ 2 Unit 19 and gives fab nail art and airbrushing courses.

Tracey Leja for helping me achieve my CND Masters in L&P.

Lisa Smith - I would love to do some master classes with Lisa but her schedule is so busy.

Amanda Fontanarrosa - I would also love to do some classes with Amanda but that would mean travelling to Oxford, but I am sure it would be well worth the journey.

GMG, Samantha, Gigi and Marian Newman too, of course.

Marian Newman - can't wait for the Creating Perfection with Marian Newman day that I am attending at Elite in Castleford.

Amanda Craven (Lily) - one of the first geeks I met and when I saw her salon Elite I was really inspired by it and all the work that Amanda has put into getting there.

They both give good, objective advice and they both do celebrities nails and I would love to do that!

GMG is pretty cool too!

My choice of mentor would have to be Gigi (the same for many I'm sure )...I'm sure I don't have to explain to anyone why! :) I would also REALLY love to be mentored by Ketan Patel (definately on my wish list!)...I have yet to meet him but his reputation is always brilliant and I'm sure he could teach me loads and loads! :)

For me it has to be Gigi she is passionate about what she does a fantastic teacher and one of my bestest buddies lol she has been my mentor and will carry on to be in years to come..........thats hoping she don't get fed up with me :)

Thank you Gigi xxxxxxxxx

Take care Dawnie xxx

well can i have 2 ?? or maybe 10 !!!!

I have to say mine are Liza Smith and Kate Rickeard - because i have been fortunate to spend time with these guys and love them and their work and one day .... hopefully not too far away ... I'll be half way on my way to producing work like theirs !

Im very fortunate that Kate is round the corner from me, though shy to ask for help ! ... anyone got any invisible serum left ? i could sit and watch her all day long, and Liza, whilst shes a couple of hours away, id travel to her no matter how far, she truly is inspirational

NOW if i could spend time with some others too ...... Gigi - well just listening to her i dribble with anticipation of whats coming next - i can see now how people become stalkers ! Samantha, down to earth, tells it like it is (must have got this from her mum !!) so much encouragement and love and desire for nails and the industry, Sam oooooooooozes information and knowledge that i want !!, Ruth whilst i havent met her, i hold her in high regards for her achievements and enthusiasm to help others. I just wanna watch and learn watch and learn watch and learn, I simply cannot get enough of them or their work

one day ...... yes i know a long way off ! i hope i can inspire someone

(was that too mushy ??? sorry i have told you im not great with words before !!)

kx

This thread is like "winning an Oscar" speech - and I would like to thank the following LOL.

What does the word mentor mean (one definition)
a wise and trusted guide and advisor

I could not possibly choose only one but I would have to pick from the following list:

Karen Smith for anything to do with Gel nails.
Samantha Sweet for anything to do with people and marketing. Samantha knows how to turn lose lose situations into win win situations and you don't even notice her doing it LOL.
Ruth for anything to do with Fibreglass.
Not sure who for liquid and powder as all who have been mentioned are fab but probably Sam as I have actually seen him work close up and his custom blending was to die for.
And I would also like to add Doug Schoon - if I could just have him in the cupboard quoting relevant sections from his book as I work LOL.

Sorry Gigi but your queue would be just too long LOL.

Sorry - I should have included Ruth who I hope to have some Fabric 1-2-1s with her soooooooon when I have saved enough pennies and Ruth has time to squeeze me in.

Fiona, using your terms "a wise and trusted guide and advisor" then there are three ladies that easily spring to mind>

Samantha Sweet - I have spent an agonising few months considering switching from LCN to Creative as I feel I can grow more with my training within the Creative family, but I am a very loyal person and felt that LCN deserved that loyalty. So many people say this site is Creative biased, but Samantha has never tried to push me towards Creative, she just helped me see the options that were open to me and left the decision to me. But I would never have found the strength without you.

Gigi Rouse - well Gigi you know I call you the Geek's "Simon Cowell in a skirt"!! People may feel the advice you give may come as a bit harsh, but it's what most of us are thinking and too scared to say! I have learned more than I ever thought capable from your wonderful tutorials (roll on the book)You have helped guide my business forwards and I look forward to our friendship in the future.

.... and finally my mum. I always ask her opinion, I don't always follow her advice but I sure welcome and respect it, after all she knows me better than anyone.

So to these ladies I raise my glass, and offer my heartfelt thanks, you're three in a million!!

Amanda Fontanarrosa for me, She explains things just so that I can understand with ease and find any training that I have had a fab experience. Although I was speaking to Amanda about this subject and she said the GEEG is fantastic to boost confidence so would love a one to one. Join the long line of people Boogaloo....

Great Post by the way:)

can i have antony buckley please ? i love everything he does and everyone says he's a thoroughly nice chap, what more could i ask. :)

he is sssssssoooooooooooooooo funny why dont you book to meet him! 4 121?
angel fingers said:
can i have antony buckley please ? i love everything he does and everyone says he's a thoroughly nice chap, what more could i ask. :)

Right my first mentor and the person who has helped me so much with her compassion and kindness is Samantha Sweet :Love:
Secondly would have to be my mate Ant B he is such a kind guy and always trys to help :Love:
Thirdly Gigi Rouse for her fantastic tutorials and wicked sense of humour :Love:

I'm going to say Karren (fellow geek). She is so passionate about nails and learning about nails, that she inspired me to carry on doing nails. I was gonna give up coz i thought i was crap but i have had a huge confidence boost as i now have a few customers who love their nails.

Sammie

ANTONEY BUCKLEY even before i knew who he was(as such) the nails in the magazines i first read amazed me and my son ashley who is 7 says antony looks like him :rolleyes:
when i started to go to the nail shows listen and watch his demo's and see his competition nails, i had made my mind up to book a course with him, and i did and he was brilliant, caring and understood where i was coming from, best money i could have spent.
YOU LOT your all flippin amazing to many to mention, geeg , gmg, samantha, ruth , sassy, lell , jess, sorry if missed you out, without you i wouldnt keep at it and keep lovin it :Love:

Hi All, I have to say that first and foremost Geeg is the one person who mentored me when I went out to Spain to stay for a few days and gave me so much in such a short space of time both on a professional and friendship level. Ruth is an absolute rock and has always been there for me when things have all seem to be going t**ts up and I just cant find the answer or solution and Dawnie who is my Princess and again always there with an answer. I will be having 121 with Ketan in the near future, wrap all these up and the result when you open is success with determination on my side.

David

I admire all of the aforementioned especially those I have seen work first hand like Mr Sweet, Anthoney Buckley, Ketal Patel and Amanda F. I think Marco Benitos artwork is amazing too.

Being a gel girl I'm really into Anna Lajourdie at the mo (often seen posting here). Her advice and tutorials have really helped me especially in finding the whitest white for french and more confidence in sculpting. Anna, if your ever passing..........

Gigi, nuff said, the one and only in my book, I admire this lady so much, hopefully one day i will meet her and hopefully (in my dreams) I will get to do a 1:1 with her.

Latest posts

Back