Who Is Your,or Would Be Your Mentor?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took ages to find a reply to this cos i wasn't sure about the word mentor...

lots of people inspire me ....Geeg's nail pic (solar oil) inspires me lots....as did watching Samuel Sweet at excel doing the demo's. I get lots of stuff from other people too...Ruth has given me tips and advise which has helped me loads...Samantha Sweet gave me the confidence to be proud of my work and more importantly the steps to improve....Trisha Shaw gave me the brill training to do the job i love.

So many of you have helped me too...Angel...Sassy...and last but not least Amber.

ok so i have looked up the word mentor..."giver of advise" well thats gotta be the one that starts with http://thenailgeek.com and all those techs that use it.

As for teaching me more....any offers...warm sunny place with a beach would be nice !!!!!

I salute you all...xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

NailStyle said:
I took ages to find a reply to this cos i wasn't sure about the word mentor...

lots of people inspire me ....Geeg's nail pic (solar oil) inspires me lots....as did watching Samuel Sweet at excel doing the demo's. I get lots of stuff from other people too...Ruth has given me tips and advise which has helped me loads...Samantha Sweet gave me the confidence to be proud of my work and more importantly the steps to improve....Trisha Shaw gave me the brill training to do the job i love.

So many of you have helped me too...Angel...Sassy...and last but not least Amber.

ok so i have looked up the word mentor..."giver of advise" well thats gotta be the one that starts with http://thenailgeek.com and all those techs that use it.

As for teaching me more....any offers...warm sunny place with a beach would be nice !!!!!

I salute you all...xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

omg!!!!!!!!!! angie:hug: i have a tear hun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Love:

you r a star tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo if it wasnt for you i wouldnt have chosen BRISA.

Thanks babe!!

Amb xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

MINKUS said:
my mentors.........hmm............anyone on this site who has taken the trouble to offer me very good advice

to name a few.......

little angel.....sassy.........lilly.......

also Marco....geeg........hell......any of the creative ambassadors !!!

Ambx

aww amber am touched. Always glad to help.

And you angexx bless

My mentor well there are many that have helped me on here but one who dosnt post much but is always there for me, gives me great advice does kick ass nails and is an all round lovely person and shes going to murder me for this its Hollyballoo.

My 1st would have to be Ketan Patel for inspirational teaching.

2nd CND for the best products ever.

3rd Gigi Rouse for positive uplifting support.

4th Mrs. Geek for same positive uplifting support

5th would have to be Ruth Fordham, who is always here to help with any questions and advice. Thank you Ruth.

6th is this Forum and everyone who is involved in this, which is an absolute godsend for any nail technician.

Sam

Awww I have just re read this thread and I am really touched...........thanks guys xxxx
Support is so important to each and every one of us.........Being able to help is just a little way of paying soMething forward...........there is no payback time in geekland , its paying forward that makes this board the success it is xxxx

Little Angel said:
is an all round lovely person and shes going to murder me for this its Hollyballoo.

DAMN STRAIGHT!!!! :Love:

Mine would have to be....Marco Benito....for his sheer genius and patience....
and.....
she will hate me for it.........
but me old mate...Glorsclaws....she is NEVER tired of my moaning bout sumthin or another to do with nails! She is star in the making and she cant see it! What a talent and inspiration! x Thanx Hun!
Luv Ya! xx

I have to say finding this site is the thing that is helping me to be the best I can :)
I was at a point with my nails where I wasn't happy and didn't know why ... then I found this site and spent days and days and days lol reading as many posts as I could and after the wonderful Samantha Sweet having faith in me after only one conversation I did a conversion course with Creative and I realised that if I really want to get somewhere there are the most amazing people here and available to help and advise - so Thankyou Samantha you really are an inspiration to me.
After going to Gmex for the first time last year and for both days I hung round all the guys that I had read about and admired in the mags etc adn watched and asked questions and learnt - as well as spend mucho pennies lol
The last few months have been a traumatic time for me and hopefully I can now see the light and am able to devote my time to becoming a great nail tech.
I have now had the pleasure of spending a day in the presence of the great Antony Buckley whose nails are to die for :) He is also a great inspiration.
There are some fab geeks on this site who are never too busy to help or reply or just buck you up when things seem c**p - Dawnie you are an angel and Liz (newgirl) and Chele - and Sassy what can I say - you are a lady that I admire so much and can only hope to emulate.
I have so much to learn - but to pinch Samantha's words - YOU GUYS ROCK :)
Thankyou Sam for creating this site :hug:

Little Angel said:
aww amber am touched. Always glad to help.

And you angexx bless

My mentor well there are many that have helped me on here but one who dosnt post much but is always there for me, gives me great advice does kick ass nails and is an all round lovely person and shes going to murder me for this its Hollyballoo.

Yes okay, you and me :smack: - we will have a talk real soon - I'm feeling so embarassed :o !!!!!!!!!!

Still, as it is turning into a mutual love fest now, I will say that discovering you has been a total blast - I don't think I have ever laughed and cried at the same time quite so much with anyone else in my entire life so I do thank you for that because you do lift my spirits every time we speak. And if I can ever get to where your business is right now, then I will be a happy gal indeed.

It also goes without saying that, without this site, I would probably have given up at the first wobbly hurdle long ago because this site and everything contained in it has been what I would consider to be my very own mentor - its like a living book of nails that gets updated literally by the minute with all the latest information, views, news and ideas you could ever need and no price can be put on that. The icing on the cake is all the varied and wonderful people who frequent it, so a massive thanks to Sam of course for bringing this wonderful slice of nail heaven right into each and every one of our homes ;)!!

Awhh thanks Sal, Fab and Minkus, i just love what i do and if can help anyone i will, its what makes me tick!!!

For me it would be herman for pushing me and supporting me! he is allways there!!!!!!

Marian Newman, Marians work is amazing and her passion for nails is inspirational, i remember years ago reading the Complete Nail Technician and thinkg oh my god this person is a god!!! I can now say she is not only a mentor but a freind who is allways their to help!

Anyone who is willing to help others and give their honest opinion and not be frightened to stand up and say what they want! All technicians that strive for quality and eductation!

Antony - amazing nails!!!!!! wicked sense of humour

Amanda

Karren said:
well can i have 2 ?? or maybe 10 !!!!

I have to say mine are Liza Smith and Kate Rickeard - because i have been fortunate to spend time with these guys and love them and their work and one day .... hopefully not too far away ... I'll be half way on my way to producing work like theirs !

Im very fortunate that Kate is round the corner from me, though shy to ask for help ! ... anyone got any invisible serum left ? i could sit and watch her all day long, and Liza, whilst shes a couple of hours away, id travel to her no matter how far, she truly is inspirational

NOW if i could spend time with some others too ...... Gigi - well just listening to her i dribble with anticipation of whats coming next - i can see now how people become stalkers ! Samantha, down to earth, tells it like it is (must have got this from her mum !!) so much encouragement and love and desire for nails and the industry, Sam oooooooooozes information and knowledge that i want !!, Ruth whilst i havent met her, i hold her in high regards for her achievements and enthusiasm to help others. I just wanna watch and learn watch and learn watch and learn, I simply cannot get enough of them or their work

one day ...... yes i know a long way off ! i hope i can inspire someone

(was that too mushy ??? sorry i have told you im not great with words before !!)

kx

Wow, Thank you Karren, though i really dont feel worthy of it, - to be put in the same ranks as Liza Smith!
My mentors have to be Jaqui Jefford, who i have learnt absolutely everything from. and Sue Marsh who has given me so much encouragement, love them both!

Cool thread ;)

I would have to say that aside from the obvious; Schoon, Bill the cat, Gumby and Yoda - there are far too many to list.
A mentor is someone who guides and inspires you. I get guidance and inspiration from people on this site, from family, from friends and life in general.

I have always tried to find value to widen your perspective or better yourself in all aspects of life. I learned early that you don't have to look hard to find it :)

Oh, and the Mrs. (She's my mentor and my Muse) :wink2:
gumby.jpg
+
dougschoon_thumb.jpg
+
bill_thumb.jpg
+
yoda_thumb.jpg
=
sam_sweet_thumb.jpg
???

Julie Parkin said:
My role model would be anyone who is more knowledgable than me!! Which basically means quite a few people on this site, actually! Just when you think you're getting more confident, some one pops up with ideas or techniques I've never heard of. Although all information is greatly received and well sponged up!!

Feel a bit stupid now.:o :o :irked: :o :o

I agree with you Julie...there are sooo many people on this site that I appreciate and would love to sit down and listen to for even 15 minutes in person...won't start naming names though...don't want to get myself in trouble!!

I have just stumbled across this thread, so thought that I would add my two penneth worth!

Amanda (Mandini) is a truly inspirational and amazing teacher. Each day spent with her is worth its weight in gold.

The others aren't people who I haven't met (although maybe one day I will) they are, Geeg for her awe inspiring knowledge and undeniably awesome skills. For her take no prisoners outlook and her dedication to this site that helps so many of us. One day I WILL have a 1:2:1 with you (if that's ok:hug: )

Sassy and Sandi, one or the other of you are always here, and the site would be a much lesser site without either one of you. You are both fountains of knowledge and your continuing calmness in dealing with us all always amazes me.

I want to learn Fabric this year, so Ruth you had better watch out, although I knew it already, after reading this thread I am now sure that you are the one to turn to should I need help :hug:

As this thread is a couple of years old, it will be great to read some more up to date posts (although I have a sneaky feeling that it will still be full of the same names)

Mine would have to be;Antony Buckley= he is a phenominal nail tech/artsist................Samantha Sweet= Nows her business stuff inside out and back to front.........Gigi Rouse= What a Legend!!................Margarita Belska= Her work is just amazing.................

I have only met GMG on the Monday mentoring class and he was fab, just watching him for an hour and i learnt so much i was amazed,
as for a mentor i have no idea or no preference as there are so many brilliant techs out there and on here it would be so hard to choose but i would appreciate anyone that mentored me and my work and helped me to improve.
This site has been my mentor for the last 8 months so id like to say a big THANKYOU to gmg for making the site possible and every geek for all been here for each other :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
PS if anyone out there is bored and wants to mentor someone im your girl and boy do i need it lol

Antony Buckley and Gigi Rouse are my mentors

For me it could not be one person, there are so many people on here who have helped me.
There are some who are regulars but sometimes words of wisdom come from occasional visitors who pop their head round the door from time to time.
Thanks to all.:)

As I live so far away from being able to have 'hands on' mentors mine are on here.
Many people on here have given me loads of advice but there are 2 that I would call my Mentors Sassy has been so great with the emergency pages for help.
ValencianNails is a very important mentor to me and I would so I would be lost without her help.

Geeg's tutorials and articles are like having a Mentor on your doorstep.:hug:

Excellent thread and it makes me realsie how lucky i really have been.

Liza Smith, Ruth Fordham, have been my mentors for comp training in natural nails and wouldnt have been able to get the results i have without them.

Ketan patel for showing me how to shape nails so they look beautiful and natural

Monkeys tails georgie for being the first person to let me sit and watch and interogate

Urban geek christine, Glorsclaws and Debs for all the support and help they gave me in my early days and still do

Gigi and Samantha for always making me see the positives in the negatives and make me belive in myself and my ability

My models that i have used in the competitions because without them i wouldnt get anywhere
and lastly
the witches you know who you are who get me through the good days and the really rough days, i couldnt do it without their support.

There have been lots of geeks who have given me advise on various problems but it has to be Sam because if he hadnt started the geek site i wouldnt know any of these people.

Latest posts

Back