Who Is Your,or Would Be Your Mentor?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Heather,

What a brilliant thread, I was just thinking about this the other day.
My mentor would have to be Keton Patel or Anthony Buckley.

I've seen these guys doing demos at nail shows, I just seem to be memorised at anything they do and say.

As far as travel is concerned, it would really depend on my budget. For two hours 1-2-1 I would expect to pay about £200 including travel. So if Keaton wants to give me two hours FREE then I’d travel anywhere in Europe or even to America.

But for now I think we are all very lucky getting help and advice from each other.:cool:

J

Wow and THANKYOU!!
For all your great replys, i really didnt think i would get that many!!! Its great that we have such talented, dedicated,knowledgable, Mentors out there, that keep are passion for nails alive.
I would just like to mention one person who i should have mentioned earlier!!!
Like Sammie ,for me Karren has played a big part, in keeping it alive for me, her passion for nails is to be admired, and without her i really wouldnt be anywhere,and i feel proud to be able to have her as a friend. It is a bit like the OSCARS now isn't it!!!
And also i really couldnt have got anywhere without this site. So THANKS Sam!
Heather x x x

My role model would be anyone who is more knowledgable than me!! Which basically means quite a few people on this site, actually! Just when you think you're getting more confident, some one pops up with ideas or techniques I've never heard of. Although all information is greatly received and well sponged up!!

Feel a bit stupid now.:o :o :irked: :o :o

For me it has to be Gigi, Antony, Liza and Marian, as the word mentor means "a wise and trusted guide and advisor" ... I trust these guys explicitly and they are all there when I need their advise and guidance...no matter where or when..........and without any of them where would I be ???? ........
So huggs and love to you xxx

sammie & heather i think i need to get you guys dictionaries for your birthdays this year !!!

Im totally embarrased and i think your confused with what Mentor means !! lol

cheers anyway - next beers on me !

kx

thank u to heather for starting this thread, & for ur kind words. :Love:
also to karren, chris & ruth it has always been a pleasure to b in your company, i'm very glad that u enjoyed the time too & came away learning something.
my original mentors were geeg & ketan.
i acknowledge now, how lucky i was to have them in the beginning.
these 2 showed me perfection & passion.
samuel has continued to make me strive for both.
my best buddies on our jobs away are amanda fontanerossa, marco, & sue marsh. they always bring out the best in me under difficult circumstances.
marion newman is the best mentor anyone can have as far as guiding me on professional conduct on shoots.
samanthas ability with people always inspires me.
all the geeks on here inspire me every time i log on.
i love to see anthony's work on here again & again.
my mate ruth who not only will make a fabulous teacher one day, but has shone in compititions after her reluctant start!
i count myself lucky to include these people among my friends as well as my mentors.
it also makes my heart sing to think that i can instill some of these things in some of you :Love:
liza x

What a wonderful thread.... I have read with tears at some lovely references to me. Not being a tek (anymore) I don't put myself in the mentor catagory but Fiona, Lell, Sassy et al thank you all so much!! I liked the lose,lose/win, win anaolgy... I hate negatives so always try to turn things around to a positive which is supposed to be good for your health too!!

My mentors would be Jan Arnold - Co Founder and Creative Director of CND - without her...I wouldn't be doing what I do! Jan is mesmerising and talks like she is reciting Vogue with nails rather than fashion... oh to be that eloquent in speech!!
My mum too, certainly for instilling that burning nail passion;
Samuel for being one of the fairest, honest and most moral people I know and love... personally I don't think I would be the person I am with out all of you... the nail technicians who make my world so interesting and thoughtful!!

I feel blessed to think that so many of you are warm friends!! I also admire Antonio who I have a warm and 'special' friendship with... I respect him and his talent immensly as I do Marian Newman who took nails to a different arena and WON big time!!! Finally, Sue Marsh and Ketan Patel... Sue is simply amazing and I miss her not being in the UK - kETAN because he came, he saw and he conquered!!

I thought I would list some industry greats for you all to mull over... some don't even do nails but have enabled our history of nails to evolve globally... in no particular order!!

Jan Arnold - Co-Founder CND
George Schaffer - Founder OPI
Vicky Peters - mentor to many
Barbara 'Griggsy' Barlow (perfect untouched Eclipse tip box nail - sculptress extraordinaire)
Tom Bachik - Champion
Patti Blanusa - Champion / teacher
Galena (Russian teacher - unbelievable)
Annette Claesson - bought nails to Sweden
Gigi Rouse - ex-distributor / teacher/ kick-ass technician
Marian Newman - author / brought nail talents to the attention of the consumer magazine and stylists
Sue Marsh - imagination knows no bounds -first for LFW
Jacqui Jefford - amazing airbrush artist / NVQ advocate - first for LFW
John Grace & Dave Simmons - Nail Trainer Inventors... what a gift
Tom Holcomb - Champion
Ketan Patel - the UK's first champion of nails
Alex Fox - passion knows no bounds
Mark Malony - including 'Nails' in his beauty exhibition shows... only to end up doing shows solely for nails!!!
Doug Schoon - the INVENTOR of all things fabulous for fingers & toes
Dr Stuart Nordstrom - Founder of CND... the first ever professional nail enhancement company
Elizabeth Anthony - US amazing airbrush artist... never carried enamel in her salon -airbrushed everyone and everything...
Samuel Sweet - nail event presenter ROCK STAR STYLE; teacher with wit!
Lena White - OPI - opening up OPI to the UK industry...
Carolyn Sears - Backscratchers in the UK... been around forever...
Ali Milner & Julie Day - Founders of first ever Nail trade mag... Nails+
Rosmary Ozieh - first ever UK Nails Only Show - Earls Court...

These people in their own unique way have pushed the industry somewhere different and have enabled it to evolve to become an industry now serving millions and enabling millions to actually DO something they love!

Not wishing to sound too mushy....but top of the list has to be 'GEEKDOM'!!!

Without this site and terrific people on it I would NOT be a practicing Nail Tech, the enthusiasm would have been knocked out of me and I would NO WAY have passed my Masters......and be aspiring to be a Grand Master one day in the not too distant future.

This is the one place you can ask for help .....and get it almost immediately.....sooooooo, Geeg........... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sad to say I don't really have a mentor as such, I only wish I did! Someone I could call on where I live when I have a problem, who could show me perhaps in the flesh and not just on paper. I really look to Gigi on this site to be my mentor cos I take everything I have learned from her on here as solid gold advice. I love her tutorials and have learned so much from them but it is still difficult sometimes to understand what's written without seeing it in practice. But thank you Gigi for doing what you do and for answering my questions either on here or if I privately email you

lell said:
Right my first mentor and the person who has helped me so much with her compassion and kindness is Samantha Sweet :Love:
Secondly would have to be my mate Ant B he is such a kind guy and always trys to help :Love:
Thirdly Gigi Rouse for her fantastic tutorials and wicked sense of humour :Love:

Nikki said:
Not wishing to sound too mushy....but top of the list has to be 'GEEKDOM'!!!

Without this site and terrific people on it I would NOT be a practicing Nail Tech, the enthusiasm would have been knocked out of me and I would NO WAY have passed my Masters......and be aspiring to be a Grand Master one day in the not too distant future.

This is the one place you can ask for help .....and get it almost immediately.....sooooooo, Geeg........... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

well said Nikki, I missed the real mentor of my life www.thenailgeek.com. I always turn here for help when I need it and someone always gives me the answer I need. You guys brought back the passion and determination that had slowly been waning in me, so a big thank you to every single Geek who has answered one of my posts or sent me pm's of support and help. To each and everyone of you, I owe you my career.

Totally agree this site is the best thing a Tech could want. I think any Tech that gives something back is due total respect. Anyone who values education, has passion and loves what they do. We all have mentored each other through this site but one women who I admire and would love to be like is .....................Geeg and I dont need to say a word more!

RedAdmiral said:
Totally agree this site is the best thing a Tech could want. I think any Tech that gives something back is due total respect. Anyone who values education, has passion and loves what they do. We all have mentored each other through this site but one women who I admire and would love to be like is .....................Geeg and I dont need to say a word more!

Could not agree more!

Ooh, I can't decide. I only know about all these wonderful people through what I've read rather than having seen them in action or met them.

I need someone that's would tell me straight so it's gotta be Geeg. I spent time in a salon with a tek who was really up front and outspoken. If she had time to spare, she march up to me and say "Come on, do my re-balance". She'd chat the whole time about her boyfriends but never took her eye off the ball. Just when I thought I'd got away with it, she's say "That's not right, do it again and do..............". Brilliant. Just the sort of training I like. Especially when I'm paying by the hour.

Anthony Buckley!

I had a nail done by him, he called it Ruby which by chance was my mother's middle name, he didn't know this at the time! The nail was fantastic, and I managed to clip the tip off completely when it grew and needed a rebalance (the nail was red with glitter tip and jewels, so I couldn't rebalance due to not having the products, I think there's still a piccy of it on my gallery!) I STILL GOT THAT TIP! SAD OR WOT!!!

Also, at the Nailympics, his model came close and I got a good look at the nails he'd applied, OMG they were soooo beautiful, I nearly cried! I WANNA DO NAILS LIKE THAT!!!

Also, I'd like to vote all the regular advisers on the Geek Boards as my mentors! I've learned so much from you all, I am 100% sure I'd have given up by now without your help.
To all of you:
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!:hug: :hug: :hug:

Well, I have four very special people to mention.

Top of my list is our wonderful Sassy Hassy, she has been a true friend to me and always helped when I have a problem, I look up to her, admire her and have the greatest respect for her. Can't believe the amount I have learn't from one little person, yes she is little ... lol!! I know I can email her at anytime and she will always be there, hope I will be able to return the favour one day!!!

Mrs Geek, for her great advice and for being a true inspiration to us all. She is fair and honest to everybody new or old (never felt left out once!) Always willing to help and has good heart. She was there for me at a very difficult time and it meant the world to me and still does!!

Geeg, would love to meet Geeg one day, just love the way she calls a spade a spade. You get no beating around the bush with this bird and that is someone I can highly respect and trust. The articles and tutorials are why I kept coming back this site at first.

GMG!!!! For starting this site!!! Need I say more!!!

God this thread is getting mushy hey??? :)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

my mentors.........hmm............anyone on this site who has taken the trouble to offer me very good advice

to name a few.......

little angel.....sassy.........lilly.......

also Marco....geeg........hell......any of the creative ambassadors !!!

Ambx

OMG I need a bigger room to fit my swelling head in lol! Rose you are so funny, the first thing you said when we met was "I never thought you'd be so small!!! ... oh and if you want to do me a favour, quit that ruddy job of yours and follow your heart!!

PS Thought I'd add to this as quite a few of you have mentioned my name now, and I am so touched by your kind comments, so thank you one and all ... cos you've helped me back more than you'll ever know. MWAH MWAH and MWAh again!

Sassy Hassy said:
OMG I need a bigger room to fit my swelling head in lol! Rose you are so funny, the first thing you said when we met was "I never thought you'd be so small!!! ... oh and if you want to do me a favour, quit that ruddy job of yours and follow your heart!!

Lol!!! Well, I didn't think I'd see the day that I would meet someone shorter than me!!! Petite is good ... I hear!!!

I will hun, handing the resignation in tomorrow!!! Even if the stupid cow is on holiday for the week!!! :)

xxxxx

Rose143 said:
I will hun, handing the resignation in tomorrow!!! Even if the stupid cow is on holiday for the week!!! :)xxxxx

rotf pmsl.....:hug:

No 1 It has got to be Christian Cesar. He is an artist

Latest posts

Back