Why didn't people show up to my open day?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tess walters

Reaction score
Pleae read and let me know what you think!

I live in a small town and I can draw from 4 high schools for prom. So I had a plan: Do a set of nails/ with nail art, and rock star toes on 2 girls from each school.
Then I made up invitations to a Hot Nail Art Party, and had the girls pass them out at school one week in advance.It was held on a Sunday because they are always doing sports on sat.
I set the hours from 11-6:00. I only had 3 girls show up all day!!!!!!!! I was disapointed in the turn out. But I did have 14 girls book apts. before the party. The 3 girls that came asked me if thier friends had showed up and I told them no. They were floored because they thought my nail art was the best in town! And they had never seen 3d flowers, etc. before.
Why do you think I had such a bad attendence?
Thanks, Tess

Last edited:
Great idea!

The only thing I can think of is, maybe a one week notice wasn't enough for some people. With everyone (even students) being so busy these days, maybe a two week notice would have made a difference. :)

I used to work in Business Development for a Ford Main dealer. We organised a Ladies Night in the showroom and boy was it hard work getting people to attend! We sent out thousands of invites and did loads of advertising for it too. We had to send out reminders and still phone people a few days before to make sure they were coming. I think we got around 200 people in the end, but if we hadn't have put in the hard work I think we may have gotten 2!!!!!

Think about it, how many times have you seen something advertised and thought you'd like to go ... but don't! you forget, or you think it will be a waste of time, or that so many others wil go it will be too busy, or you're just too shy to go on your own ... and so the list goes on!

Maybe since your focus was to teenage girls instead of woman from 25 upwards? Ofcourse i don,t know who you want as your customer but focusing in teenagers isn,t maybe the best thing to do since they often can,t afford it that well and don,t take aftercare etc...to seriously.

all of the above. plus if you had extended the visit to the mother of the daughter, that may have drawn a better crowd.

Maybe since your focus was to teenage girls instead of woman from 25 upwards? Ofcourse i don,t know who you want as your customer but focusing in teenagers isn,t maybe the best thing to do since they often can,t afford it that well and don,t take aftercare etc...to seriously.

Yeah but if it was for prom then they would usually make an extra effort. Plus, nail art isn't too much as you can really pick how much you spend. Sure teenagers have more money than me these days??? Lol.
Don't think there is a definite answer - teenagers are as unpredictable as they come. Try giving more notice and/or advertise the day in more ways to grab more attention. Special offers for prom nails???

Thanks ladies! I love this sight! It is so nice to get feed back when you need it!
I did get 14 new clients in for prom. but they won't be regulars.
I just wanted more people to see my shop so it would be enbedded in thier minds that this is the place to come!
But they did see the nails on the girls that were my models. So I can't complain.
Thanks, Tess

i suspect they will all be panicking as the prom date draws near and you will be fully booked and then some!

Those 14 new clients will be showing their nails to all their friends family teachers etc!! Think how many new clients you will get, what about giving the girls your number to store on their mobile so they can give it out if any one asks... :hug:

most girls book thier prom appointments months before, so maybe thats why you miss out on some of them. but 14 other appointments is good, word of mouth is good advertising.

it was a fab idea tho

xx

do you have any army or navy camps near you? they are good ones, they have functions all year round

Yeah but if it was for prom then they would usually make an extra effort. Plus, nail art isn't too much as you can really pick how much you spend. Sure teenagers have more money than me these days??? Lol.
Don't think there is a definite answer - teenagers are as unpredictable as they come. Try giving more notice and/or advertise the day in more ways to grab more attention. Special offers for prom nails???

pardon, i thought she was talking about nailenhancements...but after reading again i saw it was just concerning nailart. :lol:
I shouldn't post to early in the morning anymore

I think you should also try targeting more of an older age group, then you should get people who will spend the money regularly as they are more likely to have more of a disposable income.

It takes time to get known and to build up clients, keep at it hun and you will get there.

Good luck hun.

Awww, what a shame you didn't get more turning up for your open day. Don't be too downhearted, as you did get 14 clients booking after seeing your work on the other girls.

Those 14 new clients will be showing their nails to all their friends family teachers etc!! Think how many new clients you will get, what about giving the girls your number to store on their mobile so they can give it out if any one asks... :hug:

I totally agree, word will get around and I know its frustrating but it just takes time. Maybe do a special offer in your window too or advertise locally.

good luck

Hi. I get all the young girls in our area to pay a £5 booking fee. If they phone for an appointment I tell them I will pencil them in and they have 3 days to come in with their deposit. We have lots of young girls coming in my salon but most of them don't care that they miss an appointment which is why I put the deposit thing in place.
Sorry your open day didn't work out. I know how much hard work it is...
xxx

Latest posts

Back