Why do we spend hard earned £££'s with companies who treat us poorly?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs Geek

Sweet Heart
Premium Geek
Reaction score
The thread title says it all.

Customer Care / Service is something I value hugely. It's something we take a lot of pride in. We don't get it right always, but we try very hard to resolve problems and offer solutions and get it right 99.9% of the time.

So when there is so much choice out there, why would we ACTIVELY choose to part with hard earned £££'s on a company or companies who are rude, disrespectful, unhelpful and uncaring? Why????

I look forward to some answers.

I wish I knew but following this thread in the hope of answers! Really disappointed in the service I receive from some of my suppliers who promise the absolute world when trying to get you in their grip then deliver really shoddy service!

I wish I knew but following this thread in the hope of answers! Really disappointed in the service I receive from some of my suppliers who promise the absolute world when trying to get you in their grip then deliver really shoddy service!

I welcome honestly... It's the only way you learn and get better. Of course there are those that take the proverbial u-know-what, but you can tell them a mile off... Most people just want to do business in a positive way.

This may end up being good in the sense that some may actually say to themselves, you know what, I have no idea why I do... And I think I will stop... Find a supplier that appreciates my business...

I was once given the worst customer service from Laura Ashley (years ago) on a lamp return and I have never shopped with them since... Sad, but true.

Last edited:
I don't.
I just won't put up with impersonal, unhelpful suppliers.
I deal with people I know and trust. Sometimes there can be a hiccup, but that is the test of a good supplier as they are theones who will sort it out and make you feel your custom is valued.

I once was interested in a range of products and went to their Stand at a beauty show only to be ignored by their staff. 3 young students were picking polish colours and were being helped by 2 staff all very giggly and chatty, whilst I just stood being ignored. The students bought 3 polishes in the 3 for 2 offer 1 each for their personal use! I walked away. I had been prepared to spend a considerable amount of money on their gel polish range. This range now has a new distributor who I have found to be lovely and helpful whenever I have phoned them, so I did eventually get some of the product I wanted but it's nowhere near the business I would have given them a couple of years ago.

I walk into my main suppliers and I am always greeted by name, and no matter how busy they are I get asked if they can help me with anything. They regularly run Demo days which is a great chance to network with other techs and see what they are doing different from me. I am only a small business, but I know I get treated the same as a huge big salon, and that means a lot to me.

Same here I don't. I won't use them. I only deal with two companies for my nail supplied which is sweet squared and nail harmony. In my personal life I'm the same. One strike your out. I try and surround myself with positive people and products and if I get a bad experience with a company I never go back. However I know that places are only human and sometimes mistakes happen. For example there's a restaurant I love going to and they messed up my order, were so quick to correct it and got dessert on the house because of it. Its not just the product its self it's the people who deal with you that make all the difference xxx

Same here I don't. I won't use them. I only deal with two companies for my nail supplied which is sweet squared and nail harmony. In my personal life I'm the same. One strike your out. I try and surround myself with positive people and products and if I get a bad experience with a company I never go back. However I know that places are only human and sometimes mistakes happen. For example there's a restaurant I love going to and they messed up my order, were so quick to correct it and got dessert on the house because of it. Its not just the product its self it's the people who deal with you that make all the difference xxx

I was really looking forward to trying Gel II . I went on their website but could not find a Canadian distributor, so I emailed them. Their reply was completely rude, totally unprofessional, and riddled with spelling errors and text speak. Needless to say, I won't be giving Gel II my money.

I use several suppliers and all of them have amazing customer service to the point that I tell people.
Personally, I'm an extremely effective complainer and I think a company making a mistake is an opportunity for them to turn it around and show you how right they can get it. If they don't take that opportunity, more fool them.

I think ethics in business is good karma. If you say you're going to do something, do it. It's simple. If you can't, apologise and make it better.

If I had a shoddy supplier I would definitely go elsewhere but like @izzidoll says, my suppliers treat me with the same support and integrity as much bigger businesses.

Vic x

Funny how we all have different experiences. I have always found the Creative Beauty Group to be extremely friendly and helpful.

I've found the same when buying from Sweet Squared who recently swapped my faulty lamp after listening to it the phone without a single quibble.

I don't operate a one strike and you're out system. I appreciate we all have bad days and despite best intentions this can sometimes spill over into our work lives but I don't put up with repeated rudeness/incompetence.

I've got to an age too where I would rather pay a little more for great service rather than pay less for a service level that leaves me feeling deflated.

@Stook this is so true. I'm with one of the cheapest phone suppliers apparently. They are simply the worst company I have ever dealt with. Every time I make a change to my contract, like going Ltd last year, it's a whole new contract. I have about 8 months left and I'm out. I will go to BT who I have never had a problem with,although I'm sure others may say different. For my business, it has to be easy and if that means paying more, so be it.
I would also say that I have had excellent service from the creative beauty group!

Vic x

My bug bearer is companies/people who don't reply to emails! I hate it if I FB or email a question and am left hanging! It's something my clients always comment on - they appreciate the fact that I always get back to them quickly.
Maybe I'm just a grumpy old woman!!

I use all top end products and I find two of the companies in particular are the worst culprits for poor service and especially phone manner which is my biggest bug bearer as I'm originally from a customer service back ground and can't tolerate it!
I simply haven't found a product in either area that beats what I'm using so I put up with it! Luckily one of said companies have a sub distributor who I now use unless they don't have stock but on the most part they do so it has limited contact.

I think the same can be said about training providers, I trained with a company I found through Salon Geek the training itself was good but the trainer and company left a lot to be desired and I came away feeling I'd wasted my money which isn't a nice way to feel when you're all excitable about your new venture. This said company on TWO occasions had the chance to put things right but still chose not too! Lesson learnt.

I'll be the first to say i have made some expensive mistakes! I thought i knew better. i learnt my lesson big time. I have been one of those that have bought off fleabay, i have mixed and matched i have not listened to my manufactures instructions. This was all before i found salongeek!!! All in all i have learnt a very expensive lesson. The suppliers were cheap and i was a bit like "oh i dont need to use the expensive stuff its all about profit margins". The items broke quickly, i didn't really think i had any consumer rights as some of the items were from aboard and i didn't want to be a nuisance complaining. I also had complaints attached to these items, which made my professional opinion less valid as any old old joe bloggs could get it. So i researched online and viola the rest is history, (plus i did get a ear ache of my mother who kept telling me i was wrong!):mad::mad::mad:

Knowing what i know now and researching what i do if its a fad or if its a long term innovating thing i want to see longevity. I recently had gotten upset when one of my independent lash suppliers closed up shop, i had spent years finding a odour free glue that was sensitive for my clients! Its back to the drawing board and trialing out glues again.

I look forward to exhibitions as i like to see how they interact and how well knowledgeable they are. (honestly im not high maintenance or a nightmare client waiting for people to trip up, i'm just cautious parting with my well earned cash). This year i went to the stands that have earned my respect. I don't like slandering companies but i did go in with an open mind to the fab reviews some products are given. I don't want to part my cash on moody sales people, or people that just overlook you. It makes me feel like julia roberts pretty lady moment! Impressions count as well as customer appreciation. My word of caution for advice is to always go striaght to the supplier rather than the chain of suppliers, you will still get quailty & will save more money.:) xoxo

I guess that if someone really liked the product they may grudgingly put up with bad service. On the other hand you can get great customer service and they talk the talk but they don't walk the walk.

For example, I said to o2 recently, when I complained 'The thing is you're all lovely people at o2.........every single person that I speak to when I have to complain is lovely........but lovely don't always cut it.'

You have to have a great product AND great customer service in my opinion.

The thread title says it all.

Customer Care / Service is something I value hugely. It's something we take a lot of pride in. We don't get it right always, but we try very hard to resolve problems and offer solutions and get it right 99.9% of the time.

So when there is so much choice out there, why would we ACTIVELY choose to part with hard earned £££'s on a company or companies who are rude, disrespectful, unhelpful and uncaring? Why????

I look forward to some answers.
I am doing a course at the moment with 2 mentors - emailed them both last week for feedback on a market research questionnaire and haven't heard a thing yet a week later - what's the point of being a mentor if you don't do it?

I've crossed swords with a few companies in my time (as you can imagine ;) I have a knack for saying it how it is :) ) the worst being sky, I did have to put that in my partners name tho because they asked me very politely not to do business with them again, I prefer it tho coz I don't have to speak to them any more. We have an industry supplier or 2 locally in South Wales that are awful! One company rep had a total bitch fit strop because I diddnt want to buy into thousands of pounds deal & the other I litterally cannot stand the staff! I use a small independant one instead now & they give the most wonderful service! I'd never give my money to the others, I also deal with a larger brand too now and their customer service is amazing it makes you feel valued I think :)

Latest posts

Back