Why is my acrylic not setting????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cath Dunbar

Reaction score
Im just starting out with acrylic. I'm getting my bead which looks fine to me and getting better each time but it doesn't seem to be hardening on the nail. i'm leaving it on the nail for seconds before moulding but obviously i'm going wrong somewhere.
Can someone help??????????????

Just a sugggestion..............
Maybe you're working 'too wet' and although the bead looks Ok to you, if you're patting it a lot then monomer from the belly of the brush will soften it more and upset the ratio somewhat.

Thanks i'll give it a go. I was thinking it was prob too wet.
ARRRGH I'll get there.lol I find gel so much easier but acrylic looks so much better.
Thanks alot

Who did you train with hun, or who are you training with at the moment ?

Well i did train 15 years ago when i first went to college lol but i didnt carry on with it nor the profession back then. Just re done my man and ped course and going to go back and do a course with Carlton institute in Windsor. Was getting my stuff out which is newer than 15 years old of course and having a practise. I always carried on doing Gel but just for close friends and family. I do prefere the look of acrylic tho so am trying to master it so i can pic up my cert with them. It's only a day course as i do know how to apply it just isn't getting along with me at all.
Any tips would be great.

i bought some acrylic and it just does not set i think it was cheap.. what products are u using ?? x

I'm using the edge

I was giving it another try on my finger last night. It was a lil better but still not setting right. Did try and get it dryer but still not great. I'm sure this is the problem tho so thanks for pointing it out. Maybe it's my brush too. I dunno really as i'm not used to acrylic.

Are you using the flag of your brush hun or the belly? I know in the past when I have used the belly it releases more monomer and made my beads mix ratio more messed up than it was to start with! Make sure you are using the flag of the brush.

Yeah am using the flags then the belly to mould. I'm thinking i'm just not drawing out enough monomer before dipping into powder. Or maybe im going a little deeper into the monomer than needed.

has your weather changed at all? our humidity changes here several times a day(from reaaalllly high to low) and screws with my beads; its really frustrating.:(

At the mo yeah it's a bit all over the place. Not too bad tho. I didnt think that would have an effect. Well ya learn somethin new everyday lol

if your hands are usually cold, it may also cause that...

This thread could go on with all the guesses....too wet mix ratio......humidity....cold hands.
When basically the answer is you have no training in how to use your products and you need to get some pronto!!:)
It really is as simple as that.

Training 15 years ago.....for the Nail Industry that was like the Dark Ages!!!:eek:

Even just 10 years ago I was taught to etch the nail with a rough abrasive and mix ratio was never mentioned, just pick up a bead and then pat and wipe until you had covered the nail. No structure, mentioned. I was also not taught any filing techniques, and would just file until I got a smooth surface, again no finished structure mentioned.

Possibly your college training has given you some knowledge of nail anatomy and Health & Safety issues. So you maybe don't need to do a beginners course maybe a 1 or 2 day refresher, but you do need to do something, and not just 'wing it' on the basis you did a course 15 years ago.

Products have improved so much, and the emphasis now is on the health of the natural nail (as it should be)

Education in nail enhancements has come a long way in the last 10 years, and the best nail technicians are constantly updating their skills and IMHO everyone should attend a training course at least once a year in order to keep up to date with products and techniques.

I hope this hasn't come across as harsh, I just wanted to be honest.

The practicalities are, you can ask as many questions on here as you like, but we all use different products and have different techniques in relation to those products. You need to pick a product company and get some training direct from them. Then this site will become of great use to you as you can be more specific with your questions, and likewise geeks with the answers.

Best of luck.

i read your thread when you said you use the edge thats your problem i use the edge and find the same thing some of the ladies on here advised me to trian with creative or ezflow which i am going to do as all the other brands are just not as good and always have problems im in agreement with you gel is a lot earlyer but acrylics do look nicer

izzidoll i am getting training again but while i'm waiting to go on my course again i'm just picking up my things and just having a go is all. I have done my friends nails last year who is also nail tech and they were fine. I think it must be a mixture of a few things. And thanks trudi9 for your comment. Think i'll try using a different brand if you have the same problem.

This has happened to me and I've asked and asked and asked!!! Everyone told me the same....ratio wrong....wrong prep etc etc. Do you know what I actually found it was??!! I soaked my brush so it was SUPER clean and that really helped..even though it look clean previously. Also I was using an NSI Liquid with Mercia powder and they just didnt go! Its as simple as that. I was getting upset and frustrated as Im only learning too. I went out and bought Star Nails UV Liquid and Powder...works a treat! If you go to Sally Supplies the girls in there are lovely and can give you advice too x emma x:lol:

This has happened to me and I've asked and asked and asked!!! Everyone told me the same....ratio wrong....wrong prep etc etc. Do you know what I actually found it was??!! I soaked my brush so it was SUPER clean and that really helped..even though it look clean previously. Also I was using an NSI Liquid with Mercia powder and they just didnt go! Its as simple as that. I was getting upset and frustrated as Im only learning too. I went out and bought Star Nails UV Liquid and Powder...works a treat! If you go to Sally Supplies the girls in there are lovely and can give you advice too x emma x:lol:

Mixing products like this is asking for trouble - liquids and powders are formulated to work together, simple as that. If you mix your products you risk:

Product under-curing
Over-exposure for you or your client
Full-blown allergic reation

Also, your insurance will be invalid (you are working outside of manufacturers recommendations) and your manufacturer wont support you either.

Work with products from the same manufacturer, it's never worth the risk not to.

has your weather changed at all? our humidity changes here several times a day(from reaaalllly high to low) and screws with my beads; its really frustrating.:(

So good to know! Why does the humidity affect the beads so much? Certainly it doesn't change the mix ratio... And if the mix ratio remains the same, how do I control a bead that looks too wet? I suppose it will become second-nature eventually... I've recently moved from Denver, CO to Liverpool, England and have had lifting really badly since then. I am blaming it on the humidity because I didn't have this problem back home. =P

Oh, AND our salon is ALWAYS hellishly hot due to hair dryers, no air conditioning and sitting way in the back of the salon. That can't be good, either, right?

*smooches for this thread*

Last edited:
Hi,
I use creative and My mother inlaw thought she was doing the right things and bough me some colored powders off ebay... no name just in pots.. Some did not set..even over night.. and others set rock hard in sec and I had to efile them off.... I think it is wise to choose a top quality product and get training direct from them..
There are creative educators.. you just need to contact the local supplier and they will give you their numbers.... cheap leeds to nasty cheap nails.
Good on you for getting back into the nail world.
X Mel

Latest posts

Back