Why me? I'm so stressed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I agree that you need managment help ,
I also understand it may seem harsh but... persianista is giving you some sound business advice :hug:

I also realize you are heavily pregnant and have a lovely little baby on the way :hug: which really is all the more reason you need to take someone on as a manager who can run things for you and can bring in the clientele you will need to stay open,

at this present moment you are running on a wing and a prayer , and it may be feeling like it's make or break time, :cry:
plus really you are in no fit state to be worrying all the time like this... as you have your little baby soon to be born to think about too :hug:

perhaps it would be better to think about cutting your losses and selling up
as you dont want to be making yourself ill as nothing is worth risking yours or the babys health .....

but if this isnt possible.... then there is a fab oporutunity there for someone to run it for you!..

but you will be in need of someone with many more years of experience preferably with managment skills in the hairdressing industry and someone who who knows the ropes back to front about how to run a hairdressing and beauty
and possibly bring all their own customers in too as well
there are many experienced stylists who simply don't want to own a business,
but.... would love this managerial position

I have a friend who is a stylist manageress who has run a very successful salon for many years for two men , so it can be done ,

I think the best advice I was ever given was to run a salon like a Ship and like a Ship you have ranks , with you being the Captain
then you will have an your first officer, then the crewe ect... will have their certain job roles according to how much training and experience they have,

you need to be able rely upon someone who can manage a salon network and instruct others for you ,
A ship still has to sail if the Captain is present or not...

and just like a ship your your salon must keep running well wether you are present or not...
and your experienced manager/ stylist will be in command of the crew
and if you can get this system up and running you will find it way easier
and less stressful for yourself at this time :hug: x minky

Hiya. I been slated on here for saying this, but you need a bloody good, super experienced stylist/ star stylist/ manager. Please stop sodding around with young inexperienced hairdressers. they cause you more grief than they make you money!
I have been through the experiences that you are going through now and many more besides. Get someone with at least ten years experince and a cheerful disposition. will make the world of difference

yeah well you definetely learn and im glad im learning so early as every industry is different
my main stylist is great has got us a few people and has about 14 years experience.

so il leave the the newbies to alot later.

this week has picked up for us luckily and has been through word of mouth

but i think as i said before it is possible to find a star stylist so im looking as i think its a good idea.

for now im not hiring another stylist this week was our busiest week and we managed with one person down.
so this means i can wait until i find the person im looking for and now i have a much better idea.

Last edited:
Hi, I agree that you need managment help ,
I also understand it may seem harsh but... persianista is giving you some sound business advice :hug:

I also realize you are heavily pregnant and have a lovely little baby on the way :hug: which really is all the more reason you need to take someone on as a manager who can run things for you and can bring in the clientele you will need to stay open,

at this present moment you are running on a wing and a prayer , and it may be feeling like it's make or break time, :cry:
plus really you are in no fit state to be worrying all the time like this... as you have your little baby soon to be born to think about too :hug:

perhaps it would be better to think about cutting your losses and selling up
as you dont want to be making yourself ill as nothing is worth risking yours or the babys health .....

but if this isnt possible.... then there is a fab oporutunity there for someone to run it for you!..

but you will be in need of someone with many more years of experience preferably with managment skills in the hairdressing industry and someone who who knows the ropes back to front about how to run a hairdressing and beauty
and possibly bring all their own customers in too as well
there are many experienced stylists who simply don't want to own a business,
but.... would love this managerial position

I have a friend who is a stylist manageress who has run a very successful salon for many years for two men , so it can be done ,

I think the best advice I was ever given was to run a salon like a Ship and like a Ship you have ranks , with you being the Captain
then you will have an your first officer, then the crewe ect... will have their certain job roles according to how much training and experience they have,

you need to be able rely upon someone who can manage a salon network and instruct others for you ,
A ship still has to sail if the Captain is present or not...

and just like a ship your your salon must keep running well wether you are present or not...
and your experienced manager/ stylist will be in command of the crew
and if you can get this system up and running you will find it way easier
and less stressful for yourself at this time :hug: x minky

persianista suugestion for a star stylist is abit different to putting a manager in for me probably more ideal for someone who wants to not be there in control as much and let someone run it from them. which is not good for a control freak like me who needs to know everything and anything :eek:..
but that is my goal to be able to trust and leave in the hands of someone to run it eventually but not this soon..

not considering selling after 3 weeks way too soon :) but i do know i wont be able to go in everyday after oct for a while so i will put a temp manager in possibly or see how my main stylist is as she could possibly supervise for a few weeks.

i think my 'mistake' stylist was trying to pull a fast one and il just see what happens.

i just found a great manager for my other business so ive been able to relax abit and focus more on this but that one has been around for 5 years. you dont realize how hard it is if its your first time or its been a while since you've done it. :eek:

Last edited:
you need a bloody good, super experienced stylist/ star stylist/ manager.
Get someone with at least ten years experince and a cheerful disposition. will make the world of difference

i just found a great manager for my other business so ive been able to relax abit and focus more on this but that one has been around for 5 years.

Hi, an experienced stylist / manager as mentioned above.....
will usually have their own loyal clientele and cover their own wages,
they are paid to help you manage the hairdressing side of things thats all , not to take over,
but as you already have an up and running business being managed by someone else , I am sure you don't need any more advice in this department,
so good luck anyways :hug: x minky

Last edited:
You don't owe this girl anything - stop being nice to this one and dig your heels in and except her 'stealing' as her wages paid!

I agree with Persianista and Minky: you need someone experienced and trustworthy to run your salon, and now is possibly the worst time imaginable to be setting up a new venture.
You're stressed because of the body's innate defence mechanism to protect your baby, so I doubt you'll be making sensible decisions, and therefore you will be attracting people happy to exploit you. Hell, I've worked with some of the most experienced senior IT programme managers, and without exception their brains turn to scrambled egg during their pregnancies!
You mention another business; I'd have thought that was enough to be going on with until you're back at work after the birth!
Regarding the situation with the stylist. When they start work there is nothing to stop you issuing a letter of engagement, with your Ts and Cs. It doesn't need to be a contract per se, but it is at least something in writing, stating about trial periods, theft/sickness/absence policy. When I worked in corporate land the very first morning of my employment was taken up with all the legal sh!t; you weren't even allowed into the office area until you'd seen HR and signed a contract.
The health and beauty industry could do worse than emulate such practices.

You don't owe this girl anything - stop being nice to this one and dig your heels in and except her 'stealing' as her wages paid!

ive told her that she wont be getting anything from me now as she declined my offer anyway..

i assume she was only texting as she didnt have the nerves to speak oon the telephone even.
i was really stressed on the day tbh as couldnt believe the nerves on her :eek:

but now ive had time ti think more about it and realize she doesnt have any thing to do what she is trying to do and very much doubt she will now ive thought about it. i also have witnesses to how long she has worked etc.

she was obviously tryoing to see what id say as hsnt contacted me since... chances of her coming down is probably slim i reckon as she knows my partner is often there and wouldnt want to come down and they are there.

she is a silly little girl and jobs arent that easy to find at the moment

If you are worried then beat her at her own game.

The solicitors that you used for the salon opening etc ask them if they know of a solicitor (if they dont have one) who will see you for a fixed fee consultation for say £20
This will give you the knowledge of what you can do and what she cant do. Make a diary of events, save all texts and any paperwork on her and take it all with you and her address.
You could have the solicitor write her a warning letter (she will sh*t herself!) then she knows you are in control.

Good luck with your baby and your salon xx

Please dont give the scumbag stlist another thought. You learnt a very valuable lesson for a measly £200. Calla's idea of a trial contract is a good one if you don't feel tough enough to control new staff on trial.
I have managers in my salons. Great hairdressers who are happy to take a bit of responsibility but not the full ownership thing. They are my eyes and ears. One of them was my junior about 15 years ago!!
They run my salons, but work alongside me. I trust them because they have earn't my trust. I rely on them a huge amount (I cant be everywhere at once).
Nothing, and nobody can detract from the fact that I own the salons. The buck stops with me. As a fellow control freak, I understand how tough it is to accept that someone else can look after your salon, but they can, and they can help you, and free you. x

i take it you have more then one salon thats great..
its a small salon would only be 3 staff maiximum at one time. which makes it easier. i knew i didnt want to take on bigger salon first time around.

we wouldnt put i a manager in as we dont really need one right now as we both do diiferent days and share responsibility.
but out if my two sylist i have one with abit more trust who has abit more responsibilty in the salon if i go out etc.
but this is after 3 weeks but later down the line id love to not be able to go in as much etc and for it to be staff run.
in a year or so im sure it will get to the time i feel like i need more time away from the salon.

we dont really need another stylist at the moment as one has taken more hours which is why i havent taken another person on.

If you are worried then beat her at her own game.

The solicitors that you used for the salon opening etc ask them if they know of a solicitor (if they dont have one) who will see you for a fixed fee consultation for say £20
This will give you the knowledge of what you can do and what she cant do. Make a diary of events, save all texts and any paperwork on her and take it all with you and her address.
You could have the solicitor write her a warning letter (she will sh*t herself!) then she knows you are in control.

Good luck with your baby and your salon xx

:) great idea.. ive got her text saved but as ive not heard anything since i dont think i will now..
Im a nice person but i aint a walk over. which she knows from when she was there with me.
so i knew she woudnt come down but send someone more likely.
but now i think thats unlikely too.
but definetely a good idea something il keep in mind..:)

and thanks cant wait to oct:hug:

When you have your baby your gonna need people around you that you trust to open and close your salon and look after the clients. If you feel that the staff you currently have are able to do that for you then thats pretty much cracked your problem.
I can appreciate that as I have a few salons, that my problems are quite far removed from yours, but I did start my first salon once, on a shoestring and with all the steep learning curves. I lived to tell the tale!

its abit too soon to say i trust them tbh.. but il see when it come to then but i cant say i really do as not known them for long enough i reckon..

but my partner will carry on and open etc even which is what we planned before taking it on. as we wernt sure we would trust to leave someone there due to the short time of opening and me taking time away.
so he's started going in more now as hel be there most of the time come oct...

Latest posts

Back