Why not Bluesky?

• Thread starter Cheshire Nail Beauty
  • Start date
SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't take it personally - a lot are quite CND happy on here. Other brands simply do not count as I have seen.

Yep. I won't get left behind if the market is changing!

There are lots of pro brands being used happily on here, not just CND. [emoji4]

I think bearing in mind the amount of negative feeling there is surrounding bluesky, it makes me wonder what it is that is drawing you so much towards it. If the difference in cost is only pence per service, why would anyone go for the questionable product line rather than pro only lines with fab reputations?

And that is exactly the point bluesky have made xxx

It is, I only saw it later. I just saw the comment somebody made about animal testing in China and commented straight away without finishing the thread. I was really shocked by the products that are sold in China but manufactured else were and therefor tested on animals. They are high end products that people trust and that state they are not tested on animals. It's shocking! Good luck making your decision, I think that some people have been really unfair to you for asking a question on an open forum x

There are lots of pro brands being used happily on here, not just CND. [emoji4]

I think bearing in mind the amount of negative feeling there is surrounding bluesky, it makes me wonder what it is that is drawing you so much towards it. If the difference in cost is only pence per service, why would anyone go for the questionable product line rather than pro only lines with fab reputations?

I recently posted on here about shellac not Being great coverage over gel sculpts. No body Replied ....hmmmmmm ..... hence now I am looking at other products that might give the coverage. I know I'm not the only one that's found this to be an issue.

It is, I only saw it later. I just saw the comment somebody made about animal testing in China and commented straight away without finishing the thread. I was really shocked by the products that are sold in China but manufactured else were and therefor tested on animals. They are high end products that people trust and that state they are not tested on animals. It's shocking! Good luck making your decision, I think that some people have been really unfair to you for asking a question on an open forum x

Yep... I wonder if they are so thorough in their research in the ethical production of all of the other products used.... cuticle remover, sanitiser, cleanse, hand creams, the list goes on. When the reality is that the products that are tested on animals are those manufactured in the west and sold to the east... not the other way round. Yet I am the one being told to do my research...

Yep. I won't get left behind if the market is changing!

Keeping up with a changing market is one thing, devaluing and lowering the standards of our industry is another thing entirely! God help us all if Bluesky is the way "the market is changing!"

I want to address just one point made in the statement from Bluesky because I see it as an example of their willingness to confuse and to use that confusion to hide their dishonesty. This is the statement:
"2 - Shellac is a naturally occurring material, not a copyrighted brand or trademark, so it can be used in a name. From Wikipedia - "Shellac is scraped from the bark of the trees where the female lac bug, Kerria lacca (Order Hemiptera, Family Kerriidae), also known as Laccifer lacca, secretes it to form a tunnel-like tube as it traverses the branches of the tree.""

The bold face in the statement is simply unttrue. The truth is that shellac (small s) is a naturally occurring material, however, Shellac (capital S) is a copyrighted brand and trademark and in the context of cosmetics can only be used by CND. The copyright has been upheld and non-CND products using that name have been seized and destroyed. The registration of the trademark can be confirmed at trademark, Justia, and many other online resources - http://www.trademarkencyclopedia.com/shellac/.

Bluesky is using the confusion over shellac and Shellac to avoid engaging the issue of their violation of intellection property rights and using the graphic identity of another brand. I am not a CND person. My concern about Bluesky comes not from a protective impulse towards CND, but a desire to maintain the ethics of my profession.

Keeping up with a changing market is one thing, devaluing and lowering the standards of our industry is another thing entirely! God help us all if Bluesky is the way "the market is changing!"

We are all business women and make the business choice according to our own instinct and interpretation of the market, clients, industry as a whole... I don't want to devalue or Lower standards, my standards will always be high but the products may change over time. Markets change.

I want to address just one point made in the statement from Bluesky because I see it as an example of their willingness to confuse and to use that confusion to hide their dishonesty. This is the statement:
"2 - Shellac is a naturally occurring material, not a copyrighted brand or trademark, so it can be used in a name. From Wikipedia - "Shellac is scraped from the bark of the trees where the female lac bug, Kerria lacca (Order Hemiptera, Family Kerriidae), also known as Laccifer lacca, secretes it to form a tunnel-like tube as it traverses the branches of the tree.""

The bold face in the statement is simply unttrue. The truth is that shellac (small s) is a naturally occurring material, however, Shellac (capital S) is a copyrighted brand and trademark and in the context of cosmetics can only be used by CND. The copyright has been upheld and non-CND products using that name have been seized and destroyed. The registration of the trademark can be confirmed at trademark, Justia, and many other online resources - http://www.trademarkencyclopedia.com/shellac/.

Bluesky is using the confusion over shellac and Shellac to avoid engaging the issue of their violation of intellection property rights and using the graphic identity of another brand. I am not a CND person. My concern about Bluesky comes not from a protective impulse towards CND, but a desire to maintain the ethics of my profession.

From the text quoted "Shellac" has been the first word of the sentence so would naturally be a capital S....

I'm not sure if they have quoted Shellac anywhere else. I'm not purposely going out of my way to defend bluesky, but I feel there is an argument to be had for it and that at times users are clutching at straws in fear of market development and signs of things changing.

Personally, I will only ever offer professional only brands. In a market that is flooded with adverts for people offering gel polish manicures for £10 a time, I need to be able to stand behind my products and believe they are the best I can offer. I feel if I offered a gel I can buy anywhere (As well as everyone else), im devaluing myself, my standards and the industry I've chosen to work in.

We are all business women and make the business choice according to our own instinct and interpretation of the market, clients, industry as a whole... I don't want to devalue or Lower standards, my standards will always be high but the products may change over time. Markets change.
Yes, professionalism means different things to different people, techs and clients alike. To me, choosing a counterfeit brand to represent my business, isn't a decision I'm satisfied with. What is it about Bluesky that you feel makes them an industry leader?

From the text quoted "Shellac" has been the first word of the sentence so would naturally be a capital S....

I'm not sure if they have quoted Shellac anywhere else. I'm not purposely going out of my way to defend bluesky, but I feel there is an argument to be had for it and that at times users are clutching at straws in fear of market development and signs of things changing.

But therein lies my point. Bluesy uses the confusion between Shellac and shellac to obfuscate on their use of another brand's trademarked name and graphic identity. Their answer on animal testing is similarly obtuse, because although the company is not required to or does not do animal testing, the Chinese government does test their product on animals. The other issue around Bluesky is that in addition to being a counterfeit product, it is a product that skims off the most profitable segment of the industry and provides no training, education, support, associated products, does not advertise in professional media, and makes itself available to everyone.

It isn't reasonable for you to come onto a professional forum, announce that you're considering using a non-professional (and even counterfeit) brand, and expect everyone to simply accept that. An important purpose of a forum like this is to uphold professional standards - it is how we grow as individuals and as a profession. Look, if you want to use Bluesky, you have every right to do so. It is your business and your decision. But it is a decision you should take very seriously. We rise and fall only as our profession does and a product that undermines the profession is a problem for you as well as other nail techs.

Animal testing
Main reason I won't use it.
But then again not everyone I have deactivated actually likes animals , so for me it is a moral issue.
They don't test on animals darling.

I think it's safe to say that the questions in this thread have been asked and answered, so I am going to close it here for everyone to draw their own conclusions on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back