Why not Bluesky?

• Thread starter Cheshire Nail Beauty
  • Start date
SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't spend my life on this website so I'd no idea that blue sky was such a touchy subject. Yes I read other threads but stopped when I read "bluesky... no one can help you here"

Basic netiquette (a link to the BBC article for those who are unaware http://www.bbc.co.uk/webwise/guides/about-netiquette) says 'do your own homework' - there is a very good search option on this site which opens up a world of information. You didn't need any specific search terms other than 'bluesky' and would have seen everything you needed to know.

I've avoided answering this thread as I knew exactly where it would go, and how it would end, and virtually word for word the accusations that would start being thrown around. You may not like the answers you are being given, but that doesn't mean you are being belittled or anyone has been bitchy. However, had you have taken the time to do your 'own homework' then none of it would have happened at all, its a little unfair to come here, ask a question that provokes tension without doing any research, then complain about the replies you get.

Asking the question on places like Instragram may get the replies you want, but be sure the people you are asking are the right people. We may not be perfect here, but we have one thing in common....on the whole we are well trained, experienced techs who are passionate about our skills, our profession and our clients and as such not afraid to stand up for those standards.

When deciding on a new brand for the salon, I totally agree with thoroughly researching everything (pros and cons) and also for asking opinions from existing/former users and other fellow professionals. I accept that sometimes, their opinion may not be the same as mine, as is the way of the world.

Personally I wouldn't touch bluesky with someone else's bargepole for the many reasons that I have listed below. I charge decent prices and my clients expect a top notch service and quality products and BS, for my business, doesn't even begin to touch that. Good reputations, as you will know from your 17 years experience, are hard won - unfortunately, they are lost just as easily in this increasingly litigious world. When we decide on brands, we must choose to protect our own businesses as well as our clients.

Cons:
  • Testing on animals - the UK seller won't test on animals because we don't allow it; but it is illegal in China, where BS in manufactured, to NOT test on animals.
  • Despite the apparently cheap buy-in, the actual difference in CPS is negligible
  • Not a pro-only brand. I wouldn't go to a hair salon using pantene either; both are too easily available. Which is why I only use professional-only products in the salon. I trained with Dermalogica at college, but I wouldn't touch them now.
  • Products may cause reactions. Who wants to think "I may give my client an allergic reaction, but I saved a whole 30p on her service!" every time they do a service?
  • Lack of ongoing support and education. This was very important to me in choosing my brand.
  • They launched themselves as a copycat brand with the exact same bottle-style, colours, colour names as real, top brands. This resulted in confusing the general public. Underhand tactics that I wouldn't support with my business.
  • Do they recommend a lamp that they have spent much time and money researching, therefore are ensuring a proper cure of the product? I may be wrong, but I haven't heard of this.
  • Pro brands spend time and effort getting their brands noticed. They also win awards in consumer magazines, which helps keep the brand in the forefront of the consumers' minds.
  • Actually, can you get/use your insurance without using a pro brand?
Pros:
  • I haven't seen for myself, but you say there is a good colour range. I have found that my clients are sometimes overwhelmed by the colour choice that I have within my current range, but this is a good selling point for some.
  • Cheap to buy in entire range. It is expensive to get started in this business... if it weren't, everyone and their dog could start up.
  • Easy to get your hands on. But then, so can your clients.

From the tone of your posts, I reckon you will buy it in - especially as you've now asked 'professional bluesky users' what they think of the product. Obviously, if they think it's acceptable for their business, they're going to recommend that you do use it - and that's fair enough. It's your prerogative - your business, and your clients. But I wouldn't have it in my salon :)

I've personally used bluesky for years and never had a problem clients have always loved it good quality hard wearing strong colours and great variety clients are happy to pay me the same price that other locals techs charge for a more expensive brand it's not just the name on the bottle that counts it's how you use it! Good application good service is just as important as brand and I've never had any client react badly or have damage. When I visited Olympia trade show back in September they had rebranded the bottles they looked fab very professional and were selling like hot cakes far faster than any other brand around them people couldn't get enough of it! Yes you can buy it urself and yes you could do it cheaper but could you give urself the same finish the same art the pigments gems perfection ...... No! surely it's about the full experience you receive from ur treatment I've used other brands cnd orly Ibd but bluesky wins for me every time

Reading through, it seems like you're just looking for justification to use bluesky rather than asking for opinions of the negatives, you're defending a brand that you say you've hardly used so it seems like you've made your mind up to use it, which is entirely your choice, but you can't get upset when you ask for negatives and find out there are A LOT of them.

Basic netiquette (a link to the BBC article for those who are unaware http://www.bbc.co.uk/webwise/guides/about-netiquette) says 'do your own homework' - there is a very good search option on this site which opens up a world of information. You didn't need any specific search terms other than 'bluesky' and would have seen everything you needed to know.

I've avoided answering this thread as I knew exactly where it would go, and how it would end, and virtually word for word the accusations that would start being thrown around. You may not like the answers you are being given, but that doesn't mean you are being belittled or anyone has been bitchy. However, had you have taken the time to do your 'own homework' then none of it would have happened at all, its a little unfair to come here, ask a question that provokes tension without doing any research, then complain about the replies you get.

Asking the question on places like Instragram may get the replies you want, but be sure the people you are asking are the right people. We may not be perfect here, but we have one thing in common....on the whole we are well trained, experienced techs who are passionate about our skills, our profession and our clients and as such not afraid to stand up for those standards.

Whys it ok for everyone else to post questions about other subjects? I thought the forum was for help and information. I've never heard of that website and so I came directly to salon geek as I thought that was its purpose..... this thread is just crazy in so many ways, I can't believe it.

Reading through, it seems like you're just looking for justification to use bluesky rather than asking for opinions of the negatives, you're defending a brand that you say you've hardly used so it seems like you've made your mind up to use it, which is entirely your choice, but you can't get upset when you ask for negatives and find out there are A LOT of them.

I'm not defending I'm just trging to put into context some of the negatives that are being said.

Here is the reply from bluesky:

Hi,

Thanks for your email.

Firstly just to clarify, we are one of the 4 or 5 official importers and retailers of Bluesky - we are not the Bluesky factory - they only produce and sell through distributors. If you wanted more detailed answers you could contact Bessie there via their website but I can certainly address a few of the issues raised.
So over the last few years we have seen various threads and forums where Bluesky is accused of a fairly wide variety of things, most of which was covered in the thread you linked to. We have generally found that much of it was from people who were tied in to other brands, and seemed disgruntled that Bluesky was gaining market share. Its understandable that a cheaper brand which is doing well could be seen as undermining the market position of other brands and maybe perceived as somehow threatening their livelihood.
To address a few specifics -
1 - Of course we ourselves do not treat anything on animals, we only sell cosmetics. However, I see that people have suggested that this is disingenuous and is simply a way of sellers absolving themselves from the question - but as a vegetarian myself I take this issue seriously and have written confirmation from Bessie at the factory that no animal products are used in the manufacturing, and that no animal testing takes place with Bluesky. If you check around on Google you will find that European or American products being imported and sold IN China are required to bet animal tested. This means that many of our favourite high street brands are complicit in this by selling to China for Chinese use. However products they are made and exported WITHOUT sale in China (like Bluesky) are not required to be animal tested. Have a look here for example - http://www.crueltyfreekitty.com/cruelty-free-101/animal-testing-china/
2 - Shellac is a naturally occurring material, not a copyrighted brand or trademark, so it can be used in a name. From Wikipedia - "Shellac is scraped from the bark of the trees where the female lac bug, Kerria lacca (Order Hemiptera, Family Kerriidae), also known as Laccifer lacca, secretes it to form a tunnel-like tube as it traverses the branches of the tree."
3 - We have never had a single report of burns, allergies or any other adverse reaction from our customers in 3 or 4 years of selling Bluesky.
4 - Bluesky has MSDS sheets and official EU and UK safety certificates which you can see hat the link below. I saw some people even casting doubt on the validity of these, but of course feel free to contact the governing bodies you see there to verify. - http://www.blueskynails.com/information/msds/?___store=blueskynails
5 - Naturally some people will just not like the product. It is cheaper than some of the larger brands, and is positioned in the market accordingly They don’t offer a full training service and their website is fairly basic - one of the posters said they view it much the same as a supermarkets own brand or suchlike, which in truth is a fairly accurate assessment. This does not mean that the quality is necessarily any less, but some people prefer the assurances and marketing of a larger brand, and of course that is their choice.
6 - Bluesky are happy to let official sellers offer the products on Amazon and Ebay - however they are extremely strict about who does it. For example, we are authorised to sell on Amazon, but not on Ebay. Also Amazon tend to be very stringent in their standards of their sellers, unfortunately eBay are less so and we have seen people selling it very cheap which may mean either its not official product or its old stock - I cannot know for sure, but all I can say is that I urge people to check with any seller that they are official authorised retailers. Heres the biggest clue - if they are selling it less than £xx.xx…. Bluesky insists on this as their retails price and will stop supplying anyone selling cheaper - if they are less, then they are not an official seller and are probably best avoided.

Last edited by a moderator:
So use it then? I still wouldn't, but that's my choice and opinion.

I don't know if the rules have changed, but we were never allowed to put trade prices on the forum though.

So use it then? I still wouldn't, but that's my choice and opinion.

I don't know if the rules have changed, but we were never allowed to put trade prices on the forum though.

Would that count as it's the price they sell to retail at as well? They aren't trade only product.

Whys it ok for everyone else to post questions about other subjects? I thought the forum was for help and information. I've never heard of that website and so I came directly to salon geek as I thought that was its purpose..... this thread is just crazy in so many ways, I can't believe it.

I don't understand your question? Anyone can ask any question, but common courtesy says use the search option first...if you dont get the answer then feel free to post...in this case had you used the search option first you would have got all the answers you needed.

What website are you referring to??? Do you mean the netiquette link?? Its just an example of what netiquette is....as in "internet etiquette' as in how to behave on the internet - such as not typing in capital letters as its the internet version of shouting, etc. Netiquette is a set of guidelines for politely using the Internet.

Mods-: yet again another example of why GMG needs to publish the Geek Commandments, can someone nudge him again :p;)

Last edited:
I don't understand your question? Anyone can ask any question, but common courtesy says use the search option first...if you dont get the answer then feel free to post...in this case had you used the search option first you would have got all the answers you needed.

What website are you referring to??? Do you mean the netiquette link?? Its just an example of what netiquette is....as in "internet etiquette' as in how to behave on the internet - such as not typing in capital letters ad its the internet version of shouting, etc. Netiquette is a set of guidelines for politely using the Internet.

Mods-: yet again another example of why GMG needs to publish the Geek Commandments, can someone nudge him again :p;)

If you read my posts properly you would see that I did indeed use the search facility first but ... as I alr day have written... I got to a comment that said "oh blue sky... no one can help you here" and at that point I thought I'd start a new thread which would enable me to ask further questions to the issues being raised.

Yes the netiquette link... I can't see why this is being brought to my attention. I did search the website and I made my own post.... exactly what is wrong with that. You get repeat posts on here all the time because things change and people need new help and information. Now I'm being told my post wasn't welcome on salon geek and I'm breaking some sore of etiquette rules. Give me a break.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I was told a while ago by one of the CND ambassadors that the 'Shellac' in CND is not the same as the original shellac resin that blue sky is referring to. Its something that they created and decided to call Shellac because of the hard shiny look it gives. I know it doesn't make much difference but just wanted to put that out there because I remember a debate about whether Shellac was vegan because people had a panic thinking it was made from beatle secretion or something. It was on the creative academy Manchester page on Facebook

I like using this website to look at talented techs ideas and also marketing inspiration. if I want to post something new then I can just as everyone else can. Just because I'm not an avid user with lots of likes and followers doesn't mean I can't post a thread when I have a genuine question. I leave it there because it's really gone well over the top.

One thing I will say op is that if you want to be able to offer your clients a good choice of colours and effects then some basic cnd shellac colours will be sufficient for your business if you purchase some pigments. This works out as better value than bluesky in terms of money spent vs colours options. That way you get the guaranteed quality of a hypoallergenic and technically sound product.

Nb. Glitterarty and Gnarly Nails on ebay is an excellent source for quality and various pigments.

This is exactly what I do because it meets my goal of wanting guaranteed quality that is cost effective.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I was told a while ago by one of the CND ambassadors that the 'Shellac' in CND is not the same as the original shellac resin that blue sky is referring to. Its something that they created and decided to call Shellac because of the hard shiny look it gives. I know it doesn't make much difference but just wanted to put that out there because I remember a debate about whether Shellac was vegan because people had a panic thinking it was made from beatle secretion or something. It was on the creative academy Manchester page on Facebook
That's absolutely correct

I emailed s2 about this as I have a vegan client who would not have shellac without proof that it was not made with beetles

I got an email back confirming that CND shellac is vegan

I personally would only use pro only products on my clients anyway, I wouldn't use blue sky purely because I'm sure I wouldnt be insured if a client had a reaction to it and that would be awful especially as it has a reputation for causing reactions. I bought the blue sky topcoat to do my glitter colour pops with to save me getting through a whole bottle of shellac and I had no negative preconceptions about bluesky as I was a newbie and had hardly heard of it, after an hour of sitting there breathing in the strong chemical smell I felt incredibly sick and light headed for quite a while after, nothing I have ever experienced with any nail products and I'm not particularly sensitive to smells either. I would never want to expose my clients to this x

What's wrong with a bit of Latin ?

Some of us did Latin at school.- never mock a classic!

Peace!

I'm far too busy to go through this entire Thread and site the numerous comments that do indeed come across as rude "stroppy op" "wide eyed innocent op" "poor excuse" etc etc etc

I haven't been rude at all. I've forwarded the thread to bluesky and asked them to respond.

I have questioned your opinions with some logic using st Tropez as an example.

I have contacted some professional blue sky users on Instagram to see what they think about the product and I will make my own mind up.

I love salon geek for looking at new ideas and trends but I think I won't be asking options. Further up the thread someone has put "I think you know this would cause a stir" or something along those lines.... it's total rubbish I don't spend my life on this website so I'd no idea that blue sky was such a touchy subject. Yes I read other threads but stopped when I read "bluesky... no one can help you here". Basically the individual is accusing me of wanting to start this post so that there's a big keyboard warrior war about a gel polish. Wrong. I won't make the same mistake again....

Thank you however to those who gave a good honest opinion without putting me down.

Don't take it personally - a lot are quite CND happy on here. Other brands simply do not count as I have seen.

I have never used it but just wanted to clarify a point about animal testing. Somebody said that it is definitely tested on animals because it is produced in China but that is not necessarily true. By their law any product sold in China that is not manufactured there has to be tested on animals but if a product is made in China then that is not the case (although it may have been). Products can be made in China and exported and do not have to be tested on animals just those coming in. You can check on PETA have a cruelty free products list, I don't know if Bluesky is on there or not.

I have never used it but just wanted to clarify a point about animal testing. Somebody said that it is definitely tested on animals because it is produced in China but that is not necessarily true. By their law any product sold in China that is not manufactured there has to be tested on animals but if a product is made in China then that is not the case (although it may have been). Products can be made in China and exported and do not have to be tested on animals just those coming in. You can check on PETA have a cruelty free products list, I don't know if Bluesky is on there or not.

And that is exactly the point bluesky have made xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back