Why r my own nails sooo bad?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimmberlei

Reaction score
Hey all!

Merry Christmas!

Question:

I have been a qualified nail tech since june 2005. My nails are sooo bad. I hardley have any nail plates left and rings of fire, all of which i did to myself when i was training, and what other trainees did to me. Its been awhile now and my nails are still as bad. I nearly always have enhancements on to protect them but they seem to be getting worse. None of my clients nails (thankgod) are like this, otherwise im sure they wouldnt come back! Whats happend or what am i doing wrong? I cant leave the enhancements off as its bad advertisement. Any suggestions?

Cheers in advance guys xxx

it sounds to me as if you are still damaging your own nails as the rings of fire etc from training would have grown out by now, you are obviously filing into your own nail plate, there are some great tutorials on here re filing etc, or maybe you should consider more training to help with your problems.

it sounds to me as if you are still damaging your own nails as the rings of fire etc from training would have grown out by now, you are obviously filing into your own nail plate, there are some great tutorials on here re filing etc, or maybe you should consider more training to help with your problems.

Hi and thanks Jac!

I do want to go for more training but i recently took of a set of gels of a client of mine and she told me that her nails have never been as strong and she praised me for helping her to grow and maintain them! I have a reasonable client base which i honestly dont do any damage to their nails (yet!). Its my own nails that seem to be the problem. Why can i do everyone elses nail but my own? Why wont they grow? Do you think that i or people have permenantly damaged future growth? As i say, they dont even seem to grow!?!?:cry:

well it is possible to do permanant damage but not to all your nails i wouldnt think, are you sure thet dont grow? are you sure they are just not breaking off? do you not need to rebalance at all?

I would hazard a guess that you're not using your 'normal' filing technique when doing your own nails.
It can take ages to learn how to file/buff our own nails as we're working at the wrong angle to what we're used to.

Your nails would most certainly have grown in the last year, yet the damage is still there, that points the finger to damage still being done.

I have a similar prob, but only on my wrong hand. Just can't get the file control right with my wrong hand when doing a rebalance......
Working on yourself I find very different from working on a client because the angle you are working at is different, (unless you're double jointed, lol)

Maybe get another tech to do your nails, just until the damage has grown out, then give it another go?

I have a similar prob, but only on my wrong hand. Just can't get the file control right with my wrong hand when doing a rebalance......
Working on yourself I find very different from working on a client because the angle you are working at is different, (unless you're double jointed, lol)

Maybe get another tech to do your nails, just until the damage has grown out, then give it another go?

Im definatly going to do that...Bling Bling (Cheryl) has done my nails in the past so i have booked an appointment and im going to travel to her cus shes great!

Its not all of my nails, its 5 of them!

I just cant believe that their this bad!

Thanks for your replies guys. It maybe best to get them done continously by someone else ah!?:)

Im definatly going to do that...Bling Bling (Cheryl) has done my nails in the past so i have booked an appointment and im going to travel to her cus shes great!

Its not all of my nails, its 5 of them!

I just cant believe that their this bad!

Thanks for your replies guys. It maybe best to get them done continously by someone else ah!?:)

Let me know if you ever want a set as i am just down the road!! x x x

I did a search to see if i could find out anything about my problem.. and figured that rather then clogging up the forum with yet another thread from me i will just see if anyone can help as my prob is exactly the same as the above poster!!

I have yet to damage the nail plates of clients.. but due to a lack of hand models and a decent hand trainer, i have been my own dummy.. and through my training and since then i have managed to give myself 6 rings of fire on 6 nails.. they are not sore.. just annoying.. and while practising my filing i have put 2 dents in the nail plate of 2 fingers...

:eek:

I have taken the nail enhancements off my nails as im about to do a conversion course.. but im tired of having product lift on the dents.. and wonder if a few months off to treat them with cuticle oil and cream would help??
If i was a client of mine, i would treat myself with kit gloves and do a tip and overlay with weekly checkups.. but im about to re-learn sculpting and im wondering if i should wait!!??

any advice would be great!!

Latest posts

Back