Why use a drill at all?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CadenceAlex

Reaction score
Hi

Why use a drill at all, when amazing enhancements can be done by hand filing... I don't understand! They look deadly and potentially extremely detrimental to the nail bed..:eek:

Any answers? :confused:

I DONT use a drill but when Im doing an infill or rebalance and need to reduce the length I sometimes wish I had one cos Im worried Im going to get arthritis, but wouldnt go anywhere near the natural nail with one...having said that I was actually trained with one.

I don't use one but sometimes wish I did when someone wants gel taken off. It can be a bit boring.

pazzy said:
I DONT use a drill but when Im doing an infill or rebalance and need to reduce the length I sometimes wish I had one cos Im worried Im going to get arthritis, but wouldnt go anywhere near the natural nail with one...having said that I was actually trained with one.

Was the drill originally used with MMA? Or has MMA never been legal?

Im not sure if the monomer was mma but it was such a long time ago (15yrs) and it was starnails...the trainer used drills and I thought that was how it was done...I gave up in the end because for a new set of nails there is really no need to use a drill.

pazzy said:
Im not sure if the monomer was mma but it was such a long time ago (15yrs) and it was starnails...the trainer used drills and I thought that was how it was done...I gave up in the end because for a new set of nails there is really no need to use a drill.

I agree... I don't think there is any need to use drills and they are sooo expensive.

I use my drill all the time. On new sets I'll use is if I need to tidy up the underside of the free edge. Sometimes while sculpting if the forms are not put on just right the edge will need some attention.

On fills I will use the drill to ditch out the growth at the smile line and just add some sculpture formature instead of removing all the gel. and to remove the bulk of the product when rebalancing. I find it helps save time (alot of time) and strain on my wrists.

I really like it but if you decide to get one I know they are expensive, but buy a good one as you will regret it if you buy a cheepo.:)

Saturday I was fortunate enough to be busy all day and by the end of it my left arm and spine was feeling the strain of all the fileing and buffing, and these were all new sets.
I have not been trained and do not use an e-file but, when a tech has a day of infills, which is the correct time to use one of these things, I can see the benefit of using one, it still takes me 2 hours to do an infill and when I have to put a new smile line in it can sometimes look more of a grimus than a smile. E-files take the hard work out of taking down the now out of place stress area and chanal in a beautiful crisp smile line. PROVIDED the tech using it has been propely trained.
I have looked long and hard at the e-file and for now have disided not to invest in one mainly because I want to do my master classes and the cost is just about the same. But I have no dought that as I get busier and the damage to my spine becomes more of a problem, due to age, that the question of do I or dont I will come up again and I will not rule it out of my future.

sometimes i wish i had one, just to save my fingers and wrists! however, i'm a little wary of them and so will stick to my hand files. at least until i get some proper training with one (even then can be sure i won't hurt someone) on second thoughts, i might not bother to get a drill. i'm really not sure on my feelings about them as some people really like theirs. Anyway, interesting thread x

I think that the better I work with my brush the less filing I do, like I say it's just removing gels that gets me down but for how often I have to do this it's not worth the money. I'd rather use the money for other courses like Susie.

kadie said:
sometimes i wish i had one, just to save my fingers and wrists! however, i'm a little wary of them and so will stick to my hand files. at least until i get some proper training with one (even then can be sure i won't hurt someone) on second thoughts, i might not bother to get a drill. i'm really not sure on my feelings about them as some people really like theirs. Anyway, interesting thread x

Thanks Kadie... I'm learning and want to learn all I can to become a great nail technician - where is better to get advice than this site?!

i use an efile most of the time due to RSI and if i hand file all the time im in pain!... but like its been said many times before its ok to use an efile if you are using it safely and are properly trained!

1999judy said:
I think that the better I work with my brush the less filing I do, like I say it's just removing gels that gets me down but for how often I have to do this it's not worth the money. I'd rather use the money for other courses like Susie.

Are gels really hard to remove then? I interviewed a girl who put gel on me and I just peeled it off!!!

I am thinking of buying Balance UV gel from NSI - they sent me a great CD to watch and it looked soooo easy

Hard no, time consuming and a bit boring yes! Don't know of a peel off gel though:eek:

CadenceAlex said:
Hi

Why use a drill at all, when amazing enhancements can be done by hand filing... I don't understand! They look deadly and potentially extremely detrimental to the nail bed..:eek:

Any answers? :confused:
They are not drills, they are Electric Nail Files, and with proper training and correct use are safe on enhancements but NOT the natural nail.

CadenceAlex said:
Was the drill originally used with MMA? Or has MMA never been legal?

I think you're being absolutely ridiculous!! There is absolutely nothing wrong with using an e-file...if you're properly trained. I highly doubt they originated with NSS's using MMA. If they did, why would reputable companys make them and why would reputable suppliers sell them?! Sure, you don't have to use one but why not if you know how? I'd much rather save my wrists and use my e-file when necessary.

Carmen said:
I think you're being absolutely ridiculous!! There is absolutely nothing wrong with using an e-file...if you're properly trained. I highly doubt they originated with NSS's using MMA. If they did, why would reputable companys make them and why would reputable suppliers sell them?! Sure, you don't have to use one but why not if you know how? I'd much rather save my wrists and use my e-file when necessary.
calm down hun, read the whole thread and you will see its not an attack and the answers are well balanced and informative, I think we all understand that you a responsible tech are fed up with having your way of working attacked but that is the point of this thread, to educate:lol:, so who did you train with? was it difficult to learn how to use an e-file, did you have any funny insedentswhile you were learning and how long have you used one?

I think that in Canada and America the e-file training is used more than it is here. If I'd had the training I too would use one.

Sorry to jump the gun here then. I just really don't agree with some of the comments. It seems as if a lot of people on this site associate using an e-file with NSS. With that being said, I also think it has a lot to do with what part of the world you live in. Here, e-files are quite commonly used...that is professional ones. NSS's usually have mandrills that they pick up at the hardware store and I would never go near one of those.

I was trained with Deb Jacklin of Just Nailz. I had private training with her and was properly trained how to use my file. I've been using mine for over a year and a half now and have never had any problems with it. In fact, it saves me a ton of time!

here in Northampton e-files are used a lot, unfortunatly they are used on the natural nail and you should see the mess it makes, lots of peeps think this meens that MMA is being used but I actuly think its not that comon and that its these lazy techs and their bad or maby no training that is the cause of a lot of the problems that many techs see this side of the pond.
I was fortunate enough to meet a canadian geek. (Rae) who has now returned to your side of the pond and have seen how a e-file should be used.
I think its a usful tool but like I said before at the mo I think I will get my master classes before I look at this issue again:)

Latest posts

Back