Why use a drill at all?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1999judy said:
Hard no, time consuming and a bit boring yes! Don't know of a peel off gel though:eek:

she painted it on about four times, in beteen coats i put my hand under the lamp

when she had gone. i fiddled with the thumb nail and the whole lot peeled off in one go!

really put me off gel.. didn't want customers coming back every day with peeled off nails... i told everyone i knew that the gel was rubbish!!

the product was star nails...

CadenceAlex said:
she painted it on about four times, in beteen coats i put my hand under the lamp

when she had gone. i fiddled with the thumb nail and the whole lot peeled off in one go!

really put me off gel.. didn't want customers coming back every day with peeled off nails... i told everyone i knew that the gel was rubbish!!

Have to admire your forth right maner hun, even if you do make me wince a bit:lol: Thats not a dig by the way, I meen it, to many techs get walked alover by their clients coz they won't speak their mind.
Any how I'm a l&p girl myself but I know many techs who use gel and their work is rock solid, so I'm inclined to think it was probebly product application.
Gels are just as strong as l&p when correctly applied.

Susie H said:
Have to admire your forth right maner hun, even if you do make me wince a bit:lol: Thats not a dig by the way, I meen it, to many techs get walked alover by their clients coz they won't speak their mind.
Any how I'm a l&p girl myself but I know many techs who use gel and their work is rock solid, so I'm inclined to think it was probebly product application.
Gels are just as strong as l&p when correctly applied.

Nooooo ... LOL! I should have added that I am well impressed after seeing NSI's CD on their Balance Gel and I am going to order a sample as soon as i c can justify spending more cash out on nail stuff!!!

The gel looks great, and its popular here! The girl I interviewed turned out to have no quals and had tried to blag the job by being confident... she told us she would have an NVQ in nail tech but then also told us the only system she new was gel and knew nothing about L & P.... seemed a bit odd seeing as she claimed to have NVQ. I thought she would have covered more than one sytem.. correct me if I am wrong..

CadenceAlex said:

got to ask you... what will you say when you see a strong gel that's properly applied and decide to use it on your clients?

CadenceAlex said:
Excuse me? 'being absolutely ridiculous'??

I asked a valid question. I deserve a valid response. As a website with hundreds of professional nail technicians registered.. I would have expected to get an educated response. Not a sarcastic reply.

We are all entitled to an opinion. I have not once criticised anyone for using a drill. I just asked why they are used.

Perhaps I should just send PM's to the moderators when I have questions.... so as not to offend anyone... would this suit you better Carmen?
hey... tranquila hunny.... no need for that kind of reply, especially being as it has already been rectified and reasons given (read the replies above).

Carmen said:
I think you're being absolutely ridiculous!! There is absolutely nothing wrong with using an e-file...if you're properly trained. I highly doubt they originated with NSS's using MMA. If they did, why would reputable companys make them and why would reputable suppliers sell them?! Sure, you don't have to use one but why not if you know how? I'd much rather save my wrists and use my e-file when necessary.
I agree with Carmen.I am a beauty therapist as well as doing nails and I get cramp in my thumbs and wrist sooo much I know that I am going to have problems later in life with RSI.I think using an electric file/drill (who the hell cares what its called)is absolutely fine as long as the person using the equipment is properly trained and confident in what shes doing.Sometimes I'm in agony after doing only a little bit of hand filing so as soon as I can afford to invest in a good quality e file/drill and some training I know thats exactly the route I shall take.If it saves me the pain then why not.I love my job and I can only try to make sure I dont strain my wrists and thumbs when massaging etc but using an e-file/drill would help me so much .I think if your happy hand filing then good for you but its an individuals right to choose either way.:)

ValencianNails said:
got to ask you... what will you say when you see a strong gel that's properly applied and decide to use it on your clients?

it was my first experience with gel... i suppose first impressions count for alot... now i am converted and can't wait to have a go!

CadenceAlex said:
Excuse me? 'being absolutely ridiculous'??

I asked a valid question. I deserve a valid response. As a website with hundreds of professional nail technicians registered.. I would have expected to get an educated response. Not a sarcastic reply.

We are all entitled to an opinion. I have not once criticised anyone for using a drill. I just asked why they are used.

Perhaps I should just send PM's to the moderators when I have questions.... so as not to offend anyone... would this suit you better Carmen?

I apologized for jumping the gun. I took your MMA comment the wrong way...that's the problem with text! I was not being facetious in any manner...just defending my beloved e-file.

ValencianNails said:
hey... tranquila hunny.... no need for that kind of reply, especially being as it has already been rectified and reasons given (read the replies above).

Just re read what I wrote... I sound like a right bitch.. LOL!

Sorrrrry... but I didn't feel it was fair to be tarred with the same brush as 'everyone' who seems to think drills/e files/whatever are used with MMA.

I suppose we all come to our own conclusions and then just ASK!

So do many people think this then? I think its pretty easy to see why... as MMA is supposed to be hard isn't it? And I would have thought efiles/drills would be easier to get through them than a hand file...

Carmen said:
I apologized for jumping the gun. I took your MMA comment the wrong way...that's the problem with text! I was not being facetious in any manner...just defending my beloved e-file.
Carmen how long does the training take and did you feel confident once training complete or did you practice on a hand trainer before you felt okay about working on the public??

Carmen said:

No probs Carmen... :)

Are e-files much faster then....? Just been looking at them on NSI after seeing people's opinions.. LOL

I suppose you would need correct training.. although I could buy one if I wanted as NSI don't want quals or anything... that's SCARY!!! To think I (and others) could quite easily be loose with one within 72 hours with free P & P.... :eek:

CadenceAlex said:

Are e-files much faster then....? Just been looking at them on NSI after seeing people's opinions.. LOL

I suppose you would need correct training.. although I could buy one if I wanted as NSI don't want quals or anything... that's SCARY!!! To think I (and others) could quite easily be loose with one within 72 hours with free P & P.... :eek:
that's where professional ethics come into things... to know the difference between getting the appropriate training before using one OR to just go right on out there and potentially mess up peoples nails.

My e-file training was part of my enhancement training. In fact, that's how I did my filing on my models while practising. It was under very close supervision though and because I had one-on-one private training, Deb watched every move I made. She'd show me on a couple fingers and then I would give it a go. Honestly, I never felt nervous with it and I think that plays a big role. If you don't feel confident, you're much more likely to do some damage. Also, you would always keep your file at a very low speed when you're first learning. And, never use a carbide bit at first. Get used to using a sanding band and once you feel comfortable with that, you can graduate to carbide. I actually rarely use my carbide bit as I prefer the sanding band. I only use it when someone has MMA on their nails I need to remove.

It's true you don't need to use a file to create beautiful nails but I really feel it's faster in the long run when it comes to doing rebalances. The only time I use one on a new set is to ensure my final shape is as flawless and as smooth as I can get it...and I find the e-file helps me achieve this. And when it comes to removal, it's MUCH faster considering most gels are not soak-off.

I know I would be terrified to buy one and then just use it on a client.When I used to have mine done by a very experienced nail tech if she didn't keep lifting it and moving it the heat build up was horrendous,Ive heard its agony if they go through the nail.It's terrible that untrained people can buy these things.:eek:

when I did some training with NSI we talked about E-files and they sugested that when I was ready to buy one that I buy it at a trade show, because that way the money saved would actualy pay for the training, so I don't think that they would just sell you a file, but that said, there are plenty of them on ebay.:irked:

I would never buy an e-file without training, you just don't know what you are doing & could cause damage. I do think that an e-file would be useful during a rebalance as my fingers cramp and my back & shoulders always ache after all the filing. Saying that, if I went into a salon & someone wanted to use an e-file on me (as an ordinary member of the public) I would be nervous about letting someone use one on me. This is what puts me off doing the training, client perception. I may consider it in the future if I get problems but for now I'll stick with hand filing.

BABSann said:
I know I would be terrified to buy one and then just use it on a client.When I used to have mine done by a very experienced nail tech if she didn't keep lifting it and moving it the heat build up was horrendous,Ive heard its agony if they go through the nail.It's terrible that untrained people can buy these things.:eek:

I agree... a few years ago I had one used on me and the burning feeling was horrendous.. imagine the sensation if it went through the nail plate?! OUCH!

I wouldn't buy one, seriously, as I wouldn't feel confident using one without training - how annoyed would I be if I went to the hairdressers and got a haircut by an untrained person, unknowingly??

Never say never though, I may in future want to be trained... in which case I would happily buy one.

nicjill said:
I would never buy an e-file without training, you just don't know what you are doing & could cause damage. I do think that an e-file would be useful during a rebalance as my fingers cramp and my back & shoulders always ache after all the filing. Saying that, if I went into a salon & someone wanted to use an e-file on me (as an ordinary member of the public) I would be nervous about letting someone use one on me. This is what puts me off doing the training, client perception. I may consider it in the future if I get problems but for now I'll stick with hand filing.

As far as client perception is concerned, you could always offer them the option? That way you could train to do it, and own one.. but only use it if the customer felt at ease? May save yourself from cramp sometimes.

CadenceAlex said:

Yeh NSI don't ask for qualifications but most don't, I think they expect you to act like a professional. I'm trained with them so can't fault them, but really when it comes to this its down to you as a person. I have just purchased a nail drill not from them as NSI prices can be a bit more expensive on some things but am going to do the drill course with them as i want to be able to do it right & say I'm qualified to use it. It all boils down to what you want to be seen as. I want to be totally professional but needed the drill to do the course so got that first. They do offer discounts if you buy the drill & book the course together so they do promote that you SHOULD do training!! This reply is NOT getting at anyone in anyway just wanted to say that i feel they are a professional company & doing it the best way they can as people can still train with them even if they have bought a drill from elsewhere!!! But agree in the wrong hands could be very scary!!!!

Carmen said:
My e-file training was part of my enhancement training. In fact, that's how I did my filing on my models while practising. It was under very close supervision though and because I had one-on-one private training, Deb watched every move I made. She'd show me on a couple fingers and then I would give it a go. Honestly, I never felt nervous with it and I think that plays a big role. If you don't feel confident, you're much more likely to do some damage. Also, you would always keep your file at a very low speed when you're first learning. And, never use a carbide bit at first. Get used to using a sanding band and once you feel comfortable with that, you can graduate to carbide. I actually rarely use my carbide bit as I prefer the sanding band. I only use it when someone has MMA on their nails I need to remove.

It's true you don't need to use a file to create beautiful nails but I really feel it's faster in the long run when it comes to doing rebalances. The only time I use one on a new set is to ensure my final shape is as flawless and as smooth as I can get it...and I find the e-file helps me achieve this. And when it comes to removal, it's MUCH faster considering most gels are not soak-off.

I am seriously going to look into using gel then... as I couldn't offer gel nails if I don't know how to get them off! How unproffessional would that be????

Latest posts

Back