Why use a drill at all?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CadenceAlex said:
I thought that I could buy the gels and try them out and practice on people until I felt confident enough to use on paying clients - do you happen to know whether Balance UV Gel by NSI is soak or buff off?

Balance gel by NSI is buff off gel. hth

1999judy said:
Balance gel by NSI is buff off gel. hth

Thanks Judy, that's great!

CadenceAlex said:
Hi

Why use a drill at all, when amazing enhancements can be done by hand filing... I don't understand! They look deadly and potentially extremely detrimental to the nail bed..:eek:

Any answers? :confused:

Hi mate. E-files are in no way "deadly" and Im sure you know that. They are just another part of this industry that needs to be learnt the same as any other product.

They are not necessary for a new set of nails, I dont think. However, they can be extremely useful for a rebalance/refill etc.

They also have nothing whatsoever to do with MMA and these 2 different products need to stop being associated with one another for the benefit of this industry.

thanks and I hope you continue to learn from this site.

I had an e-file as when I trained the products were MMA :eek: and nearly impossible to file off but after I did my L&P induction with Creative I sold it. I didnt feel that I had been trained to use it safely and liked the idea of learning to 'sculpt wiht my brush", getting rid of it forced me to improve. Even when I did have it I hardly used it as I wanted to improve my technique of application and hand filing. Also many clients hate the e-file. I sold it and used the money to buy more nail stuff. I beleive that there is a place for it in the nail world if the person who uses it is properly and thoroughly trained to use it and uses it in conjunction with 'sculpting with the brush' and hand filing. ie they dont use it because they cant do the other methods. xx

avivajoy said:
I had an e-file as when I trained the products were MMA :eek: and nearly impossible to file off but after I did my L&P induction with Creative I sold it. I didnt feel that I had been trained to use it safely and liked the idea of learning to 'sculpt wiht my brush", getting rid of it forced me to improve. Even when I did have it I hardly used it as I wanted to improve my technique of application and hand filing. Also many clients hate the e-file. I sold it and used the money to buy more nail stuff. I beleive that there is a place for it in the nail world if the person who uses it is properly and thoroughly trained to use it and uses it in conjunction with 'sculpting with the brush' and hand filing. ie they dont use it because they cant do the other methods. xx

Seeeeeeeeee some people DID learn how to use an e-file with MMA... that's what I was wondering. Perhaps the e-file was used in the beginning because the MMA was so very hard to get through... and the e-file was kept in use as it was a good tool? I KNOW not everyone who uses an e file was trained with MMA... but do you see what I am saying? As MMA was not being used anymore and other systems came out...

I am interested in getting one simply because I do so many rebalances that it takes so much time up and Im worried that I could end up with really knobbly hands in the future.

Whats the best e-file around? What one would be the best to go for?

I am thinking of buying Balance UV gel from NSI - they sent me a great CD to watch and it looked soooo easy[/quote]

I've got that DVD too and their stuff IS NOT easy! i find it really hard to use, quite sticky and gloopy. I do like using Akzentz though. I am going to get rid of my NSI stuffif you're interested x

Which NSI products do you use hun?

ive just started using the NSI balance gels and find them easy to use

Hi
This same thread has come up in so many different ways that its almost funny. Australia, Canada and America seem to use Efiles (though they are called drills in Australia) a lot more than in the UK, so if you look at the posts defending them it is usually ,though not always, nail stylists (love that job description over nail tech!) from these countries.
It is a great asset on your times if used in trained hands.
It could be a weapon used in untrained hands on unsuspecting nails!
xx:green:

I Have A Drill And I Amit I Doont Use It As Often As I Thought I Would But It Comes In Handy I Did Take The Drill Saftey Course That Is Offered Here In U.s. Although It Is Not Required. I Think When I Firsrt Bought The Drill I Was Trying To Keep Up With Nss I Found That I Did Better Nail Provided With Service Than They Did And Ovr The Years I Have Picked Up Clients From The Nss Do To The Damage That Has Been Inflected On Them

kadie said:
I am thinking of buying Balance UV gel from NSI - they sent me a great CD to watch and it looked soooo easy

I've got that DVD too and their stuff IS NOT easy! i find it really hard to use, quite sticky and gloopy. I do like using Akzentz though. I am going to get rid of my NSI stuffif you're interested x[/quote]

yeah that would be great, what have you got?

I use NSI Balance Gel too and I find it quite difficult to use to the point where I try to talk clients into l & p or pass them to my partner. Personally I love l & p as I find it more workable and I feel confident using it. And you are right the NSI DVD looks well easy and really nice results. The dvd used a completely different technique that I was trained!

Why use a drill at all?

I've been asking that question for years! :) Why indeed.

There is no one on this site or out there who could possibly have had a busier salon that I had. Yet I never felt the need to use a drill for either finishing or rebalancing. I don't think it would have saved me one minute of time.

Not saying one shouldn't use them or that anyone will go straight to Hell if they do use them, but I can't see the need and have never been tempted. One of the things that put me off the most is the mess they make.

geeg said:
Why use a drill at all?

I've been asking that question for years! :) Why indeed.

There is no one on this site or out there who could possibly have had a busier salon that I had. Yet I never felt the need to use a drill for either finishing or rebalancing. I don't think it would have saved me one minute of time.

Not saying one shouldn't use them or that anyone will go straight to Hell if they do use them, but I can't see the need and have never been tempted. One of the things that put me off the most is the mess they make.

From what I can gather... people seem to use them as it saves them time and some have cramps/rsi...

But people sure are touchy about this subject!!!

I thought about getting a drill back along, when my application was too thick and rebalances were taking me forever...a few more classes along and a lot more happy clients down the road, I am pleased to say that my application is now pretty good, I'm not troweling my product on to the nail, my product is easy to file and happily I am not having to spend forever filing for a rebalance.

So I haven't thought about getting a drill in a long time!

CadenceAlex said:
From what I can gather... people seem to use them as it saves them time and some have cramps/rsi... But people sure are touchy about this subject!!!

Mine was a rhetorical question ... I know why peeps say they use them ... my point was that a drill would not save ME time and I never ever remember getting cramps.

I'm certainly not touchy about the subject .. each to his/her own. What causes the touchiness is that those who have been around have seen the huge amount of nail plate damage caused by drill use. I know, I know, that a file used badly can also cause damage ... we don't live in a perfect world. But because of the speed, the potential for aggressive damage is more with a drill.

youu guys sound like that you are attacking each other i use a drill from time to time with cracks back fils and with some nail art but i never use a e-file on the natural nail

Latest posts

Back