Will Fungus grow in polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perfected

Reaction score
Is it possible for nail fungus to live in a bottle of polish? If you use a bottle of polish (big 3 free) on several clients with a nail fungus, and then use it on clients without nail fungus, could you cross contaminate? Would fungus survive in a bottle of Shellac?

I always thought you could cross contaminate nail fungus with polish so I never use the polish from work....

Kudo points if you have scientific evidence/research. :)

This is not meant to be rude hun but why are you agreeing to treat people with a nail fungus, I would send them to the g.p to get it sorted before they could have thir nails done. xxxx

i think she is just interested in the science of it all.

esp when she said she dont use the polish at her work because she is worried about x contamination.

xx

Given that I have never seen a bottle of nail varnish go mouldy, I think that mould spores probably cant grow in it. Lots of inorganic substances cannot support mould life, so I wouldnt worry.

Well I can't provide you with the research, but I can provide you with the truth which is that fungus will not grow in polish of any kind, 3 free or not. Polish is not an environment that would sustain a life form .. it is still essentially solvents. So the answer is that you will not cross contaminate by using the same polish on more than one client.

I have performed many pedicures on clients that have a toenail fungus ... why not?? As long as your antiseptic routine is as it should be then it is not a problem.

While they cannot grow in nail polish, fungus is HIGHLY contagious.

I'm not an advanced pedicurist or a pedologist, so I would never treat anyone with a fungus. But that's just my personal decision.

How do any of you know whether it is a yeast fungi, mold fungi or even a dermatophyte? Fungus can be from ringworm, which I'm sure many of you know is also extremely contagious. I just can't put myself or my other clients at risk like that.

Also, let's remember that mold can and will travel in spores, so when you're busy filing down that fungal nail, you could be spreading the mold fungi spores all over your clothes etc.

I agree with your answer. I wonder how long the fungus would have to be exposed to the solvent before it begins to die?

Still, there is no keratin for the fungus to eat, so it's not an environment which would support life.
I wonder how long it could survive in the bottle before it dies and could it be passed on to another client in the mean time?

Well, logically you can't spread any form of organism through nail polish because if you could, there would be a rule about disinfecting, maybe even sterilizing a brush after every client. Or dispose it... And shellac - there is another "protective" step - the UV light. UV light kills a lot of bugs. Linda

Pathogens need water to grow and nail enamel monomer etc dies not contain water therefore these products are classed as self-disinfecting (solar oil in salons should be applied with droppers) .

Proper sanitation disinfection and following a good routine will help prevent the spread pathogens. Xx

Latest posts

Back