Window shopping

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone had a look at their own shop-front via Google Street View? it's really odd, like a time-machine!

Bung your post-code into Google Maps, zoom right in, click the road near you and you can literally "drive" past your shop-front.

If anyone is struggling to post up a pic- give us your postcode and we can have a gander ourselves :)

Has anyone had a look at their own shop-front via Google Street View? it's really odd, like a time-machine!

Bung your post-code into Google Maps, zoom right in, click the road near you and you can literally "drive" past your shop-front.

If anyone is struggling to post up a pic- give us your postcode and we can have a gander ourselves :)

I tried doing this out of interest about a month back.. For some reason I can't "drive" past though! I can only view from a birds eye view? .. Can you let me know what I'm doing wrong please? Or is it because I am trying to do this on my iPad, an this is another thing an iPad can't do!!?

from our experience of shop fitting and marketing for the beauty and salon industry normal goes in order of;

1. Shop sign - fresh, sleek, elegant, new maybe? - this can be done relatively cheap with the right contacts, do not just go to your local sign company!

2. A boards - they work provided the content on them is good and BIG. Remember, sometimes less is more with posters.

3. Window graphics - Depends on the shop sometimes its applicable, sometimes now but can make it look nice.

4. Window Posters - Again these work well but the thing is they need to be changed regularly. Doesn't necessarily need to keep buying new ones but alternate weekly different ones. It takes someone on average 12 times to see something before reading it. If its left there people won't notice. Change is key.

5. Leaflet drop - This works provided you are offering something with it! 10% off maybe for mon-thurs?

6. Banners - If you have somewhere to hang them.

7. Websites - Jury's still out on this but it doesn't hurt to have a free/in-expensive one anyway.

This is just our experience. If want free advice on improvements to your shop (you don't need to order from us) then just ask away! :) all businesses need to succeed!

Thanks,
Adam

Sorry to digress a little (and please do get back on track with this thread- as I think it's going to be interesting)

The jury is out on having a website? I wouldn't have thought so...

I mean not completely, websites are great use to reaching a wider market. If we didn't think they would work we wouldn't have a few ourselves. Just thinking for very small businesses sometimes its not the be all and end all as the SEO to get it anywhere to be seen can be a rip-off. Depends where you are I guess! The free websites like moonfruit are a winner though!
Sorry to digress a little (and please do get back on track with this thread- as I think it's going to be interesting)

I tried doing this out of interest about a month back.. For some reason I can't "drive" past though! I can only view from a birds eye view? .. Can you let me know what I'm doing wrong please? Or is it because I am trying to do this on my iPad, an this is another thing an iPad can't do!!?

You know what- I only found out this weekend that My Ipad can do street view too! I'd been cursing it for months!

If you drop a "pin" on where you want to view, it'll come up with an icon of the street name- next to that name will be a little orange circle with a man-icon in it, hit that icon and it'll go into street view!

I mean not completely, websites are great use to reaching a wider market. If we didn't think they would work we wouldn't have a few ourselves. Just thinking for very small businesses sometimes its not the be all and end all as the SEO to get it anywhere to be seen can be a rip-off. Depends where you are I guess! The free websites like moonfruit are a winner though!

I disagree. I think having a website is even more important for a smaller business, as it will- by its very nature- allow them to compete on a level playing field with larger companies. It'll allow them to have a 24 hour presence, act as a port-of-call and a means to disseminate information. You don't need expensive SEO at all if you use it properly. Not every website needs to be "salesy" and rely on random hits.

Just my opinion though...now, back to the shop fronts :)

Last edited:
This is a view looking down the road from the high street. Past all the takeaways and a hair dressers is me (on the right next the the China Garden with the red door)

I have a banner, sign and A board.

I was thinking of adding a sticking out sign saying Beauty Salon or maybe my logo so people could see there was a salon down there without walking down?

Would it be a good idea?

The hair dressers now have a beauty room at the back so people have to walk past her to get to my salon.

Maybe if they knew there was more a title further it might encourage people to check me out?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1343826092.857064.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1343826092.857064.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 343
I think that could be a good addition :) Maybe with your logo and a nice big arrow.

If they see it just a bit further along they may check you out instead

This is a view looking down the road from the high street. Past all the takeaways and a hair dressers is me (on the right next the the China Garden with the red door)

I have a banner, sign and A board.

I was thinking of adding a sticking out sign saying Beauty Salon or maybe my logo so people could see there was a salon down there without walking down?

Would it be a good idea?

The hair dressers now have a beauty room at the back so people have to walk past her to get to my salon.

Maybe if they knew there was more a title further it might encourage people to check me out?

I think I'll get on to that.

How often is google maps updated? Maine is still showing my dads old shop front. And my buggy out side which was my 2nd child's about 3-4 years ago!

I'd love my shop to show up.

Well- that's the problem...they have to physically send that little car around, and its mind-bogglingly expensive (plus they've just been told off for keeping peoples data from Street View longer than they should have done)

It's at least six months old now (some are newer than others just by dint of the car getting to them later!) I think and probably won't be done again for ages.

They've added loads more places now mind you- so I've had a nice drive around Majorca this morning getting all dewy eyed at places I've been on my hols as a kid :)

Last edited:
I think I'll get on to that.

How often is google maps updated? Maine is still showing my dads old shop front. And my buggy out side which was my 2nd child's about 3-4 years ago!

I'd love my shop to show up.

Te map of my area is 2009, if you look closely you can see google c symbol and a date.
My aunt is really obvious on there, can see her walking to the shop. Had to screen shot and print it haha xoxo

Yes done this...mine is about 5-6 years old from what my OH has told me about the area...my salon looked skanky back then...thank goodness it wasn't mine!

Our google picture is also old, our shop had been closed for 2 years before we bought it, We totally revamped it, inside and out.

The one on google we asked to be removed it was a totally different shop to what it is now.

Not looked since.

On the website front, most of our business is generated through this, we would not be without one.

Street view is still showing the wedding shop that was in my building. There was a scrapbooker after them and before me so it's a few years old. My Mum was outside her place when google came past so she's there for the world to see in her track pants, bum in the air getting something out of the back of her car.:lol:

My google maps has just been updated in may 2012 so mines very recent (of my house) but they missed my new car by a few days :p lol x

I disagree. I think having a website is even more important for a smaller business, as it will- by its very nature- allow them to compete on a level playing field with larger companies. It'll allow them to have a 24 hour presence, act as a port-of-call and a means to disseminate information. You don't need expensive SEO at all if you use it properly. Not every website needs to be "salesy" and rely on random hits.

Just my opinion though...now, back to the shop fronts :)

perhaps there may be more web traffic for the poster you are addressing if the spelling mistakes I pointed out a while ago on their website had been corrected... :irked:

I would not exist if it wasn't for my website! All of my business comes from word of mouth or my website as at the moment I am still running my business from home... My new salon does not open til November.

For some reason the pic doesnt show the light behind the K and S :rolleyes: I assure you the bulbs are there! xx

Attachments

• salon32012-Optimized.JPG
    salon32012-Optimized.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 307
Think google maps is updated now. I looked the other day and my area is june/july this year now

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back