Word hates in hairdressing!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does she do the thing with her hands?? Clients crack me up when they do random gestures but it seems rather universal.

• a swishy gesture near fringe means a side fringe

• a definite downward gesture at forehead means full fringe

• a curved gesture with the index finger from both hands means a curved fringe

• a pincer grip with the thumb and index finger at the side of the head with sharp back and forth motions usually means they want it layered to frame there face. The more erratic the gesture the more texture they desire.

There now, that's some hairdressing makaton symbols for you haha

X

I have just pictured one of my clients for each of these gestures. X

Rough dry !! Sounds a bit painful :)

'Gingery' I hate that!!! Grrrrrr

Does she do the thing with her hands?? Clients crack me up when they do random gestures but it seems rather universal.

• a swishy gesture near fringe means a side fringe

• a definite downward gesture at forehead means full fringe

• a curved gesture with the index finger from both hands means a curved fringe

• a pincer grip with the thumb and index finger at the side of the head with sharp back and forth motions usually means they want it layered to frame there face. The more erratic the gesture the more texture they desire.

There now, that's some hairdressing makaton symbols for you haha

X

Ha ha. Her example is to hold 2 fingers upright, make a scissor motion with them wilst moving her full arm up and down.

"You're 3 o'clock's here" while the client's standing right there. I'm sure they love being referred to as a time.

Where do u wear your parting.
Erm This way >>>
Ok...

Where do u wear your parting.
Erm This way >>>
Ok...

Or they say - normally to this side, but sometimes in the middle, lately I've been wearing it to the other side.

i hate it when someone wishes to take their "ends off" but refer to it as "dead ends" "Ends" "Off"

for example....
"i just want it Off"-(show desired amount of length that you think would make it healthier)
ooooh no thats too off- (how about we do etc show again)
oh that just ofish.....(grrrh what the bejeasus do you mean?!)
The you finally realise they mean a total restyle, not just the ends off! hmmm! xoxo

Wait a few more yrs and certain ones will grate on you

Promise

~~after even more time all of the strange words that the client uses does not seem so strange and annoying!~~ha ha ha

Can you remember years ago a bbc1 programme about a salon in liverpool? They had a lady who did this (cut and blowed her own hair in salon) and the conflicting arguments over it! Lol

(Around the time of the cruise and that liverpool hotel prog)

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek

It was called shampoo! The episodes on YouTube!!

Word i hate the most "bleach bath"...ick. so diy it makes me want to puke.

I hate it when clients can you fit me in for a quick trim. I hate the words quick and trim, i dont rush any cut and i dont trim hair, i trim my hedges in my garden hehe . X x
I hat that too. I've heard my clients say to the receptionist "it'll only take five minutes". ☹

I hate the word "we"! Can we do this can we do that?! Erm no! I will do that while You sit there and drink coffee lol!

The thing is though how would the average person know every single technical term?! I say all of these sorts to my hairdresser. I can't train myself in hair just for an appointment. Likewise, she wouldn't know the technical terms I use in my line of work.

To be fair I don't use all professional terms to my clients, they don't have a bloody clue what we mean half the time so I have to say it a little more simple and easy to understand.

Has anyone else had clients who refer to their fringe as their 'crop' ? Ha

I've not heard that one! Hahaa, I get a lot of "I want a full fringe that I can put to the side" so which one is it?!

Random thread
whats the words or terminology that bugs you the most?

To name a few
Dip dye!
Steps (layers)
Hair dye! Nobody should be dying in hairdressing!
Heighth!! It's not a word, can't be correcting a clients grammar but come on people!

Heighth!! It's not a word, can't be correcting a clients grammar but come on people!

Heighth? I've never heard that before![emoji33]

I'd definitely have to correct someone on that client or not...

Latest posts

Back