Word of warning on maps

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verve Designs

TAFNO Extensionize
Reaction score
A word of warning to anyone planning to use or copy a map from Google, Bing, etc.

According to a few graphics designer forums I'm a member of there is talk of the copyright holders soon doing what the notorious Getty images have done and hunting down those that aren't using maps legally.

So, if you're using a map on your website incorrectly, take it down (you ARE allowed to "embed" the map though- if you're not sure about that, ask your web designer), basically DON'T just save the image and plonk it on your website.

Similarly (not that you should anyway as it won't be the right resolution) don't be tempted to cut and paste a map onto print materials either.

Even if you're getting a designer to draw a map, many of these maps features "trap streets". These are basically fake or altered streets unique to a specific provider that are intended to identity anyone copying their maps without permission.

I know that's all very dull....but I just thought I'd mention it as I'd hate to see the "Help, I've been sued for using a map" thread turn up!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back