work 4 free in salon 4 experince

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bell

Reaction score
just wondering if it would be worth my wild asking salons could i come in once/twice a week and work for free just to get some experince seen as im just starting out and dont have a whole lot of experince what do u think have any of u geeks do this when u were starting out? any advive opr comments ect... would be great:p

i am sure some salons would snap you up on the offer, why not do some flyers and send em to local salons ;) good luck hun xx

Its a good idea as long as its not for an unlimited time. Set out at the beginning on how long you are prepared to work for 'experience' for no fee but you would want feedback and guidance where appropriate for your work experience.

I did this when I taught myself how to wordprocess and touch type whilst my middle daughter was a nipper. I taught myself at home then went to a local college and sat RSA Typing and Word Processing Stages 1 & 2 and got Merits in both sylabils. Then it was 'catch 22' can't get a job without experience, can't get experience without a job! So I wrote to a few larger firms locally and offered to work voluntary for 4 months and all I would want in return was a reference at the end of this 4 months and if there was a possibility of an opening, that they would consider me for the position. It was great, I got to use all office machinery that I hadn't used before. It gave me lots of confidence. Unfortunately there was no opening, but I did get a fabulous reference and a bunch of flowers so huge it took 4 vases to display them. Within 2 weeks of my voluntary work ending, I got a job with a local firm who I have worked for for 14 years now and trained day release RSA Book Keeping.

Sorry I digressed.... but this sort of aptitude goes a long way as it shows how eager you are to do the job and if the first, second or third etc knocks you back, then keep trying as you will get there in the end. Best of luck and well done for thinking positive :)

Its not a bad thing to do at all.

As Jen said you really need to let them know how many hours and what days you will work.

Be careful not to let them overwork you or have you doing jobs that you didnt go there to do.

Goodluck.

I didn't work for free but I did do holiday cover and got 25% of the price of what ever I was asked to do, learned loads from the other techs and the good will from the 2 places I worked in helped a lot when I got a table in town, coz they sent peeps my way when they were to busy. Good luck hun, I to think you have the right attitude, all the training in the world wont do you any good if you don't get out there and practice :hug:

i did this when i started. i did manicures and answered the phone etc. in return i got to watch the boss doing enhancements . when i did my training, she took me on and got me models to work on. i ended up working there for 9 months, it was great experience.

thanks so much for ur help i went into a slaon but the manager wasnt there so they took my name and number and was told that they would get the manager to ring me back that was yesterday i can do acrylic and gel but not condifent all i want is to get some experince so i can be the best nail tech that i can be i want to do fantastic nails just like the geeks here do i seen pics and all i can say is i wanna be able to do that so practise but does anyone find that they all want exp but no one is willing to give it to you:sad:

hi don't give up hope. try some different salons, someone will give you ago after all they'll be getting something out of it.

Latest posts

Back