Work related Christmas gifts

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evaperk

Reaction score
Does this annoy anyone else? My brother bought me a set of hand creams and someone else bought me a foot file, neither one was a professional quality! Another friend gave me a set of nail gems from pound land and on my birthday this year I was given a manicure voucher from a local salon! Argh! My brother owns an aquarium shop it would be like me giving him a fish!
Is it just me or do others get this too?

My parents got me a makeup case for when I do mobile makeup but I needed one so I was stoked. I would have been happy to receive wax spatulas and strips though, as it's all stuff I need for the salon! Lol. That was the only work related present I got, but I can understand your frustration especially if the products are not professional.

No not at all because although they won't be pro I can still use them on myself or give them to my niece or mum. It's the thought that counts xxx

It's more the thought in my mind. I got given a body wash set off an aunt, with a 2 in 1 shampoo. The shampoo won't ever be used but its the thought. Xoxo

i always get loadssss of bodyshop/ boots gift sets, i love it because on new years eve and new years day i have a really good bath on each and use all my 'present' products up so then i'm nice and clean and ready to start a new year :D with 'present' products you can use a massive handful or squirt it all over, where as with my pro products i use a pea sized amount :lol:

My boyfriend unknowingly got me a fake MAC case with some makeup bits and a brushroll in, obviously I knew but he didn't & it wasn't his fault, the person that sold it to him was his 'friend's' sister who worked at MAC supposedly, so he didn't think twice. It broke my heart telling him but it's the thought that counts & hopefully he will get his money back, I told him to tell his friend that I didn't like it. Oh dear! It didn't annoy me at all I was just sad that he'd wasted money

Does this annoy anyone else? My brother bought me a set of hand creams and someone else bought me a foot file, neither one was a professional quality! Another friend gave me a set of nail gems from pound land and on my birthday this year I was given a manicure voucher from a local salon! Argh! My brother owns an aquarium shop it would be like me giving him a fish!
Is it just me or do others get this too?

Oh dear. Sorry this made me giggle:) You know what to do when it's your brothers birthday then...give him a fish. hehe

It's more the thought in my mind. I got given a body wash set off an aunt, with a 2 in 1 shampoo. The shampoo won't ever be used but its the thought. Xoxo

Is that cause your bald?:)

It's the lack of thought don't you mean?
I know it sounds ungrateful it's just a little weird, I mean if you owned a car dealership would anyone buy you a car? Or if you're a plumber would they buy you somepdfe pdfe tape or some copper pipe? It's different if say your family know you've been saving for a course and they pay for it but hand cream and a manicure voucher? Really!

I know it sounds ungrateful it's just a little weird, I mean if you owned a car dealership would anyone buy you a car? Or if you're a plumber would they buy you somepdfe pdfe tape or some copper pipe? It's different if say your family know you've been saving for a course and they pay for it but hand cream and a manicure voucher? Really!

I agree here, I find it a little thoughtless too. A bit different but my husband is a medium when it comes to jumpers, pjs, undies etc yet his family (yes all of them) always get him large, even when we've asked for the receipts to return items that are too big... They still don't get the message, it's just plain lazy and really winds me up! The thought is lovely but I hate ending up with all kinds of gifts that I will never use, seems such a waste :s

I quite often get Clinique skin care for Christmas but I don't want to offend so I don't say anything. I feel bad when someone has spent a lot of money on something. :(

I get given nail polish a lot even though I only use shellac on my nails. And it's only ever "gift box" type polish which is terrible quality. I hate it, never use them! Surely people know that I can buy professional quality so have no need for anything else :-(

I like to think I'm lucky, I lecture my family so often about products that they know better then to buy me anything unprofessional :p I get useful gifts like this year my dad got me the gelish 18g led lamp and my mom,brother and boyfriend bought me my brisa gel nail course! Woohoo !!!!

No I mean it's the thought that counts. I see your point about the analogy but beauty gifts tend to be seen as pampering don't they? As opposed to tools etc? So I can see why people would get them. And who's to say someone didn't actually sit there & think 'all she does is treat other people so I'm going to get her a voucher for some pampering' which is a lovely thought!!

I would never dislike anything someone bought me because they went to some effort to get it so I'm grateful of the thought! Xx

Anyone want to buy me some new scissors??

I got one of those mini zip up manicure kits... the sort that the scissors aren't even good enough quality to cut your nails. Of course I smiled and said thank you and how I couldn't wait to get home and redo my nails with it....

No I mean it's the thought that counts. I see your point about the analogy but beauty gifts tend to be seen as pampering don't they? As opposed to tools etc? So I can see why people would get them. And who's to say someone didn't actually sit there & think 'all she does is treat other people so I'm going to get her a voucher for some pampering' which is a lovely thought!!

I would never dislike anything someone bought me because they went to some effort to get it so I'm grateful of the thought! Xx

I agree hun, I was going to write the same. I don't think buying a beauty therapist a manicure voucher is a bad thing at all. I think the person that brought it is probably thinking exactly what pixie says..."she's always pampering everyone else, about time she has a pamper".
I've had massage vouchers before, shellac vouchers, fish pedi vouchers and I've been very grateful for all of them, I thought it was very thoughtful. As for beauty bits, if it was kit, I'd be most appreciative, if it was unprofessional Mani kit or bath products etc, I don't mind that either, at least that person has thought about what I like and my interests. Definitely the thought that counts!!!

Xxx

I think the fact that someone went out and bought you something is lovely they could have just stuck some cash in a card but that isn't what Christmas is about (or it shouldn't be anyway).

If you really feel so bad about it then I suggest you point it out so that it doesn't happen again. If you don't like the gifts then you could re-gift them or donate them to charity. Personally I re-gift things when I don't like them or they will not get used as it saves me time & money (but I always spend time choosing the right gifts to pass on to the right person and if what I have doesn't suit I will go out & buy something). I have to remember who gave me what (so I don't give their gift back to them lol) but it's not too hard.

I think the fact that someone went out and bought you something is lovely they could have just stuck some cash in a card but that isn't what Christmas is about (or it shouldn't be anyway).

If you really feel so bad about it then I suggest you point it out so that it doesn't happen again. If you don't like the gifts then you could re-gift them or donate them to charity. Personally I re-gift things when I don't like them or they will not get used as it saves me time & money (but I always spend time choosing the right gifts to pass on to the right person and if what I have doesn't suit I will go out & buy something). I have to remember who gave me what (so I don't give their gift back to them lol) but it's not too hard.

one of my clients was telling me about one christmas she gave her mother in law a really nice gift set from M&S, she said it wasn't cheap at all and she personally thought it was really nice, a few months later her mother in law came round with a black bag full of gift sets and products, she said 'i always get given this kind of rubbish for christmas and birthdays, i really hate cheap gift sets so if you want any feel free to take them otherwise they'll just go to the charity shop', when she opened it she said her present was in there! hahahaha

I always say thank you politely and if the gift is something I wouldn't personally use I keep it in pristine condition and either regift it to someone else if I know they'll like it, or give it to a raffle/tombola at the local primary school for their pampering evening.

Most of the time I'm grateful for the thought but my ex's mum was something else. She was always short of cash (took on a mortgage on her own after a divorce, didn't earn very much, one kid still at home etc), so, I suggested we don't do presents we cook each other a meal or something. But she was determined to give us gifts .. bargain basement stylee ... like the pair of pyjamas she bought with the print upside down ... or the set of towels which were so cheap they didn't actually dry you! Fine, you're short of money - I can fully sympathise - but I'd rather have no present or a family meal than complete rubbish!

Latest posts

Back