Worried about my grandad!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsia

Reaction score
Sorry geeks I have just got so many questions.. I have to vent,

My Grandad who is 76 went to live with my mum in Lanzarote after my Nan died and lately he was eating hardly anything except his pudding, yet he would have a treat of a couple of whiskeys every night. Which my mum kept under lock and key!!

Then he was having trouble passing water and they admitted him into hospital, which ended up in having a cafater (sp) fitted.
They treated him with anti biotics and took the cafater away, but he still couldnt even fill half an egg cup, my mum said.
So they put it back in, and then noticed he had Gallstones!:eek:
Last night they took him down for an emergency operation and ended up having to remove his Gall Bladder along with the stones as there was a big infection!!:cry:

I was speaking to mum, praying he would come round trying to keep her spirits up etc..
The op took over 2 hours when they only said it would be an hour so naturally we were worried.
When they came out, they took my grandad to the intensive care unit.

Mum said now that they have informed her that he has got sirosis (sp) of the liver!!:eek: :cry:
And to not allow him any more whiskeys ever again.. so that hopefully the liver will repair itself but they cannot guarantee it!

I am so worried and upset. He was never an alcaholic or craved drink in the day, just his tipple at night.
Just as we think we got round one problem, there is another.
He had a heart attack when he was 60 but recovered well, and hasnt had anything wrong since.
I am frightened that he is giving up on life since nanny died and this whole thing is really getting to me.

I visited only 3 months ago and bought him a wheelchair because he was finding it hard to get to the loo, or anywhere on the groundfloor in mums villa, in less than 15 mins! Shuffling!

He has been put on strong antibiotics and will be in intensive care for the next week at least.
Trouble is, I feel so helpless being 2,000 miles away. And I dont even know what half of these things he has wrong with him are about.
Googled it but not much came up, probably cos I'm spelling it all wrong! and my questions are still not answered.
Now I am just praying.
Has anyone else heard or had to deal with these?
Did George Best die from that liver disease?

Sorry its been a long one, I just have to let it out.:cry:

God, i'm so sorry to hear that, my heart goes out to you. :hug:

My mam had gallstones and had a massive infection afterwards, she had jaundice and pancreatitus. She is over it now but it took a while for her to recover.

You're far away but all you can do is be there for him and for your mam and family. He sounds like a strong man and a fighter, I'm sure he'll get through this. He is in the best place after all. :hug: xxx

My sister in law died of cirrhosis of the liver 2 years ago.

She was only 35.

It was terrible watching her slowly die in hospital - she kept getting ever so slightly better then would have an internal bleed and it would take her back to square one.

She died of massive internal bleeding in the end.

Im not sure what the success rate is tsia perhaps have a hunt around on google etc he may not have it anything like a severley as she did.

Hoping your grandad is ok:hug:

Whats the difference between Chirrosis and Sclerosis?? I'm confused, is it the same thing??
Just found this..

Sclerosis of the liver causes the inability of the liver to process and metabolize the female hormone and it causes the imbalance of male and female hormone and impotence.
Clinical symptoms include:
  1. exhaustion
  2. fatigue
  3. impotence
  4. loss of appetite
  5. nausea
  6. weakness
  7. weight loss ; as the conditions become serious the follow may occur:
  8. Edema and ascites caused by the inability to make the protein albumin.
  9. Bruising and bleeding. caused by the inability or slowing down in production of the factors needed for blood clotting. Bruises or bleeding occur easily.
  10. Jaundice caused by the inability to absorb enough bilirubin.
  11. Itching caused by bile products deposited in the skin.
  12. Gallstones caused by the inability of the bile to reach the gallbladder.
  13. Toxins in the blood or brain caused by the inability to remove toxins from the blood.. The toxins decrease mental function, like forgetfulness, trouble concentrating, changes in sleep habits and cause personality changes, and may cause coma, and even death.
  14. Sensitivity to medication caused by the inability to filter medications and toxins from the blood; so they act longer than normal and build up in the body and cause more sensitivity to drugs and their side effects.
  15. Portal hypertension caused by the inability to have the normal flow of blood through the portal vein, which increases the pressure inside it (portal hypertension) and causes spleen enlargement.
  16. Varices (varicose veins) caused by the inability of the portal vein to carry the normal amount of blood. Blood from the intestines and spleen backs up into blood vessels in the stomach and esophagus and causes these blood vessels to be enlarged. and causes the wall and the blood vessels to become thin and carry high pressure,. Because of the high pressure and the thin walls, they are likely to burst. If they burst, the result can be bleeding to death unless the patient gets immediate medical attention.
  17. Kidney failure: the portal hypertensiondamages the kidney tubule.
  18. abdominal infection: the ascites can become infected with bacteria from the intestine.
Those 2 in red are what relates to what I described before. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

sclerosis of the liver can also be caused by hepatitis and alcoholism. x

Hope he's better soon. :hug:

Tsia,

Hope your Grandad gets better soon. I don't know answer to your question but i think there is an online medical dictionary that could help, type that into google & im sure it will bring up a few :hug:

awful news hun,
have you rang the hospital as you are a relative and your are so far away i would ring them direct and ask them to explain his condition fully.
they can tell you the why's and the treatment plan.
when someone gets diagnosed with something we tend to google it and the internet search can scare you half to death, so i would ring the hospital and they can tell you the full extent

Thanks Geeks for all your well wishes etc..

Looks like the praying helped! LOL
I got a call from my mum today saying that the drugs are being 'accepted' by his body and working. And also, he is awake and cracking jokes!! :lol:

One thing he has said is no-one to come over in droves visiting, you aint getting rid of me yet, and ye'all are not clocking points for the will! :lol: :lol:

Glad to hear his humour is nearly back to itself after the op! LOL

Once again, thanks for your messages. xxxx:hug:

Glad to hear he's perked up and is on the mend. :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back