Worried about possible acetone damage on client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail Perfection

Reaction score
I have a client that has been having shellac every 2 weeks since May this year. She has recently started to have problems with her nails, especially thumbs, splitting quite far down the nail. I have also been having this problem. Now I do realise that this can be down to the nails being longer and normal and therefore need to be filed down. I have been doing this.

Today when I removed her shellac, using acetone, her index fingernail appears to have fine cracks in the centre of the nail going accross the width.
I could see them but also ran my nail along her nail and could "feel" them.

This client is very good about oiling nails and always wears gloves for dishes etc. My worry is that the regular use of acetone has damaged her nails in some way? I really hope I am wrong and someone can give me advise on this. She also has white spots in the centre of 2 other nails which I know are caused my trauma to the nail. She does not remember doing anything which would have caused the cracks on the nail in question.

On this occassion I oiled her nails and applied a strenthening top coat to give some protection. I decided not to apply shellac this time as it would have to be removed with acetone on 2 weeks and as I am unsure what is causing this, I would rather be safe than sorry. She has booked in for shellac in 2 weeks so if it has not got any worse I am hoping I will be able to do this for her.

Anyone any advice?

Are her nails quite long?

Hiya, no they are only just over the free edge, not long at all.
When I used to give her just a french polish I remember her nails were always short and the french tip made them look longer which she liked.

I am just baffled as to why the cracking has appeared in the middle of the nail?

When you say you are removing with acetone are you using this neat or watering it down slightly,(they do recommend D-solve) how are you 'USING' acetone are you using magi foils or shellac wraps as recommended. How long are you leaving them in/on for?

Is she using a good oil (solar oil as recommended) daily? are you sure?

I some times after removal of one hand will rub a little cuticle eraser into that hand with a blob of solar oil ontop and let that sit with warm towel whilst removing other hand then do the same with other hand this will help a little.

Little white patches you describe are 9/10 dehydration marks.

HTH xx

are you certain she really is using her oil frequently? Only i have a client who is used to long nails, hers have always been in good condition until recently- they're looking a little dry. When i questioned her about this she admitted to not being great with her solar oil use!
I've told her off and hope to see improvement now!

Perhaps encourage your client to use at least twice a day and keep them short.
I would also maybe do a nice warm oil soak too.
When she removes her top coat (or you do) i presume this will be done with acetone/ acetone based product so dont think she will benefit any more from this then having her usual shellac?
Can solar oil penetrate through the top coat like it can shellac too? As if not this could result in being more drying for her nails? Just a thought.
Hope you get to the bottom of it :hug:

The only thing I can think of is that because acetone is very drying it could be causing the nails to become a bit brittle and flakey. Do you soak them or wrap them to remove? x

I use pure acetone, small pieces on cotton wool pads with acetone and then wrap fingers in tin foil. Have never heard of "watering" it down. I did think it might be a good idea to buy dsolve, am I right in thinking it is not as drying as acetone?

On the oil subject I really do think she does oil, however,I have to say that it is not solar oil, would this make a huge difference?

If the white marks could be down to de-hydration what would you say is causing this, the acetone every 2 weeks?

are you certain she really is using her oil frequently? Only i have a client who is used to long nails, hers have always been in good condition until recently- they're looking a little dry. When i questioned her about this she admitted to not being great with her solar oil use!
I've told her off and hope to see improvement now!

Perhaps encourage your client to use at least twice a day and keep them short.
I would also maybe do a nice warm oil soak too.
When she removes her top coat (or you do) i presume this will be done with acetone/ acetone based product so dont think she will benefit any more from this then having her usual shellac?
Can solar oil penetrate through the top coat like it can shellac too? As if not this could result in being more drying for her nails? Just a thought.
Hope you get to the bottom of it :hug:

I will remove her top coat with acetone free remover and it will be a quick wipe rather than 10 mins so this should limit the contact with acetone for 4 weeks. Thanks for the advice.

I use pure acetone, small pieces on cotton wool pads with acetone and then wrap fingers in tin foil. Have never heard of "watering" it down. I did think it might be a good idea to buy dsolve, am I right in thinking it is not as drying as acetone?

On the oil subject I really do think she does oil, however,I have to say that it is not solar oil, would this make a huge difference?

If the white marks could be down to de-hydration what would you say is causing this, the acetone every 2 weeks?

I would most certainly add a little water as I would think using pure acetone is not necessery, I would advise trying d solve. Also I would only ever use solar oil as its the only oil I ever found to actually work and do what it says,, I love this product so much.

Is the lady in question aged 50+??

xx

Yes, if a good quality oil is not used then the nails wont benefit. Solar oil is able to penetrate through the shellac and get down to the nail to keep it hydrated, I dont know if any other branded oils do this but I doubt very much the cheaper shop bought ones will.

Re. the white marks, i've seen it commonly on peoples toes that wear colour most of the time, its caused I believe from both using the removers regularly when changing colour and from having the colour on the nails too, the nail is receiving no oil, with product on top does not regain a good balance of natural oils and gets dehydrated.

Yes she is around 50.

Is it possible to add oil to acetone to make it less drying? Not sure if chemically these would work together. Or maybe even brushing the nails with oil and then apply removal wraps, or am I just be silly?

yes you can, Doug Schoon suggests doing just that in his book. :hug:

Is it possible to add oil to acetone to make it less drying? Not sure if chemically these would work together. Or maybe even brushing the nails with oil and then apply removal wraps, or am I just be silly?

I do this and it does make a difference.

Also, I've been Shellacing my nails regularly, along with daily use of Solar Oil and I have NO DAMAGE to my nails.

HTH! :)

Last edited:
i keep a bottle of acetone and olive oil premixed to soak off with it works wonders to keep from drying the nail plate out.

i keep a bottle of acetone and olive oil premixed to soak off with it works wonders to keep from drying the nail plate out.

Can i ask, how much oil do you use with the acetone and do you then use bowls to soak in that case instead of using wraps?

Hi sorry to jump on thread but i used pure acetone on cotton pad wrapped in foil on a lady today and left on for 10 minutes and the shellac was not removing properly i left on another 10 minutes but virtually had to scrape off a couple of her nails??? why would this happen?

Lisa

Solar oil is able to penetrate through the shellac and get down to the nail to keep it hydrated, I dont know if any other branded oils do this

Surely this cannot be true???

Latest posts

Back