Worst treatments you have had as a client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you going to say something to the company so she doesn't do it to anyone else? That must have been so sore :-(

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Yes, I was thinking I should because it really is sore and wasn't even a Hollywood like I had booked in for! :( I may also suggest they trade test the therapists they have on their books! Xxx

Omg!! What NOT to say to your first client!! And of course 'do'...how can these agencies recruit without seeing proof of your skills?!

Exactly what not to say!! .. I was mobile before I got my salon and whenever someone asked how long I'd been mobile I always said longer and exaggerated and when people asked if I'd been busy, most of the time I said yes even if I hadn't been!! It puts the client at ease I think!! X

Shocking that it seems the majority of us Brits don't say anything! I do some work at an ethnic community centre and if any of the ladies are not 100% happy with their treatment they WILL tell you! And rightly so, they are paying me and I like to know if they aren't happy and why. They are never rude but in my experience foreign ladies are more assertive which I see as a positive?

These stories are the reason I will NEVER have my nether regions waxed lol. *petrified*

These stories are the reason I will NEVER have my nether regions waxed lol. *petrified*

When done properly though the results are amazing and worth it though!! ..xx

I know... But... just ouch lol. I'm not sure I could trust anyone to do it properly, theyigjt have to pin me down lol x

Years ago the first manicure I ever had when I was a teenager left me with permanently damaged thumb nails. Having no prior knowledge I didnt realise that when your cuticles are done it wasnt meant to hurt. And that was at one of the leading salons in town.

Now I'm trained and I know how it should go I'm afraid I'm too gobby to keep quiet and if I dont like something I say so.:twisted:

Ok, so last year I rented a room at a salon locally. Ok so don't judge me as I gave my notice almost as soon as I witnessed this.

So the owner was getting ready for a manicure - I say getting ready, she was getting a manicure bowl out from under the sink. I asked what she uses for a soak..... she lifts a bottle of asda smartprice washing up liquid and squeezed it into the bowl and added hot water from the kettle and said 'fairy makes your hands soft eh?' I thought she was joking but ummm no!

I wasn't very busy as I had just started so I used to help answer phones and clean up etc and I was intrigued to see this manicure.... well she put the clients hands in the washing up liquid solution and then took each hand out, whereby she cleaned under the clients nail.... using her own nail. No cutilcle work, no filing - she dried them using a stained used hairdressers towel and then painted a gloopy mess practically down to the knuckle. I was mortified. So whilst it wasn't my treatment it was horrific to watch

So glad reading these stories that I seem to be well above the bar - cant believe the tip one!!! I only do holistic and some deep tissue but whenever I get a tip I'm over the moon whether its 10 p or 10 pound cause I know that my client is genuinely happy I do wish we would say more when not happy standard would go up I've not been for many treatments myself but got treated to a back scrub and massage by a friend a couple if Christmas' ago well I had to fill in my own consultation form and I found the whole treatment very cold and she left scrub ony back ... I had to get the bus home and it was snowing !!! Made for a v chilly experience and I wouldn't go back !

So glad reading these stories that I seem to be well above the bar - cant believe the tip one!!! I only do holistic and some deep tissue but whenever I get a tip I'm over the moon whether its 10 p or 10 pound cause I know that my client is genuinely happy I do wish we would say more when not happy standard would go up I've not been for many treatments myself but got treated to a back scrub and massage by a friend a couple if Christmas' ago well I had to fill in my own consultation form and I found the whole treatment very cold and she left scrub ony back ... I had to get the bus home and it was snowing !!! Made for a v chilly experience and I wouldn't go back !

I always have the client fill in their own consultation card, I always ask them to ask if they are unsure of anything and then once it has been filled in I look over it and talk them through anything that needs to be talked through, if they have put "no" for everything I check this is correct and proceed with treatment. I do not believe there is anything wrong with this.

This is an excellent thread. A great way to see things from a clients perspective.
I often go to other leading salons and send my staff to them too, just to make sure we are still the best ;)
I went to one in my nearest city and had a blow dry. It was a very uncomfortable experience.
I had extensions at the time. After a 30 second consultation about what I wanted, the stylist proceeded to put products on my hair without telling me what they were, why she was using them etc. Now it may just be that because I'm a stylist, I want to know, but she used some sort of mousse on my extensions which dried them out horribly.
She was also leaving me every 5 minutes to check on a colour she was in the proccess of utterly ruining behind me. I could see what she was doing and she had bleach in foils under heat that she readily told me had been on about an hour. They were pinky orange and about to dissolve from what I could see :eek:
She barely spoke to me throughout the whole service and I felt like I was just getting in her way.
The best bit about it was the lovely receptionist who kept coming to check on me to see if I was ok and offer me coffee. If it wasnt for her I would have seriously complained. I think she sensed I was unhappy and she gave me 10% off for not having the stylists full attention.
I came out and my husband said I looked better when I went in than when I came out.
I learned alot from a clients view so it was worth it - if only to remember how NOT to do things!
xx

had a bikini wax and underarm done with no i repeat lol nooooo stretching...

dear dear god i was traumatised for a week after lols

never seen me hands move as quick to give a good stretch when i seen the 'therapist' was doing it with no stretching

ooo god

Loving this thread, fab to see it from a clients perspective.

I often visit other salons for a "pamper" just to check out what I should or should not be doing. I wish I had the pennies to do it more often.

I have had a few:

One was a full leg wax and the room they showed me into the bed was pushed up against the wall and at the foot of the bed too, the teeny tiny therapist had to lean right over me to wax and did not stretch on my thighs, queue bruised like you wouldnt believe!

Another I have had a Brazillian where I asked her to make sure she got everything "underneath" as they hadnt previously, she used warm wax and took my skin with it.

Had my ears pierced so close to the bottom of the lobe that the earring had about 1mm of flesh holding it there, had to grow them over and they said they would re-do (I was only 14 so I went back!) they pierced so close to the original hole that when a friend hugged me it pulled the stud through to the original hole. Sick. To this day I cannot deal with people touching my ears.

I think it makes you much more aware of what you are doing, its lovely to have fab treatments not just for the obvious but so that you can adopt bits and pieces that make your services extra special!

Great thread :)
My worst experience was an underarm wax; no stretching, all applied in one direction (mainly against the hairgrowth!) & the snapped hairs attacked with tweezers...ouch!!
I now insist on doing all my own waxing, even though it's not ideal.
I would rather struggle myself than risk having an inexperienced/underqualified therapist do a rubbish job.
I never returned to the salon but being a typical Brit never complained either!!

I was trained to always go through the consultation with the client one to one as often people will not give information that could be pertinent to the treatment when left to their own devices and it also helps to build a good relationship with the client but each to their own I didn't mean any offence by my post x

Ok, so last year I rented a room at a salon locally. Ok so don't judge me as I gave my notice almost as soon as I witnessed this.

So the owner was getting ready for a manicure - I say getting ready, she was getting a manicure bowl out from under the sink. I asked what she uses for a soak..... she lifts a bottle of asda smartprice washing up liquid and squeezed it into the bowl and added hot water from the kettle and said 'fairy makes your hands soft eh?' I thought she was joking but ummm no!

I wasn't very busy as I had just started so I used to help answer phones and clean up etc and I was intrigued to see this manicure.... well she put the clients hands in the washing up liquid solution and then took each hand out, whereby she cleaned under the clients nail.... using her own nail. No cutilcle work, no filing - she dried them using a stained used hairdressers towel and then painted a gloopy mess practically down to the knuckle. I was mortified. So whilst it wasn't my treatment it was horrific to watch

Urrrgh this literally made me grimace!

I was working in a salon where they did hair and beauty treatments.

I've been trained that hairdressing and beauty have separate towels and they are washed and dried every day then put away.

Well I was disgusted to learn the towels in the couch bed were merely flipped over and the towels used by the hairdressers were merely hung out at the end of the day on a
clothes rack and reused the next day for both Beauty and hairdressing clients.

So in a nut shell of u have a cut and blow dry the towel was placed in a basket , the end of the day we all hung the towels to air dry and used them on a client who came in for a facial, massage or whatever.

So towels weren't dried thoroughly and when you used them on clients feet for a pedicure there was hair all over their feet!!!
It was an upscale salon, had high end products and best customer service you could ask for.
Would I have a treatment with them yes but i'd bring my own bloody towels first!!lol

Lolla your story had me giggling away there. Sounds absolutely horrendous.

I was trained to always go through the consultation with the client one to one as often people will not give information that could be pertinent to the treatment when left to their own devices and it also helps to build a good relationship with the client but each to their own I didn't mean any offence by my post x

Ohh no offence taken chilllysquibbles, just saying! I thikn this is pretty normal. unless they let you fill it in and then don't even bother to look or go through it afterwards! :)

Years ago I went for a massage at a home salon and was taken upstairs. The room looked like a bedroom so I asked if it was her clinic. She said she didn't do much work so just used her bedroom.

I was supposed to have the massage on the normal bed and I swear the covers on the bed were what she'd slept on! Then the front door slammed and she shouted downstairs 'won't be too long just got a lady up here'. There was no way I was staying so I made my excuses and said a friend was ill. she must have thought I had second sight as I hadn't even spoken to anyone on my phone.

I still shudder when I think about it.

omg!

Latest posts

Back