Worst treatments you have had as a client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After my therapist had decide what massage I needed (!) she did the back massage using the same light effleurage movement for most of the treatment. She didn't ask if Id like any more pressure etc to which Id of said Yes! Lots!

So im listening to the washing machine on spin cycle when her cat comes bursting into the room. I like cats but not whilst im having a treatment. She says 'oh do you like cats?' and even though i love them, i didn't want it sitting and looking at me from up under the face hole. So I said not really im more of a dog person. She didn't say anything and carried on.

5 mins later the cat jumps up onto the bed and snuggles down on the back of my legs on the back of my knees...she didn't remove him so after a few seconds I let her know, in case she hadn't seen the big ginger moggy, that the cat was on my legs and wriggled a bit to try to get it off. She giggled and said 'oh that's jack, he's very friendly'...and left him to it. So there he stayed for the rest of the treatment coz i didn't have the balls to tell her to get him off. Good job I secretly liked cats or wasn't allergic. Should have said I was allergic!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

That happened to a client of mine, a cat jumped on her belly during massage no apologies jet left him there! I panic if my dog barks once when my ladies are in.

Do you tell your therapists that your in the same profession? Do you think they do it on purpose as your not worth the effort? Or do you think telling them might make them work harder? Something I worry when I go for treatments.

Can't believe what I'm reading!! Gives us bad rep!

I explain everything and always ask clients what they like.

Having my eyebrows waxed at salons has always been a bad experience for me. I tell them that I do not want thin brows but they always do them thin and/ or the wax is to hot and I end up looking like I have been in a fight the next day with sore brows and the there was the time I poped in to a NSS (this was before I trained in beauty and didn't know the differance) the girl waxed them and then started tidying them up with a razor blade, I just froze in the chair and prayed that neither me or her sneezed. X

I used to work in a busy 4* spa, if i knew my client i was doin was a therapist for some reason i would panic not wantin her to think i was incompetant or a useless therapist!! I'd always make sure the treatment was fantastic... Not that they werent normally ;-)

This isn't really a bad treatment as such, but when i was 13 years old my best friend was having a birthday party and some of us were going to a salon first to get treatments. I had my legs and eyebrows waxed at 13 years old, she never done a consultation at all, I never needed a parental consent letter or a parent there and no aftercare. I remember having a panic, because I thought I had an allergic reaction as I had red dots all over my legs afterwards. (now obv i know thats normal) Its funny when you look back when you're qualifed and know that she should have done all that lol.
xxxxx

LOVING this thread! Unfortunately (or fortunately) never been to another therapist for anything :( x

Having my eyebrows waxed at salons has always been a bad experience for me. I tell them that I do not want thin brows but they always do them thin and/ or the wax is to hot and I end up looking like I have been in a fight the next day with sore brows and the there was the time I poped in to a NSS (this was before I trained in beauty and didn't know the differance) the girl waxed them and then started tidying them up with a razor blade, I just froze in the chair and prayed that neither me or her sneezed. X

GOOD FREAKIN GOD!! How bloody dangerous. I literally just recoiled in horror!!

Wowzas how do the businesses that these people work for survive? Where are the basic standards of health and hygiene? Some Stylists/Therapists don't take any pride in their work and obviously don't worry about the possible comeback! Xx

After reading all these stories, I decided to share mine ;).

I actually have 2 and both are about hair.

I have very thick (thicker that average) and long hair. Normally this would take up to 2 hours and most of the time I am being charged the highest rate due to the thickness and length.

1. I went to hairdressers for a wash, cut and blow dry + threading package. I rang the salon and asked for evening appointment, as at the time my daughter was very little and I had to wait for the hubby to come home. I told them over the phone what my hair are like and that it might take longer than for any other client. So they booked me for 5 reassuring that they will manage by 6, when the salon was closing. I arrived on time and waited for about 15 mins for them to finish another client.

The threading was ok. but the hair!!! They were so desperate to go home on time that one side ended up being shorter than the other and they didn't dry the hair properly. When I pointed out that it is wet underneath (they only dryied the tops, so that it looks dry) they came up with the following answer: "I it is windy outside, so it will dry by the time you get home". I was March and I just recovered from cold.

2. The other place was where I was fairly regular and I had a variety of threatments. My hairdresser has left and I was booked with someone else. This time on top of my usual, I also had to tint my roots with permanent color.

All the way through the appointment she was asking me personal questions, irrelevant to the treatment, even though I made it clear that I want to read my book.

She applied color and left me for it to develop and started to apply the color on another client, who has arrived straight after me and apparently this is the way they book people. So, she applied color on the other client within about 15 mins and came to check on me. After a glance at my hair I was informed that the colour is lovely and we can wash it off. :eek:

While washing she started to push the treatment and say haw bad my hair are. And I know that they are not, as I look of them very well. But she went on and on and even though I made it clear that I don't want this treatment and will not pay for it, she still applied it. I was told to wait for 10 minutes for it to work and she went to other client. after 10 min I said that the time is up. "I am coming" was the answer. She only came when it were 30 mins and the treatment started to run down my face and was spotted wiping it.

The color was not lovely at all, as it was patchy. To which the hairdresser replied that it is the way I see it because of the light. I doubted myself then but went home and got my hubby to check and he confirmed the worst. Had to go elsewhere to re-do.

I never say that I also work in beauty industry, as I find that they treat you as a mate, kind of "she is a therapist, she will understand" attitude and I think they don't give you 100% if they know who you are.

I went to a local salon this week for a hollywood wax. The treatment wasn't awful, but their customer service was a bit rubbish.

I go there every month and they know i'm a therapist too. My usual girl was on holiday, but i don't mind who does my waxing so they booked me in with another therapist. I got to the appointment a couple of minutes early and was told by a new girl to have a seat and my therapist would be ready shortly and the girl went into a treatment room and told her i was waiting.

About 10 minutes later, after going back into the room, the new girl asked if i was ready and it was made apparent that she was going to be doing my waxing. That was fine with me. The first problem was that she was very slow and it took an entire hour!

The second problem was that during our conversation, she told me the reason my original therapist wasn't doing my treatment was because they had a gap so she decided to do a treatment to the receptionist and they ran over.

I'm pretty relaxed, so this didn't upset me, though i will definitely book in with my usual therapist from now on, but poor customer service xx

Anyone had a dodgy treatment recently? ;)

I had my toes Gelished at a salon (can't do my own, back issues) - the girl was lovely but she kept referring to the Gelish as Shellac (Grrr!!) and didn't do any cuticle work - needless to say they started popping off the next day :(

No wonder some people think Gelish/gel polishes are pants, as some people don't apply them correctly! Clients won't always think that it's down to the therapist and blame the product.

Had pre-holiday waxing back in July. It was just horrific. Scruffy & dirty (the bin was overflowing), therapist wasn't engaged at all, she said to me 'Just sit on the bed I'll be a couple of minutes' & went out of the room, so I sat there until she came back & she wondered why I hadn't put those horrendous, pointless black disposable pants on, 'erm because you didn't tell me to' -.-

It was meant to be a hollywood, she waxed pubic bone area, down the sides & said 'all finished'. I told her I wanted it all removed so got on all fours etc...had to get her to come back into the room to get some she had missed, she went out again so I could get dressed & she had still missed some. I wasn't going to call her back in so I just shaved when I got home.

I was just perplexed. I complained & got my money back (£35!) so not worth it

A few years back before I became qualified, my usual nail tech stopped working mobile so I booked in to another salon for a refill. The girl decided I needed a fresh set so she removed my acrylics with a cuticle nippers, hacking them off one by one, while banging on about a sun holiday she was going on with her boyfriend the next day. When she was finished butchering my nails she had another girl do the acrylics on my other hand to save her time.... Ugh! I wish that I knew then what I know now!

This thread has really made me laugh, especially about the cats jumping up, lol.

My worst experience was years ago, I had a perm (in the 80's) and the perming lotion burnt a hole in the back of my neck. I don't know anything about hairdressing, I didn't complain, just lived for a few weeks with my neck feeling sore and scabby !

b) a blow dry where I ended up with neck ache for 2 days afterwards where she had been pulling down and curling under my shoulder length bob SO HARD that I had to use all the muscles in my neck and shoulders just to stay upright.... didn't feel I could say anything, she was fearsome :eek: (but didn't go back)

Ha ha ha ha aha haahahhah aha ha I can not stop laughing ...I can just picture that one! PRICELESS. Thanks for sharing.

My normal hairdresser was on holiday and I had a party so I went to a mobile hairdresser for a full head highlights cut and finish.
After waiting 15 mins outside her house she took me inside and upstairs into her children's bedroom and sat on a child's stool as she unpacked her asda shopping. She put both children in the room with me (about 1 year old and 2 year old) and turned on the cartoons. She did the colour whilst attending to the children every 5 mins to keep entertained, sent me to her bathroom to wash using mum and me baby shampoo (she had no conditioner) she quickly cut my hair after complaining how knotty it was and handed me a mirror and asked what I thought? I said yep it looks ok but I'll be able to see colour better when you've dried it. Oh I've left my hair dryer at my mums, you can wait here until it dries if you like? I said I will have to go home and dry myself (it was really yellow blonde) as I had somewhere to go and she still charged full price. I definitely should have said more.

Also when I was about 19 I had a set of bumby acrylics from a gift voucher for a nice salon my bf had treated me to for my bday. They tried to file down the acrylics so much they made most of my fingers bleed at the sides :( (and continued using the file!)

I know this might sound really REALLY petty, but, I went for a massage last week (no cats this time, hurrah!) in a salon. Was made up so give the lady a £2 tip, not much but im always happy to get even that...I handed it to her and she just said "Oh..." and put it in her pocket...no thanks or a smile. Felt like Id insulted her with my measly gesture! Not that im looking for the gratification of the "thanks!" but I think it's just polite with clients to seem grateful?!

Ha ha ha that post just made me think of something that happened to me....

I have a hair salon but am not a practicing hairdresser although I have been told I wash hair very well! One day just after I purchased the salon the girls asked me to help them do some odd bits for them, as they were manic. A very loyal lovely old lady needed her hair washing so being helpful I did what I was told and everything went smoothly....I had a chat to her, made her tea and carried on doing the rest of my jobs out the back.....Next thing I knew she was wandering around the staff room looking for me....she came up to me and handed me a 20p and said " You did a very good job washing my hair as a new junior dear, I will be sure to tell your boss how good you are"....well ...I didn't have the heart to tell her I was the boss...but I very quickly thanked her for the kind thoughts and hoped to see her again....ha ha

Bumpy and uneven acrylics 7 years ago at a nail technician's home with her cheeky little toddler bouncing around. That's not the bad bit. They cost a bomb and all fell off BEFORE I got to the airport the next day!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

First set of beautiful French acrylic extensions for my holiday, I was really excited. On day 2 all but 3 came off in the pool! Now I know that they were applied with no prep but I was told to wash my hands first to remove oils from my nails. This was at an expensive salon!
Also I went to the 'head stylist' as I was so fed up with my hair style and brassy colour. He said I needed a warmer tone and I came out looking 10 years older with manky mousy brown hair in a style like my gran. And it cost me twice what I'd ever paid before! Grrr
My niece asked my to do her nails last week. She'd had acrylics done the day before and her cuticles were ripped and ragged, in a real mess. £29, 45 minutes and you sit in a queue and there's a row of nail techs like a factory production line :(

The first time I had my eyelash extensions I called a lady who lived a few miles from me who worked from home. When I arrived I was ushered into her lounge where there was a couch...her boyfriend watching TV and eating his dinner and three kids under the age of 5!! AWFUL

Anyhow she asked me what length I wanted and proceeded to carry out the service....The next thing I know, in pitch black (as I had my eyes closed and couldn't open them) was the front door bell ringing, she proceeds to go and answer it and stands outside for at least ten minutes(not to mention getting the phone every time it rang) ....the husband must have taken his plate out to the kitchen as one of the kids opened the patio doors in the lounge and let the dog in which proceeded to jump up at the table I was laying on. The kid cracked it's head under the table trying to get the dog out and the other must have stood on the TV remote as the volume must have exceeded 50+...

Anyway things got back under control, she managed to finish in 2.5 hours ...I opened my eyes to witness her husband half naked walking through to the kitchen ...............and I happily went on my way...however she had used cotton wool under my eyes to hold the bottom lashes down....it felt like I had stones in my eyes for at least a week...the worst ever service.

Latest posts

Back